WSJ spills the beans!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
"Apple, Cingular Set to Team Up on Cellphone

By Li Yuan and Nick Wingfield

Word Count: 392 | Companies Featured in This Article: Apple Computer, Cisco Systems, Motorola, Yahoo

Cingular Wireless is expected to provide wireless service for a new Apple Computer Inc. cellphone, people familiar with the situation say.

The launch of the new phone and service is expected to be announced as early as Tuesday, these people say.

The new product could give Apple access to the huge wireless business, in which nearly a billion handsets are shipped every year, dwarfing the nearly 70 million iPods Apple has sold over the past five years.

Several recent ..."

(Paid subscription required for rest of article )

http://users2.wsj.com/lmda/do/checkL...od%3Ddjemalert

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    They don't know crap.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They don't know crap.

Don't be so sure. I was thinking earlier that I'm wondering when the next issue of Time magazine is supposed to come out and what Steve Jobs will be holding on the cover of it.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    That would suck.

People with GSM worldwide will pay $$ for an unlocked phone!

or, Cingular can buy them aftermarket and resell them unlocked.

No, this is Steve's way!

Fight the Power!!
  • Reply 4 of 17
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:

They don't know crap.

I agree. It doesn't seem likely that Apple would rely on someone else to provide a service that will reflect upon the quality of their own phone. This doesn't fit in their business plan. They like to provide turnkey solutions (this is evidenced in every product they have ever released).

But.... who knows?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

Cingular can buy them aftermarket and resell them unlocked.

No, this is Steve's way!

Yeh, this would be a little closer to the way Apple would do business. They would want to open it up more to cater to a larger audience - Steve would not walk into a situation that would shackle and restrain the use and success of his/Apple's product.

If there is any truth to this article, there is something that they are missing. The picture is not completely painted as the WSJ reports it.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rongold View Post

Yeh, this would be a little closer to the way Apple would do business. They would want to open it up more to cater to a larger audience - Steve would not walk into a situation that would shackle and restrain the use and success of his/Apple's product.

Plus, GSM networks have miserable voice quality. Hardly a desirable attribute for a product intended to be luxury.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Well, WSJ doesn't usually pull stuff out of their rear end. I'd give it a 90% chance of being accurate.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Jobs declared at the: All Things Digital conference that Apple is "not very good at going through orifices to get to the end users."

Nuff said. Unlocked phone. Probably with Voip and Wifi. Apple will have none of it.

Unless they are a MVNO which I think risky but who knows, Apple and Steve have been known to take risks.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Plus, GSM networks have miserable voice quality. Hardly a desirable attribute for a product intended to be luxury.

?

Er... where did this come from?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

They don't know crap.

and with only hours to go thats exactly what i think... let the goodness wash over us
  • Reply 11 of 17
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    On the WSJ radio show this morning, they only speculated. However, because everyone seems to be talking about this, including WSJ, when the keynote closes with no mention of a phone, their stock price may take a hit.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    May take a hit? Theres no question if they dont atleast mention the phone then their stock is going to take a hit, possibly significant.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Their stock typically takes a hit after the Keynote. They recovered from not having a full blown movie download service last year, and if no phone is announced then they will recover from that as well. Investors know that this is speculation from analysts, and after a short sell off then they will come back. This is especially true if Steve has good news on the Movie downloads to go along with the iTV. Add to that the report that I heard on NPR a week or so ago about cell phone venders warning about slowing sales right now in a saturated market, while download movies are a growth market with few legal sources for feature films and Apple has a proven winner with iTMS in both music and TV show dowloads. While I think it migt be nice for Apple to come out with a smart phone I dont think it will kill them if it doesn't come out.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    If the Cinguar story is true, will this mean no 3G technology for a smrt phone? Or does Cingular have that type of network?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    Quote:

They don't know crap.

SpamSandwich don't know crap.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

?

Er... where did this come from?

comparison with non-gsm phones, as well as math. It's actually kind of surprising that GSM voice signalling still exists: everyone was supposed to have adapted to various CDMA-based technologies by now.

In the states at least, people using Cingular and T-mobile sound very tinny and noisy. Using a land-line reference, it's pretty easy to tell who's using GSM and who's not. Honestly, I think GSM only exists still because Qualcomm holds all of their technologies too close for them to be commoditized as easily.