Apple stuns Macworld crowd with multi-function iPhone device

Comments

• Reply 121 of 439
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    I don't understand why Apple tetherd themselves exclusively to a single service provider. This extremely narrows their market.

Other points that came into my mind:

- Will the battery finally be exchangeable?

- How useful will the iPhone be for Windows users? Will it be able to sync with Outlook or Vista's integrated addressbook?

- Does the included camera really fulfill Apple's quality standards? I think they should have gone without.

- They won't be able to sell this phone in Europe without 3G (UMTS or HSDPA) support because only few providers offer EDGE service.

- Can the phone be used to access the internet from your notebook?

- With the release of the iPhone there is even less incentive for other cellphone companies to make thier phones synchable with OS X. Not that there are that many now...
  • Reply 122 of 439
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Since they don't have FCC approval yet they have to make that statement to be legal. The FCC is really hard on you if you don't.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

i hate to do this, but i just saw this at the bottom of the page of the iphone.

'This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained'

• Reply 123 of 439
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

No one is concern about the puny 5 hours battery life? Can anyone confirm if the 5-hr is the actually operating time and not including standby time?

It's 5 hours talk or video. 16 hours music. No mention of standby.
  • Reply 124 of 439
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Well, it's a pretty impressive beast. Not something I'm in the market for, but it looks poised to dominate the market it's aimed at.

I'm greatly looking forward to purchasing a 16Gb strictly iPod version (ie just music photos and videos, no internet / phone / camera stuff) of the iPhone come September/October.
  • Reply 125 of 439
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Well, it's a pretty impressive beast. Not something I'm in the market for, but it looks poised to dominate the market it's aimed at.

I'm greatly looking forward to purchasing a 16Gb strictly iPod version (ie just music photos and videos, no internet / phone / camera stuff) of the iPhone come September/October.

If they take all of that stuff out, you're left with a Nano in an enclosure that is the size of a full iPod. If they are going to mod the iPhone into just an iPod, it will have a hard drive -- maybe 40/100 GB versions.
  • Reply 126 of 439
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

and it falls short by, oh, 22GB on storage

Yah...wanna bet that in late 2007 or early 2008 we see enhanced car integration with additional storage from BMW, Acura, Infiniti, Mercedes, etc? Hooks between Google Maps and the onboard GPS/Nav system? Along with the usual music stuff.

Perhaps movie playback for the kids but 8GB is mighty small for that unless you download from iTunes to the iTV built into your Mercedes SUV via iPhone...though EDGE is kinda slow...still...watch one show while racking up Daddy's Cingular bill downloading other episodes of CSI at a pokey 200Kbps...

Vinea
  • Reply 127 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Push a la blackberry.

Vinea

what is push?
  • Reply 128 of 439
    iLife
  • Reply 129 of 439
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RolandG View Post

I don't understand why Apple tetherd themselves exclusively to a single service provider. This extremely narrows their market.

Because Cingular is the biggest and has the best chance of getting a lot of iPhone customers on board. They have a 2 year exclusive.
  • Reply 130 of 439
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post

So Apple introducs this new phone that EVERYONE has been wanting and talking about and it's too expensive, too locked in and too little storage:

1) It gets released in June - 6 months from now, some of those features could change. Remember when Apple upgraded everyone's MBP processors. Maybe we'll see bigger flash space by that time. Who knows

If it's in the FCC approval process for phones, I doubt they can change the hardware specs much, and probably not at all. This isn't a MBP or an iPod.
  • Reply 131 of 439
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

2MP camera ? Huh? in 2007 in a high end phone?

Megapixels don't make a good camera. I've never seen a case where more megapixels on a camera phone beyond that yielded better picture quality, except maybe for the cameras that happen to have an integrated phone.
  • Reply 132 of 439

"We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone, PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in.'" -Ed Colligan, Palm CEO

Are those footsteps I hear?

They didn't walk in, Steve kicked down the door!

Unfortunately a decent phone isn't going to cut it any more.
  • Reply 133 of 439
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

-No Preview.app for reading PDFs!???

