So, what do we make of this...?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    I suspect that there will be a silent update to iWork and iLife, or possibly OMT in a week or so... but that seems unlikely. Wonder when the quad core chips will be available? oh, hey, I think my Sprint contract is up in like August...

I could very easily see GPS getting worked into iPhone pretty soon. That would really be the icing on the Google Maps cake. _I_ sure as heck need it, and it would be awesome to have everything in one device. Maybe if it takes CF gps or something... oh well.
  • Reply 22 of 114
    gahhh all you are coming up with all these features they COULD add to the phone..and probably WILL add to the phone..im scared to buy it and have something else come out right after lol i just bought this damn T-Mobile Dash and now i saw this....so i said screw it im cancelling and goin to cingular hahaha but i dont want to be dissapointed when something new decides to come out right after...
  • Reply 23 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

The only thing I want to see for the iPhone now is developer support, and how .Mac falls into everything (the first person who says .Mac is dead... let's just say I have my Flamethrower ready) now that Google and Yahoo are partners and partners with Apple.

I'm hoping they will stick some Tools into Xcode to develop for the iPhone.

Sebastian

Actually, I would hope that it would have the opposite effect: give a boost to .Mac.

It would certainly be in Apple's interest for this to tie-in to .Mac services for remote syncing, mail and even backing up music. Just adds in a wireless/cellular component to .Mac

Certainly could be some built in advantages for .Mac users.
  • Reply 24 of 114
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    AFAIK, there were 30, 724 Appleinsider members earlier today (with 3100 user IDs starting with M, and only 94 with Q).

If jobs retires, as some of the posters on other forums are speculating he'll announce on ABC tonight (what show??-nothing on ABC's website), there might be one more member of the Appleinsider community.

I didn't see the keynote (I did see last years, and only realized it was 2006's event when the Intel exec came on in his bunny suit, and Jobs announced the first Intel Mac, the new I-mac)

PS Amazing how far back Apple has come. They dominated Bloomberg's news, and were tops on WSJ. Plus, Arstechnica, which was almost excluselively PC years ago, featured Apple's announcements in its news section. I know, it's MacWorld. And I remember when MacWorld was just another computer show, as opposed to the national news event it's become.
  • Reply 25 of 114
    I'm cancelling my .Mac at the end of the year. I've waited far too long for some compelling reason other than Homepage to keep paying $100 a year. Hopefully they will DO SOMETHING to .Mac to make it worthwhile to me...
  • Reply 26 of 114
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Either Apple has a lot up it sleeve or Steve Jobs has become so obsessed with low volume halo devices that nothing else matters to him. I'm not going to lie here, I am a little apprehensive about where Apple is headed.

Targetting 10m phones is low volume?

Vinea
  • Reply 27 of 114
    iveive Posts: 23member
    Gps !!!!
  • Reply 28 of 114
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Multi-touch, full-screen video, phone, maps.... what's not to like? The people at Blackberry have to be committing suicide right now.
  • Reply 29 of 114
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

what im truely afraid of is i want to get the 8gb iPhone for $599 but im scared that in 6 months or a year they will come out with like a 30gb model,

It's using Flash drives, so when 30G Nanos appear, then the phone will go that way also. Right now 8G seems the afforable, reliable max size.
  • Reply 30 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

It's using Flash drives, so when 30G Nanos appear, then the phone will go that way also. Right now 8G seems the afforable, reliable max size.

ya u are definitly right, but haha knowing apple that 30gb nano may come very fast....im definitly going to buy the phone, im a little bit upset that it will be cingular, they should have it for all the GSM+Edge companies like tmobile as well....but ill be happy to switch

my next question is how will the data plan work? because if it has wifi and edge and safari your going to need some sort of unlimited internet plan, plus id love to see texting in a single plan as well..
  • Reply 31 of 114
    I want a stripped down version that is only iPod and no phone/internet/etc device.
  • Reply 32 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

ya u are definitly right, but haha knowing apple that 30gb nano may come very fast....im definitly going to buy the phone, im a little bit upset that it will be cingular, they should have it for all the GSM+Edge companies like tmobile as well....but ill be happy to switch

my next question is how will the data plan work? because if it has wifi and edge and safari your going to need some sort of unlimited internet plan, plus id love to see texting in a single plan as well..

