Could Movie Downloads be Coming???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The teaser looks like some kind of projector (or sun rising, or stage lighting, or just about anything anyone wants it to look like).

Now the movie industry is approving a CSS system for movie copying to DVD.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TECH/int....ap/index.html

DO you think Apple has the first jump at this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Blimey! I reckon you've sussed this out!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Three posts. Same style. Automatic response creator?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The teaser looks like some kind of projector (or sun rising, or stage lighting, or just about anything anyone wants it to look like).

Now the movie industry is approving a CSS system for movie copying to DVD.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TECH/int....ap/index.html

DO you think Apple has the first jump at this?

Very plausible i think!

The graphics does indeed associate to a movie theater projection.

Would it possible for Apple to sell HD movies via itunes/iTV using the h.264 codec? How big a file would be needed for a full HD resolution (1920x1280) Movie?

With all the HD ready TVs around, that would be a major business!

The HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are both gonna be obsolete : - )
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Three posts. Same style. Automatic response creator?

Good one mate! I nearly spit me lager all over me crisps!
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Troll. Welcome to my ignore list.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    It does smack of STEVENESS he is all about owning and burning with the appropriate DRM. That is what launched itms. His belief that people will buy things legally if you give them the opportunity to do so easily.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    i just hope movie downloads are comming to the UK!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I thought there already were movie downloads.

To me, the lack of burning is a huge limitation on movies, relative to the DRM for music. If the MPAA is approving this, I'm sure it will come to videos sold through iTunes.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    It could be movie on demand like theatrical movie trailers in front row. Choose from the menu pay a couple of dollars. then the movie streams to your "iTV" or mac (unlimited re-runs). no need for storage on base unit. what do you guys think?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Since September, I've been thinking that iTV is a scaled down Mac mini, sans optical drive, based on Intel's Santa Rosa platform and a Celeron chip of some sort. Either a 1.8" or 2.5" HD. Maybe a bit of flash memory (Robson). Of course 802.11n. Some sort of scaled down OS X and Front Row 2.0.

My guess from the beginning was that iTV would not only stream files from iTunes to your TV but also from iTunes online. I don't see any reason why you couldn't rent a movie from your TV and have it streamed directly to iTV and your TV. It'd be temporarily stored on the iTV's HD for a finite period of time and then disappear. If you want to buy a movie, you would download it to your computer and you'd also have the right to burn it to a DVD. At least that's how I think it'll work.

The movie studios wanted stricter protection of their movies and the iTV has built-in copy protection, thanks to Intel's hardware technology. My guess is Apple would also cover the software side with a modified version of its DRM.

I hope Apple can increase the resolution of its downloads to 1080p at some point. Doesn't seem worth it to buy anything lower res than that if you have a 1080p set, IMO.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    But isn't the whole iTV thing about High def movies?

Why would you even want to launch a download service today if it isn't HD? I mean almost every single TV that is sold today is HD ready.

So i think iTV is gonna be a service for downloading HD movies and shows.

THAT would be a huge business, since you cant really get HD movies elsewhere, and almost everybody owns a HD tv.

The question is, how much bandwith do you actually need to be able to stream a 1080p HD movie, when using h.264 codec?

• Reply 12 of 12
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Most consumers do not own HDTVs. Most people don't even have broadband in the home. Most people who buy large flat panel TVs don't even get sets with a 1080p resolution. Here's what's going on: Millions miffed at poor quality from holiday HDTV purchase

High Definition Hyped, But Many Consumers Remain Wary

Consumer confusion slows down adoption of HDTV

As you can see, it's a mess out there. Some HDTVs do a good job of upscaling SD and some are dreadful. Consumers are confused, befuddled, and pissed. That very mess is one of the reasons why some think it'd be a good idea for Apple to come out with an HDTV set of its own with built-in iTV.

If you want to download 1080p movies, you'll need at least a 5Mbps connection to make it a satisfying experience. I have that with my DSL service and many people with cable can get up to 6Mbps. A few people have fiber optic speeds of 15Mbps via Verizon's FiOS. Far more people can benefit from SD downloads than HD downloads.

As for iTV, it's HD from the get go. The issue is when will Apple think it's a good time to start making HD resolutions available. Maybe it'll happen right away with the introduction of the iTV, who knows.