-No TextEdit so no way to view a .doc attachment??

PDF is built into the graphics layer of OS X, and Mail uses the same text engine as TextEdit. So I'd say you'll view .doc files in the Mail program, and PDFs in the picture program.

Quote:

-GPS should be doable through external Bluetooth GPS reciever

GPS is built-in, as Steve demoed.

Quote:

-.Mac integration not mentioned at all, instead Yahoo! push email

Yes, it was mentioned, along with Gmail.

Quote:

-Will developers be able to get in on this? (Skype, Mozilla, Parallels, just kidding)

-Will Apple control the apps like it does iPod games?

-Will they sell additional apps through iTunes store?

Good question. I really hope they leave it open. I'd kill for OmniOutliner on this thing.

Quote:

-No infared! (can't use as a universal remote)

You can't with an iPod either. That's what the dock is for. I'm sure they'll have a version of the dock with IR and video output, just like the one for the iPod.
  • Reply 134 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

First of all, these are supposed to be sync'd to your computer. I have hundreds of books for my Treo, but never keep more than a dozen in the phone at any one time.

Same thing with pics and videos.

Do you really want to keep all of them on this at once? It's not like songs. You don't watch videos over and over.

And it would have to be either Cingular or T-Mobile, which is worse.

They needed GSM for the world phone aspect.

Sucks, how about an unlocked phone. Whats wrong with 80 gig, nothing. Apple just wants room to grow so I am forced to upgrade later. It sucks. I won't be buying it.
  • Reply 135 of 439
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    It's fab and I want it and all that.

But when is the real widescreen iPod with 30-60GB coming out?

4-8GB doesn't work for a lot of movies, photos and songs. It still doesn't beat my 3 years old(?) 10GB iPod in terms of what I use it most for, listening to my music library.
  • Reply 136 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Megapixels don't make a good camera.

No, and unless the optics are suplied by Canon, Nikon, Olympus, etc, neither will Apple make a good camera. Though, I guess, none of that is really the point. Phones are not meant to take quality pictures; just as cameras are not made to capture quality video. A 2MP camera is more than adequate for a phone.
  • Reply 137 of 439
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    "Push" means that when you get a new email, your email service sends a signal to your phone to alert you. Rather than the phone periodically checking with your server (or manually checking), you know instantly when you have a new message.
  • Reply 138 of 439
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronHarmon View Post

Sucks, how about an unlocked phone. Whats wrong with 80 gig, nothing. Apple just wants room to grow so I am forced to upgrade later. It sucks. I won't be buying it.

I don't think so. For music, 1 gig is just fine. Probably another or two gig for video. It takes a little work, but iTunes can be set up so it can rotate in fresh media to replace any tracks that were played. It's unnecessary to have your entire library on your person all the time. It's probably impossible to go through 4GB of video on a single charge, it's likely going to be synched anyway.

What's wrong with an 80 gig drive is that it would make this thing a lot bigger, heavier, lower battery life, more expensive and likely less durable too. There isn't a phone or PDA out there that uses a 1.8" hard drive that I've seen. The Lifedrive is just a PDA, uses a microdrive and the thing is HUGE. One with a 1.8" 80GB drive is going to be considerably bigger than that.

Quote:

-no Apple logo on front of device(I can't imagine any other company exercising that kind of restraint)

A lot of devices by Apple and other companies have their logo on the back of the device. iPods, Creatives, Zunes have their branding on the back that I remember.
  • Reply 139 of 439
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

It is unlocked in a sense. You should be able to use the phone with an internet connection without a cell phone company.

As far as 80GB I don't understand why there so much bitchin' about it. Its clear Apple is using the same flash drives as the nano. A spinning hard drive would quickly reduce the battery life.

Prices should drop by June so it is possible Apple may bump the storage to 16GB.
  • Reply 140 of 439
    Quote:

"We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone, PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in.'" -Ed Colligan, Palm CEO

Ya, it seems pretty funny now, doesn't it? Can you imagine what the guys over at Palm and RIM are thinking this afternoon? Oh! to be a fly on the wall in those meetings!