How much RAM do you have?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    I purchased a MBP 15" two months ago as CBO with 3 GB ram and 160 GB 7200rpm HD. It's fast but had a lot of kernal panics. On new years eve, Apple replaced the logic board (an expensive service) but still had kernal panics and then they just replaced both ram modules. I just picked it up and it is happy now.

All in all this laptop has rung up a price to about $6000.00. Not a good start for Apple on this laptop. I am hoping that it has settled in. I do use the 3 GB ram. I also have Menumeter guage and shows the C2D processors working but they rather work more independently than in conjunction...perhaps because not all the apps are Universal B. yet.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    I forgot to mention...anyone planning on purchasing MBP with 3 GB ram, it is actually cheaper to purchase it from Apple as it is $575.00 vs other vendors at around $615.00 and up.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    cbacba Posts: 53member
    16 gig with newly ordered pro oh yep
  • Reply 44 of 72
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I have a MBP with 2.16 ghz C2D and 2 gbs of RAM. I might have been able to get by with 1 gb but I'm glad I've got 2. Most of the time I seem to use about 1 gb according to my iStat nano. That will probably change as I'm looking to get photoshop or ps elements(if it ever makes it to market).
  • Reply 45 of 72
    512 in the Mini... It works
  • Reply 46 of 72
    2.5 in my Dual Processor 2ghz G5 - all 8 ram slots full

2.5 in my Dual Core 2ghz G5 - 4/8 full, so room to add
  • Reply 47 of 72
    3GB in my work PowerMac G5 Dual, 1.25 GB in my personal PowerBook G4, 1GB in the house Intel MacMini, and 2GB coming in my new work MacBook Pro (whenever the PO goes through). The Mini has three users almost always logged in concurrently, and it definitely slogs under the load. At this point, I wouldn't get anything less than 2G if I could help it. Then again, I'm pretty demanding on my machines.

The work PowerMac was upgraded recently from 1GB to 3GB and it made all the difference.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    2 gig in my Black MacBook C2D
  • Reply 49 of 72
    I have 2 GB installed on my MacBook Pro and it still gets full of inactive memory and runs awfully slow. Crap!
  • Reply 50 of 72
    I just bought a MBP with 2gb. If apple didn't charge so much for ram I would have gotten 3 just to have it for the future. But I suppose that upgrading ram as you need it is a better route than to buy initially buy with to much ram. Since ram prices always fall you'll be able to get more ram at a later date for cheaper than you can now.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

I have 2 GB installed on my MacBook Pro and it still gets full of inactive memory and runs awfully slow. Crap!

What apps are you running?
  • Reply 52 of 72
    2GB and i yearn for 3 now.
  • Reply 53 of 72
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I'm maxed out at 4MB on my Mac Plus.

I remember maxing out my original Mac LC to 10MB, then finding out the MacOS could only see 8MB.

Good times.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by duzledwarf View Post

256MB in my 800mhz G4, and man does it ever have some snap!

Dude! get yourself a 512 MB Dimm, for that box, it should be about $35 on newegg...and the performance, even if you replace it 4-6 months from now, will be worth it.

I use 512 and can take a nap during beach ball sessions when I am doing serious work (10 tabs in FF, a 2nd FF window for Sirius, MS Word with 2-3 docs open and address book) As soon as I get a full-time job, I am getting a gig for this, then in 6 months or so, I am going to get another mini, this time with 2 gig!
  • Reply 55 of 72
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    3 GB in my 24" iMac 2.33 Ghz

2 GB in MBP CD and Mini CD
  • Reply 56 of 72
    I'm getting a MacMini in few weeks - first Mac ever. Initially I was going to stick 1GB into it but now I'm thinking 2GB would be better.

Do Macs need so much RAM simply because of different usage pattern (to the windows users that is - keeping all the apps open etc.) or is it a Mac OS X thing?

What do you think the performance would be like with 1GB while doing stuff like video conferencing, listening to music, browsing ... (all at the same time)?

Thanx
  • Reply 57 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daroza View Post

I'm getting a MacMini in few weeks - first Mac ever. Initially I was going to stick 1GB into it but now I'm thinking 2GB would be better.

Do Macs need so much RAM simply because of different usage pattern (to the windows users that is - keeping all the apps open etc.) or is it a Mac OS X thing?

What do you think the performance would be like with 1GB while doing stuff like video conferencing, listening to music, browsing ... (all at the same time)?

Thanx

The short answer is no. The long answer is "everyone here is a raving lunatic fanatic and we don't want the other guy out doing us."

I do a product catalog (InDesign) and video editing on my iMac, MBP CD, and Intel Mini.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TekMate View Post

I find 1 gig to be good for most OSs although if given the chance I certainly will go for more.

However, if you are running Vista, note I am testing it here at work, with a 1 gig of DDR, Vista rates it at 3.6 our of 5 . . . . 1 gig of ram is good for most Macintosh Operating Systems at least 8)

-iGrant
  • Reply 59 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

The short answer is no. The long answer is "everyone here is a raving lunatic fanatic and we don't want the other guy out doing us."

I do a product catalog (InDesign) and video editing on my iMac, MBP CD, and Intel Mini.

I don't think your assesment is fair or accurate.

How much memory needed is really dependent on how many programs you keep running. A lot of people might do well with 1GB but the size of many OSX programs and the number of programs running often uses more memory. If I add FCE work to the mix, I find I need 2.5GB or have to shut down other software to keep it from hitting the hard drive too much. Sometimes I end up killing Dashboard because the widgets are bloated for what little they do. I can generally do well with about half as much memory on my Windows computers as I would with my Macs.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think your assesment is fair or accurate.

How much memory needed is really dependent on how many programs you keep running. A lot of people might do well with 1GB but the size of many OSX programs and the number of programs running often uses more memory. If I add FCE work to the mix, I find I need 2.5GB or have to shut down other software to keep it from hitting the hard drive too much. Sometimes I end up killing Dashboard because the widgets are bloated for what little they do. I can generally do well with about half as much memory on my Windows computers as I would with my Macs.

Of course. I was being funny.

Funny you need 2.5GB ram for FCE work when 2 GB does me fine with other programs running (MS Word, etc.).

Also, my windows computers do not do well with less than 1 GB ram but I don't do anything but ACAD and some large print jobs on them.