Macworld == Lots of Disappointed Geeks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    So what do you think they ARE going to announce, bshort?

It's possible it won't be at this event, but an apple phone is coming. The hype surrounding it has reached such a fever pitch that if it wasn't coming, apple would have had to go on record by now that it isn't.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    They did say last year they were looking into it. And they have patents for one.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

So what do you think they ARE going to announce, bshort?

It's possible it won't be at this event, but an apple phone is coming. The hype surrounding it has reached such a fever pitch that if it wasn't coming, apple would have had to go on record by now that it isn't.

The iTV device is going to be talked about, and probably released.

There will be an iLife update.

Lots of talk about Leopard.

Maybe an update to iWork.

That's it.

Why would they have to release a statement saying they're not working on a Phone? Apple benefits from all the speculation whether it's supported or not. It's only at a fever pitch on sites like this, and frankly, I doubt Apple really cares what we think.

-B
  • Reply 24 of 36
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I say that because they've done it in the past, when people are CONVINCED that something is coming that isn't. Honestly, I can't remember any off the top of my head because, well, they were never released Maybe someone with a better memory can help me.

Once it gets to the point of affecting their stock price (and if they don't come out with a phone in the first half of the year, ther will be a large negative impact) apple is much more forthcoming.

It's not just at a fever pitch at sites like this. It's all over analyst reports and reputable papers such as WSJ
  • Reply 25 of 36
    It's simple behavior analysis-- if Steve rewards us with everything they have brewing, we're less likley to follow them as closely than if he saves something for a separate event in a few months. Staggered reward in this case cause über-geeks to hang on because they're sure that it'll pay off, despite their feelings of current disappointment. It's like training a dog. Geek. Same thing.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 132GHz,4TB DDR8 SDRAM,95TB HDD View Post

Omg-

you people in the US are getting the keynote sooner than us in London !

I have to wait until about 5-6pm

Er, I could be wrong, but I think there's thing called 'time zones' that lets your clock be several hours after ours, but we can still experience the same event *SIMULTANEOUSLY*! It's like time travel, I *swear*!

• Reply 27 of 36
    pn18pn18 Posts: 11member
    so it's smth like time machine, I guess
  • Reply 28 of 36
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Maybe I'm too easily impressed, but after seven years of asking for a new productivity suite I will be elated if iWork finally gets a spreadsheet.

If that's all Steve announces, I'm cool with that.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    A guy I know who is attending MW said this today:

"…sat next to a Apple Manager on the flight! He was tight-lipped about tomorrow but did say "though it is hard to please everyone, I think most will be blown away by tomorrow's announcements". I asked him about the iPhone and he just smiled and would not look me in the eye!"
  • Reply 30 of 36
    !

Looks like tomorrow is going to be a...'interesting'...day !

Damn Im hyped !

omg omg omg etc
  • Reply 31 of 36
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Or every GEEK will explode with Apple goodness.

ARGHHHH

This is the worst preNote that I have yet expierienced!! wehre is the elevator pics, where is the sandwich shop talk.

this is killing me!!!
  • Reply 32 of 36
    bshortbshort Posts: 25member
    I'm glad I was proved wrong.

The iPhone is actually far more impressive than any of the mockups I've seen. The fact that it's running OS X or at least some version of OS X is probably the most impressive part of the device. I imagine it'll be drop-dead easy to build new apps in XCode, and if we can actually just drop a desktop app into the phone I'll be first in line to get one.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    csi95csi95 Posts: 38member
    Despite the fact that you were wrong on at least one prediction, I must admit...

...I am a bit dissappointed.

First, I've got a cell phone. It's under contract until September, and it's on Verizon. As cool as the iPhone looks, it's not going to get me to drop my current contract and pay a penalty. Also, Verizon has much better service where I live than Cingular. That puts the iPhone in the cool, but not helpful category for me.

What I'm sad to see is that the long-rumored widescreen iPod is the iPhone. I want just the widescreen! Drat!

Also, no new Macs at MacWorld. Where are the Quad Core iMacs? Where are the Octo Core Mac Pros? Where is Leopard? Not even so much as a mention???

It's nice to finally get the iPhone rumors behind us, but there was still a lot missing...
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csi95 View Post

Despite the fact that you were wrong on at least one prediction, I must admit...

...I am a bit dissappointed.

First, I've got a cell phone. It's under contract until September, and it's on Verizon. As cool as the iPhone looks, it's not going to get me to drop my current contract and pay a penalty. Also, Verizon has much better service where I live than Cingular. That puts the iPhone in the cool, but not helpful category for me.

What I'm sad to see is that the long-rumored widescreen iPod is the iPhone. I want just the widescreen! Drat!

Also, no new Macs at MacWorld. Where are the Quad Core iMacs? Where are the Octo Core Mac Pros? Where is Leopard? Not even so much as a mention???

It's nice to finally get the iPhone rumors behind us, but there was still a lot missing...

Yep, I'm right there with you. Verizon in my area (NYC) is great and Cingular service is terrible. The iPhone is worthless if I can't actually use the phone feature.

And yeah, I want the same device, but without the phone component. WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. are really enough for me.

And, since it runs OSX, I can probably just use Skype.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    csi95csi95 Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bshort View Post

And, since it runs OSX, I can probably just use Skype.

Oooooh, now you're on to something. I hadn't considered that.

The hair on the back of the neck of every Cingular executive probably went up when you said that.

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of customers suddenly cried out in excitement and our profits were suddenly silenced."

So I wonder if this means the end of the stand-alone iPod, or is there a chance we'll actually see a widescreen iPod (minus phone) somewhere down the road after the iPhone launch in June?
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csi95 View Post

Oooooh, now you're on to something. I hadn't considered that.

The hair on the back of the neck of every Cingular executive probably went up when you said that.

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of customers suddenly cried out in excitement and our profits were suddenly silenced."

So I wonder if this means the end of the stand-alone iPod, or is there a chance we'll actually see a widescreen iPod (minus phone) somewhere down the road after the iPhone launch in June?

Well, the carriers are going to have to wrap their heads around the idea that they're selling computers and they won't be able to continue to restrict their users to boost their profits. $2.99 ringtones are going to be a thing of the past if the user can just drop a new mp3 in their ringtone folder.

I think this is going to be the lineup come July:

$79 - iPod Shuffle

$149 - 249 - iPod Nano

$299 - 399 - iPod 6G Widescreen touch interface but no OSX, no Widgets, and no internet access.

$399 - 499 - iPhone running OSX, etc.