Apple iTV availability to escape Macworld Expo

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 188
    If Apple are planning to match Microsoft's home strategy then sign me up for an Apple Home Server. Most of the consumer NAS systems are problematic to some level with Apple File Protocol so an Apple NAS would be lovely thanks.
  • Reply 182 of 188
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

WMA/WMV I believe is handled by the most common chips. The rest, if you can get it into your iTunes library it should work but that implies conversion into a iTV compatible format. Kinda like the iPod.

Vinea

As always, with Apple, it isn't as much a question about what chips, or decoding software is out there, but rather what Apple will choose to support. Apple has to do whatever they do legally, so some options that are available to the general public aren't available to them.

For example, both VLC and MPlayer have illegally used codecs, and, VLC, at least, has been sued for it.

That would mean that Apple would have to get together with MS to work out a WMA decoding option. As we haven't seen one from Apple already, we might not see one here either. And with the Flip4Mac decoder, we can't get DRM'd content.

I also think that Apple will only want to support their own content, except, perhaps, for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD streaming from the computer, if possible. That may not be possible at first either.
  • Reply 183 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

It's amazing how the market has changed here in the UK since iTV was announced. Most TV companies here now do on-demand TV and movie downloads. Apple still hasn't even launched TV show downloads in the UK. eg. http://www.channel4.com/4od/ which is Windows only sadly.

I suspect iTV will be a dead duck on release for Europeans.

Agree, the Films and TV shows have just not materialised, one of the reasons i bought a new Nano instead of Video ipod.
  • Reply 184 of 188
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As always, with Apple, it isn't as much a question about what chips, or decoding software is out there, but rather what Apple will choose to support. Apple has to do whatever they do legally, so some options that are available to the general public aren't available to them.

For example, both VLC and MPlayer have illegally used codecs, and, VLC, at least, has been sued for it.

That would mean that Apple would have to get together with MS to work out a WMA decoding option. As we haven't seen one from Apple already, we might not see one here either. And with the Flip4Mac decoder, we can't get DRM'd content.

I also think that Apple will only want to support their own content, except, perhaps, for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD streaming from the computer, if possible. That may not be possible at first either.

I think the point is that Sigma already have negotiated with MS and supports WMA and WMA Pro out of the box. Likewise VC1/WMV-9.

If Apple doesn't allow the equivalent of ripping DVDs into your iTunes library (even if unofficially and through 3rd party tools only) much as it did MP3s then iTV is almost DOA unless they get a lot of studio support with 720p titles out of the box. I see that as a very unlikely proposition though I expect some 720p titles from Disney. Likewise SD downloads is DOA IMHO.

So 720p from iTunes plus anything iTunes can consider video available on iTV.

Vinea
  • Reply 185 of 188
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I think the point is that Sigma already have negotiated with MS and supports WMA and WMA Pro out of the box. Likewise VC1/WMV-9.

If Apple doesn't allow the equivalent of ripping DVDs into your iTunes library (even if unofficially and through 3rd party tools only) much as it did MP3s then iTV is almost DOA unless they get a lot of studio support with 720p titles out of the box. I see that as a very unlikely proposition though I expect some 720p titles from Disney. Likewise SD downloads is DOA IMHO.

Vinea

There are many free, 3rd-party apps to rip DVDs, plus the iTV will surely stream from your Mac's optical drive, so I don't see that an issue here.

My only concern is HOW the data will be streamed. If it let's iTunes/Quicktime handle the transmission--like with Front Row--then I'll be able to use my numerous AVIs. If not, then I may have to wait until someone can figure out how to add the correct codecs to the appliance. I'm thinking Apple will not support the codecs, but will make it very easy for them to be added. They aren't charged for it (or sued) and we still get to use from a 3rd-party developer.
  • Reply 186 of 188
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Vinea

We all know how Apple has used chips for its iPod line, and never enabled all of the features. I have no doubt that many things can be done. Apple often chooses not to support what won't be beneficial to them (in their view).
  • Reply 187 of 188
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are many free, 3rd-party apps to rip DVDs.

Where? MTR doesn't seem to handle newer titles.

I would like to see something like Drive-in that doesn't compress it further than it already is. The main problem with Drive-in is that you have to go to the computer to mount the image.
  • Reply 188 of 188
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Vinea

Yes...720p + 802.11n as expected. Unexpectedly but also great...no need for the mac to be on if you stream from Apple to the HD.

I guess I ought to buy an Airport Extreme to make sure the 802.11 draft-n implementations really match...

Vinea