Apple needs to buy AUTODESK ASAP!

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    barabara Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jumpyspider View Post

By the way, anyone noticed how the thinking behind Maya's Hypergraph seems very similar to Apple's now deceased (?) Hypertext, or is it just me?

I think you mean HyperCard, not HyperText. Hypertext is a word that was introduced by Ted Nelson in 1965. What HyperCard did was neither new nor unique. The same is true for Maya's HyperGraph. You will, for instance, find the same principle in Shake or Houdini. Even CINEMA 4D has its own incarnation of the thing with XPresso.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    cesarcesar Posts: 102member
    Apple does not need Autodesk... period
  • Reply 43 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BaRa View Post

I think you mean HyperCard, not HyperText. Hypertext is a word that was introduced by Ted Nelson in 1965. What HyperCard did was neither new nor unique. The same is true for Maya's HyperGraph. You will, for instance, find the same principle in Shake or Houdini. Even CINEMA 4D has its own incarnation of the thing with XPresso.

Ah... of course

Thanks for the extra detail- I've been meaning to have a sneaky peak at Houdini for a while. Enjoy the show today.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    I feel a lot better about AutoDesk since Maya 8.5 is Universal and all bonus tools for all systems were relaesed simultaneously, BUT Apple should still acquire AutoDesk. The fact of the matter is that high end compositors, like SHAKE, have become critical to the production pipeline for compositing 3D passes, from apps like Maya, and then intergrating those with film footage. AutoDesk acquired Alias, mostly because they're compositing apps which are tied to 3D apps are dying and they are trying to tie Maya directly into Toxik to resurrect those apps. Perfect integration of 3D and compositing tools is the WHOLE ENCHILADA. Apple would do well to not rely on a competitor to provide that integration especially when Apple is better at software integration than anyone else.