New Product Name Guess Roundup

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post

The spreadsheet app should be called "Census." The iWork apps seem to be named after the product that you create with them. And not just the simple product (Keynote is not called "Presentation" or "Slideshow") but the lavish, great product that could be created with them. "Keynote" is not something most users will make with that software, but they could. So "Numbers" makes no sense, as that isn't the product to be created with the software. And "Spreadsheet" is too simple, again, Keynote is not called "Slideshow." Hence, "Census."

Who uses a spreadsheet to survey populations?
  • Reply 42 of 55
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

The spreadsheet app should be called "Census." The iWork apps seem to be named after the product that you create with them. And not just the simple product (Keynote is not called "Presentation" or "Slideshow") but the lavish, great product that could be created with them. "Keynote" is not something most users will make with that software, but they could. So "Numbers" makes no sense, as that isn't the product to be created with the software. And "Spreadsheet" is too simple, again, Keynote is not called "Slideshow." Hence, "Census."

Um, you forgot Charts, more likely. Also Keynote was made for Keynotes, and Presentation or Slideshow is just boring. For now the codename according to a July 06 Think Secret article is Lasso.

Quote:

The iTV should be called "Front Row." It will essentially do the same thing as Front Row, the software that ships with Macs and the physical device can become interchangeable.

No it doesn't do the same thing. The iTV streams content using Front Row's GUI, Front Row is a Graphical Shell for iTunes, iPhoto, Quicktime, and DVD Player.

Quote:

The iPhone should be called "iTalk." It will use the "i" naming convention, as they will want to maximize off the iPod's success, and also it will integrate with iTunes. The "i" devices are generally named after the thing you do with them, in its passive form, not the "verb" form of it. iTunes is not "iListen," which would be the activity you do with it, but "iTunes," the thing you manipulate with it. In "iMovie," "Movie" is not a verb. They could have used "iFilm," as in "I film stuff," but they do not use the actions, rather they use the product. "iCal" is passive, rather than the action, "iSchedule." For the phone, "iChat" would be the perfect name, but that is already taken. There is the possibility that Apple will combine their phone and their iChat app into one. The text messaging could be integrated somehow with iChat, and then the phone would be called 'iChat." But this is unlikely, so I would go with "iTalk."

iTalk is taken, I forgot who has it though, probably a company named iTalk. People also focus too much on the Phone Aspects of it, according to an article here on Apple Insider, Apple believes Phones and Computers will converge, or Phones will be more computer like. The idea of calling a Cell Phone a Cell Phone is a subject of debate in the Mobile Phone industry because of the changing dynamics of the market and the additions to phones. A phone is essentially the wrong thing to call them right now, and I believe Apple's "phone" will be much more then a "phone" that plays music.

Quote:

There is also the possibility that the new video iPod and the phone will be the same device, and it will just be called the iPod, but this, too, is highly unlikely.

Damn Straight it's unlikely! The iPod is a media playback device, while trying to take a phone, a mini computer, and a media playback device, and combine it into one turns something into the Jack of All trades but the best at nothing. Media Playback in the "phone" is likely, but it will NOT be it's main selling point. Think of Apple's "Phone" as the Dumb Sidekick of the Mac, but in the case of PC Compatibility, the Phone is the smart one (why do you think Smartphone makers call them that )

Sebastian
  • Reply 43 of 55
    iPhone = The Apple Core

Huh? Huh? 8)
  • Reply 44 of 55
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

What about Hello for the iphone?

It fits with the original mac ads

Say hello again!

I think

hello

is pretty genius for the iphone.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

I think

hello

is pretty genius for the iphone.

I like the name "Hello" best, but I doubt Apple will use it.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

No it doesn't do the same thing. The iTV streams content using Front Row's GUI, Front Row is a Graphical Shell for iTunes, iPhoto, Quicktime, and DVD Player.

iTV and Front row both play the same media in the same way. It's just, one does it on your Mac and one does it on your TV. They could be named the same thing, since they are the same thing, just on different platforms.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

iTalk is taken, I forgot who has it though, probably a company named iTalk. People also focus too much on the Phone Aspects of it, according to an article here on Apple Insider, Apple believes Phones and Computers will converge, or Phones will be more computer like. The idea of calling a Cell Phone a Cell Phone is a subject of debate in the Mobile Phone industry because of the changing dynamics of the market and the additions to phones. A phone is essentially the wrong thing to call them right now, and I believe Apple's "phone" will be much more then a "phone" that plays music.

Seriously, a phone with iChat integration somehow would be nice.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Seriously, a phone with iChat integration somehow would be nice.

iChat Integration as in you can log in on your phone and send Messages, Voice Messages, and Video messages. That would rock

Sebastian
  • Reply 49 of 55
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    iCan'tBelieveIt'sNotButter
  • Reply 50 of 55
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Cineport

iPod tele
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jccbin View Post

Cineport

iPod tele

No thoughts?
  • Reply 52 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jccbin View Post

Cineport

iPod tele

I'm no genius, but back to the drawing board.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    well, yes. But really, a brainstorming approach might be better. You know, no criticising, just more ideas. That is if you want to play the game.

iPod tuna

iPod wireless

iPod bubba

iPod comlink (obscure Space:1999 reference)

iPod voda

iPod voip

iPod devito
  • Reply 54 of 55
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    "iPhone": iPod phone (or maybe iPod mobile)

"iTV": iPod TV (or maybe iTunes TV)

Wide-touchscreen iPod: iPod theater (that sounds good to me)

Tablet: won't be announced

30th Anniv. Mac: won't be announced

Spreadsheet app in iWork: Sheets

Database app in iWork: won't be announced
  • Reply 55 of 55
    I think iPhone will just be called "Apple Phone" by someone.