New Airport Extreme

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Looks like this one flew under the radar (or I missed it earlier).

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

802.11n and a new form factor, which is really nice IMHO.

Edit: Should have checked Current Hardware first. Mods can delete if you wish.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post

Looks like this one flew under the radar (or I missed it earlier).

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

802.11n and a new form factor, which is really nice IMHO.

It is interesting that none of the Macs have been updated with the "n" standard. I checked on the iMac and Mac Pro and neither have changed to reflect the new airport extreme.

Curious.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

It is interesting that none of the Macs have been updated with the "n" standard. I checked on the iMac and Mac Pro and neither have changed to reflect the new airport extreme.

Curious.

Citing Apple's "AirPort Extreme" - "Performance" page:

Quote:

Mac computers with Intel Core 2 Duo and Intel Xeon processors except the 17-inch iMac with 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor support the 802.11n technology in AirPort Extreme. These 802.11n-compatible Mac systems require enabler software that is included on the AirPort Extreme CD.

The new AirPort Extreme base station includes a software called "802.11 n Enabler for Mac" and I guess it will be available via Software Update shortly.

Things I am curious about:

- The new form factor. Will we see Apple branded, daisy-chainable USB drives compatible with both, the new AirPort Extreme and the Apple TV?

It did not happen with the Mac mini as some had (me included) suspected or hoped for.

- Will you still be able to expand your network with AirPort Expresses over WDS, knowing well that the Apple TV is the "new" AirPort Express?

- Apple removed the ability to add external antennas.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    blixablixa Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RolandG View Post

Citing Apple's "AirPort Extreme" - "Performance" page:

- Will you still be able to expand your network with AirPort Expresses over WDS, knowing well that the Apple TV is the "new" AirPort Express?

I'm hoping that the AppleTV will in fact be a replacement for the AirPort Express, but the product info page doesn't say anything about whether or not you'll be able to use the AppleTV to do any of the following:

- use it as a wireless base station

- plug in a printer

- stream music to it from iTunes (without having to use the TV)

The last one is the kicker for me -- I currently have an Airport Express, but I'm all out of digital inputs on my stereo receiver. If I can't stream from iTunes, then I won't be buying one, unfortunately.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I'm surprised that the 802.11n software isn't already installed with the 802.11n macs now.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WindowChicken View Post

I'm surprised that the 802.11n software isn't already installed with the 802.11n macs now.

But the hardware is. That counts for something.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blixa View Post

I'm hoping that the AppleTV will in fact be a replacement for the AirPort Express, but the product info page doesn't say anything about whether or not you'll be able to use the AppleTV to do any of the following:

- use it as a wireless base station

- plug in a printer

- stream music to it from iTunes (without having to use the TV)

The last one is the kicker for me -- I currently have an Airport Express, but I'm all out of digital inputs on my stereo receiver. If I can't stream from iTunes, then I won't be buying one, unfortunately.

At the price of the Apple TV I think that it is best for Apple to keep the Express as long as it is selling. It would sell better if they added a remote to it somehow, the biggest flaw in the product, and maybe a lower price.