iPhone is the new Newton

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
It's everything that the Newton used to be, adjusted for current tech: innovative input method, powerful processor, drool-worthy form factor.

This thing is going to kill. Now, if they make a BlackBerry client for it, I'm there...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Shouldn't this still be future hardware, since it's vapor ware until June?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Man...I love it. And I will get it...

But I am wondering about a couple of things. I travel alot, and like the pay as you go method. I currently use a virgin cell, and I like the freedom of topping up when I want to.

Will I be able to use it overseas?

If not a pay as you go option, how much will you have to pay for the phone service. Could you theoretically use it without paying for phone service. I live in NYC, and there are wifi hotspots everywhere. What will the range be?

Is 5 hour batt life good compared to other smart phones/blackberries? I've never owned one.

Other than these questions, I am totally psyched. This feels like a home run for apple. I could see in the future carrying on live video phone conversations via ichat using the iphone. The possibilities are endless.

Very cool.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    iveive Posts: 23member
    super B toy, that's for sure.

But no GPS...

Also the look of the phone is not that sexy.

It has no apple look, so you can recognize it from 15 feet away.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Will Canadians be able to use this? AFAIK we don't have Cingular...
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ive View Post

super B toy, that's for sure.

But no GPS...

Also the look of the phone is not that sexy.

It has no apple look, so you can recognize it from 15 feet away.

I am sure in future versions, GPS can be added. As far as the look is concerned...it definitely doesn't look like any smart phone out there, that alone coupled with the software will make it REALLY stand out. I think in a way, they had to make it look even different from the ipod...to make it seem like the HUGE new leap in technology that it really is.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Urgh it doesnt have any apple look at all. nah i wouldnt buy it!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

Urgh it doesnt have any apple look at all. nah i wouldnt buy it!

And you call yourself Da Mac Man?

You seriously wouldn't buy it?

Ya know, when the ipod first came out, it didn't have an apple look. This is totally new. And it does have an apple look...its an apple! I think this happens alot with apple products...I mean the big ones that are released. At first its just so new looking that even the apple devoted goes huh? But little by little everyone falls in love with it. Same so with the redesigns. Look at the imac. People LOVED the first all in one imac. Then the "lampshade" imac came out...a few grumbles, then LOVE....even more so then the first imac. THEN the current imac came out, and everyone complained about the "chin"...or that the lampshade imac was a better design. NOW most people have warmed up to it and done complete 180 degrees and are in love with it.

Thats the way it goes with apple.

I never thought the iphone would have the same look as an ipod...so I dont have the same HUH? feeling you do about the design. I just focused on the wow factor. The multi touch feature alone is insane. Plus all the other features, and the use of OSX...to me it truly does look like an apple product. :-)

My bet is that you will change your mind. Just a hunch.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Propofol View Post

Will Canadians be able to use this? AFAIK we don't have Cingular...

Being a GSM phone, it'd have to be Rogers or Fido in Canada.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

I would almost have to agree, especially with the disclaimer at the bottom of the iPhone page:

"This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."

That would suck if they weren't able to sell it after this much hype. Unlikely though.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by octane View Post

I would almost have to agree, especially with the disclaimer at the bottom of the iPhone page:

"This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."

That would suck if they weren't able to sell it after this much hype. Unlikely though.

That's standard FCC-mandated language for not-yet-approved devices.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smatanovic View Post

That's standard FCC-mandated language for not-yet-approved devices.

I figured as much, and I suppose they needed something to appeal to investors after all the rumors this year so they talked it up early, seems like a pattern may be developing.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

No, because they've already made the hardware and all that. It just has to be approved by the FCC.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

No because future hardware or not this is the iPhone forum. Keywords here, iPhone, and forum. 8)