Jobs more excited about phone project than the Mac...'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/...ney/mobile.php

Quote:

Whatever his business strategy, Jobs is certain to have an impact. Recently, he told two associates, who asked not to be identified to avoid damaging their relationship with him, that he was more excited about his current project than he was about the Macintosh.

If that's true, this event is certain to be very exciting and would lend itself to justification for the Apple.com graphic. Considering that Apple simply added a brighter screen, better battery, gapeless playback, and a lower price on the last iPod, it wouldn't be hard to see Apple just giving us a nicely designed by rather standard cell phone (if they even plan to). Maybe they have something way more advanced and "earth shattering" planned?

They have an entire division dedicated to the iPod, afterall...

Maybe Apple is going to deliver a product that not even we could dream up, in all of this pre-keynote absurdity.

Quote:

Industry executives and competitors say that Apple has developed the first of the next generation of devices that are closer to personal computers in pocket form, meaning that they will easily handle music, entertainment, productivity tasks and communications on cellular and other wireless networks.

Quote:

"Apple is about to touch off a nuclear war," said Paul Mercer, a software designer and president of Iventor, a designer of software for hand-helds based in Palo Alto, California. "The Nokias and the Motorolas will have to respond."

Quote:

That shift may well be underscored on Tuesday when Steven Jobs, the chief executive of Apple Computer, is expected to unveil an Apple phone representing his company's new mobile communications strategy — highlighted by a device that may include Jobs-inspired refinements like a sleek ceramic case and a transparent touch screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Oh, it's just so much rumor until confirmed. Pish posh.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hmm.....I wonder if he means that he is more excited about INTRODUCING the iPhone vs. the mac or more excited about the mac in 2007.

If scenario 1 is true then I have to say wow! Must be really cool

If scenario 2 is true then WTF?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post

hmm.....I wonder if he means that he is more excited about INTRODUCING the iPhone vs. the mac or more excited about the mac in 2007.

If scenario 1 is true then I have to say wow! Must be really cool

If scenario 2 is true then WTF?

I'm 99% sure that the quote should be interpreted as Jobs being more excited about the 'iPhone' project than he was about the original Macintosh. If that's the case....he is very excited about this new product.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OrbitPink View Post

I'm 99% sure that the quote should be interpreted as Jobs being more excited about the 'iPhone' project than he was about the original Macintosh. If that's the case....he is very excited about this new product.

Or he's excited about getting rid of his crappy RAZR. \
  • Reply 5 of 8
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    I really worry that a continued expansion into other product lines might hurt Apple's business strategy since 1997. The SS Apple is driven by its captain and is not something that can necessarily take more fracturing of his time. If this project is so engrossing, then what the hell is he doing to supervise the Mac unit? Plenty of talented people work at Microsoft as well as Apple, and it's the creative team and the good management that divides them.

I suppose that the upper management is handpicked by Steve, and that lots of minutiae don't reach him until a late stage, but it still seems that he is a hands-on boss. I hope that Apple stops short of getting too involved. With solid foundations for the iPod and the Mac, perhaps Steve and the upper management can handle a mobile, but the phone opens doors that might lead Apple into a recession, I think.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    This is probably the most promising and encouraging tip I've seen yet. Every claim is clearly stated in plain English and many potentially reliable sources are cited. It also helps that it's not coming from DigiTimes for reputation's sake. Like any rumor though, it doesn't confirm anything for certain. And at this point I'm just going to wait until tomorrow and see.

I would really be psyched though if the phone turns out to be a smartphone with more productivity features on it rather than just a plain phone with music. Having iCal, Address Book, Mail, and other such programs on my phone at hand with the added ease of use and would be ill-butta.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana View Post

This is probably the most promising and encouraging tip I've seen yet. Every claim is clearly stated in plain English and many potentially reliable sources are cited. It also helps that it's not coming from DigiTimes for reputation's sake. Like any rumor though, it doesn't confirm anything for certain. And at this point I'm just going to wait until tomorrow and see.

I would really be psyched though if the phone turns out to be a smartphone with more productivity features on it rather than just a plain phone with music. Having iCal, Address Book, Mail, Safari, and other such programs on my phone at hand with the added ease of use and would be ill-butta.

Still not that excited about a smart phone. I want a phone that works. That would be smart.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Still not that excited about a smart phone. I want a phone that works. That would be smart.

My phone works fine. Every phone I've had has worked. Assuming Apple makes a phone tomorrow we all pretty much know that its going to be simple and easy to use. By "Smart Phone" I mean I would like to see a phone that could handle simple PDA functions that wouldn't be too hard to implement. I'm talking calendars and todo lists here, nothing special. My LG does it now but its horrendously sucky. If Apple pulls that off I will be happy. I don't need to browse the internet on my phone because I have a MacBook and I don't need a shitty camera phone either because I've got a nice camera for that sort of thing.