WiFi works independent of EDGE, so if you're in the neighborhood of free WiFi, you can use it. Also if you know of available WiFi networks that you have access to (like Starbucks HotSpots or your company's/school's WiFi) you can use those as well.

The plans that Cingular has for unlimited access to the internet (via EDGE where available) are a little pricey IMHO compared to some of the competitors, but YMMV.
  • Reply 33 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanMacMan View Post

I want a stripped down version that is only iPod and no phone/internet/etc device.

Never mind, I realize you probably mean you want a wide-screen iPod. Ignore me
  • Reply 34 of 114
    well i pay $39.99 for data/unlimited texting/hotspots with tmobile..so anything at the same price or cheaper for all of that will make me happy..too bad it their individual plans jump from 450 to 900 minutes..i only need like 600 minutes like i have with tmobile...hopefully they will have an independent plan for apple phones like tmobile does for sidekick users (sidekick data plan $20, unlimited everything except minutes)
  • Reply 35 of 114
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    I hope the near future includes a 30 or 80 gig iphone because 8gig isn't enough to do all the great things I'd want to do with this phone. It's nearly twice the price of the 80 gig ipod and only a tenth of the storage space. I was really hoping to upgrade my 30gig ipod to more space and a phone all in one.
  • Reply 36 of 114
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

This guarantees a widescreen ipod this year.

Um... The iPhone is the widescreen video iPod.

It's a big nano, with phone and internet capabilities.

Or

It's a full-sized flash iPod with phone and internet capabilities.

Or

It's a phone with iPod nano capacity but better-than-iPod video functionality and internet capabilities....

Or

It's a floor wax. No, I mean a dessert topping.

Etc...

Just a note: I was extremely skeptical of this. Like the movie download issue, I thought this was more analyst driven rather than consumer driven. I think I was correct overall on that issue. But here? Call me converted.
  • Reply 37 of 114
    I only see Widget-type apps. Will I be able to open Word and other apps? It looks great, otherwise. I already use Cingular (just started a new contract, damnit), so I'm fine with the service provider. 8GB is enough for plenty of music and maybe a movie or a tv show when travelling. Price is a little high, but tolerable. I don't use Cingular's data service, so I'm not sure how bad that will hurt. And I wonder if the email will be available with Verizon as my DSL? I doubt it, which would suck, though presumably I could come up with a work-around.

AppleTV doesn't appeal to me. Right now, my intel iMac and macBook are both at the office. Instead of buying a new computer for the home, with 802.11n, and the AppleTV, it makes more sense to me to just buy a Mini for the home theater.

Awfully disappointed there was no Leopard information. I'm not buying a new mac for the home or offfice until Leopard comes out.

With nothing of interest to buy NOW, I'm a little let down, though I am looking forward to the iPhone.
  • Reply 38 of 114
    ya i have a slingbox so the apple tv i dont care much about...now what do you guys mean about flash drive?? it says the 8gb is flash on the iphone, what does that mean, mean its able to be upgraded later or something..haha sry i have no idea
  • Reply 39 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdconway View Post

With nothing of interest to buy NOW, I'm a little let down, though I am looking forward to the iPhone.

I'm right there with you!
  • Reply 40 of 114
    csi95csi95 Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdconway View Post

Awfully disappointed there was no Leopard information. I'm not buying a new mac for the home or offfice until Leopard comes out.

Same here. I held off on a Mac purchase before Christmas to see what MacWorld brough. The answer? Nothing. MacWorld had nothing to do with the Mac. No Leopard. No new iMac with a Quad Core 2 Duo. No Mac Pro with Dual Quad Core 2 Xeons. No 15" MacBook. Nothing.

The iPhone looks cool, but not enough to end my current cell phone contract and switch to a new carrier (who has worse service in this area).

I would have preferred the widescreen iPod without the cell phone built in.

Does this signal the end of the music only iPod?

The iTV (AppleTV? Whatever it's called) could be revolutionary, but I'll need to see it in the wild before I get real interested.

Overall, I'm a bit let down...