Anyone here use a Mac for a living?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I noticed alot of Mac affectionados here, mostly high school and college students and users at home, but for out of school professionals:

1. How many here earn 100% of their paycheck (if they have a fulltime job) from using a Mac OsX operating system.

2. What program do you primarily use (excluding Word & Excel)

3. Is this a single Mac or a series of Macs networked (more than 5) outfitted at your office.

Just wondering because I work with Macs (for a living) and 98% of my friends use PC's at their offices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I use Pro Tools as an audio engineer working on projects for Film,TV,DVD and Blu-ray.

In the Sound Department, we probably have a 75 Macs used for day-to-day production, a number of Xserves and a couple Xserve RAIDs (most of our 23TB of storage is non-Apple).
  • Reply 2 of 13
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I don't do much computer work per se for my job, but I have a Mac in my orifice that I use for email, word processing, and other basic office stuff. It's hooked up with several hundred other computers, probably 75% PC and 25% Mac. And I have a small computer lab (5 old iMacs) I use to run experiments. I create the programs for the lab in Realbasic. I also extensively use statistics software - SPSS and lately, R. I use keynote to create presentations.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I use Pro Tools as an audio engineer working on projects for Film,TV,DVD and Blu-ray.

In the Sound Department, we probably have a 75 Macs used for day-to-day production, a number of Xserves and a couple Xserve RAIDs (most of our 23TB of storage is non-Apple).

right on Cake...I dont feel alone here.

I heard the Apple and Avid dispute ended up

Avid going PC on most of their new programs (Apple apparently pushed FCP too hard)

know anything about that? I will be at NABET this spring, you going?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I use Realbasic to make 100% of all my money, I'm a college student so I dont exactly live on it.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I do 100% of my research, note-taking, case-briefing, outlining, test-taking, and bill-paying on here for school.

It's a complete drag waiting for the native version of office...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    My dock at home. Dock at work is probably not much different.

• Reply 7 of 13
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    i never got into omni outliner for some reason.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

i never got into omni outliner for some reason.

It is essential.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    As a graphic designer and web developer, my job revolves around photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, flash, fireworks, xpad, transmit, cssedit, firefox, free ruler, acrobat professional, quark (yes i still have to use it from time to time), and indesign.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Software engineering researcher, use exclusively MacOS X. The Unix underbelly and the solid and stellar GUI apps make it a no brainer for me. It's fun tweaking people's brains though. "Oh, you're using a Mac... artist?" "No, CS researcher." "But... I thought Macs were only for artists?" "Nope." "Oh, well, you'll change eventually I guess." "Well, it's gotten me through my doctorate just fine..." ".... oh."

TeXShop, TextMate, BibDesk (<3), OmniOutliner/Graffle, and Terminal are my Most Common Apps, in addition to the usual suspects.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I use 3 macs in my office, for my job (surgeon)

I use a patient file and comptability system.

It's not 100 % of my living. But it's impossible today to work without computers
  • Reply 12 of 13
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    All the typical print publishing stuff Adobe CS2, Quark, etc. One PPC and one Intel mac at my desk (and one PC - although with Parallels it's getting a lot less use).
  • Reply 13 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Software engineering researcher, use exclusively MacOS X. The Unix underbelly and the solid and stellar GUI apps make it a no brainer for me. It's fun tweaking people's brains though. "Oh, you're using a Mac... artist?" "No, CS researcher." "But... I thought Macs were only for artists?" "Nope." "Oh, well, you'll change eventually I guess." "Well, it's gotten me through my doctorate just fine..." ".... oh."

There's a Get a Mac ad right there. I can see it now, PC guy criticizing the Mac guy for listening to emo and blogging and then he turns up in his robes.

When I was at uni, most of the professors there were on either Linux or Mac OS X too. I don't know why people get the perception it's just a toy when they use a system that has a wacky cartoon dog that appears when you search for stuff and a paperclip when you need help:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-100