So, what do we make of this...?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 114
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

doesn't the airport extreme now support USB HDs??? I thought I read that...

Yes, the question is the filesystem it uses.
  • Reply 62 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by durandal View Post

Something in Apple's move to rename themselves today tells me that their strategy is not about taking back the computer biz...

That's a good point, maybe I should rephrase that: "stick a red-hot-piping iPod/iPhone/OS X device up bill's [where-the-sun-don't-shine] for copying everything over the years and prove that 'making better stuff actually DOES matter'" 8)

On the flip side, it could be part of the plan, iPhone is a computer for most intents and purposes.
  • Reply 63 of 114
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by octane View Post

That's a good point, maybe I should rephrase that: "stick a red-hot-piping iPod/iPhone/OS X device up bill's [where-the-sun-don't-shine] for copying everything over the years and prove that 'making better stuff actually DOES matter'" 8)

CONFIRME... errr... Agreed
  • Reply 64 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csi95;1022133 [B

Mac[/B]World had nothing to do with the Mac.

I would have preferred the widescreen iPod without the cell phone built in.

• Reply 65 of 114
    Quote:

Yes, the question is the filesystem it uses.

wouldn't the file system be dictated by the OS not by the airport extreme?
  • Reply 66 of 114
    My thoughts on the iPhone:

1.) Hardware: Well nothing to write home about. Rokr E6 or A1200 offer basicly the same features. Available now.

2.) Handling: It's looks nice but will it actually work? Phones with sticks weren't received very well so far. Using your fingers might make the display a litte smeary, especially after putting to your ear.

3.) Price: Atleast in Europe I simply don't see many people paying such price. Phones over ?250 simply don't sell in volume here. Motorola K1 is sold for ?0-?20 (with contract) here. We are not used to these prices.

4.) Software: It's nice but I'm really curious if Apple will allow any non signed SW at all.
  • Reply 67 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

wouldn't the file system be dictated by the OS not by the airport extreme?

You would think, but the NAS pieces I have seen so far have their own FS. I hope it will use HFS+
  • Reply 68 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by User Tron View Post

My thoughts on the iPhone:

1.) Hardware: Well nothing to write home about. Rokr E6 or A1200 offer basicly the same features. Available now.

2.) Handling: It's looks nice but will it actually work? Phones with sticks weren't received very well so far. Using your fingers might make the display a litte smeary, especially after putting to your ear.

3.) Price: Atleast in Europe I simply don't see many people paying such price. Phones over ?250 simply don't sell in volume here. Motorola K1 is sold for ?0-?20 (with contract) here. We are not used to these prices.

4.) Software: It's nice but I'm really curious if Apple will allow any non signed SW at all.

ya well welcome to America..this will be off the store shelves in minutes
  • Reply 69 of 114
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsmi View Post

Well, I dont think I will be able to go to cingular based on their on-line maps. Thier coverage in Ohio is VERY spotty. I live in a residential area near the center of the city and my coverage is not in what they call their strongest area. I am miffed. They need to open this phone up for all carriers.

GSM coverage in general is pretty spotty in North American.
  • Reply 70 of 114
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Dashcode you mean? No... I was thinking more like "XCode mobile" (maybe with some 'iPhone emulation' to test your iPhone apps on your workstation) and "iPhone SDK"...

Yes that is what I meant to say. Thanks. Dashcode.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

no like other applications not on dashboard, such as word and that whole family, maybe slingmedia will create an app to work on the iphone as well, theres tons to be made...

To my knowledge, I dont believe that the phone is capable of actuall running the same OS taht you see on a Mac desktop. I believe what you see as far as application capabilities, mostly reside in CORE Image, CORE Video and Web Kit (Javascript, CSS and HTML)

Quote:

oh and yes i truely beleive that cingular will create a specific plan for iphone honestly they kind of have to the data plans they have now are bogus..

They already did. Sounds like Apple worked with Cingular to provide services unique to Apple's phone. Things like triangulation for location based services and visual voice mail technology, syncing and sending stuff like e-mail — WHILE talking on the phone, etc., etc.

Quote:

i wonder if you can download ringtones or if it allows you to set up your ipod songs as your ringer..but those songs are long haha

That seems like a logical capability. Maybe zoom in on the song part that you want, analogous to the demonstration of zooming in on a photo to use that part as the screens background, then save as a ringtone. Probably kind of like Fission as a Ringtone Widget.
  • Reply 71 of 114
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Hmm... something that makes me wonder is the fact Apple appearanly didn't build in handwriting recognition. Wouldn't Inkwell be the perfect technology for this?
  • Reply 72 of 114
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

You would think, but the NAS pieces I have seen so far have their own FS. I hope it will use HFS+

Personally, I hope it will allow for ZFS with Leopard. Make it a truly LAN-wide pool of storage. No volumes, nada, just plug in a bunch of drives and go.
  • Reply 74 of 114
    csi95csi95 Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD View Post

With the potential of at least 10 million new customers, I'd assume Cingular might consider creating a cheaper data plan by June.

Ha! Now that's a good one! You should be a comedy writer.

I'm 100% certain that the thought of dropping prices has never crossed their minds. Instead, I wouldn't be shocked to hear that they raise prices to account for all the convenience you'll now get from your iPhone...
  • Reply 75 of 114
    Quote:

Keynote's up: http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/

ewww, bad idea, you're supposed to let those of us who are watching for it get at least half-way through before everyone bonbards the server
  • Reply 76 of 114
    haha ya the server is jammed taking 5 hours to connect haha...oh and csi95, i think you are wrong, when hiptop and tmobile made a deal their deal was to keep a low data plan, now when i transferred from my sidekick to a Dash im paying twice as much for the data plan, i strongly beleive apple will be setting up the same deal with cingular, i mean apple is going to be giving them crazy business after all
  • Reply 77 of 114
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

haha ya the server is jammed taking 5 hours to connect haha...oh and csi95, i think you are wrong, when hiptop and tmobile made a deal their deal was to keep a low data plan, now when i transferred from my sidekick to a Dash im paying twice as much for the data plan, i strongly beleive apple will be setting up the same deal with cingular, i mean apple is going to be giving them crazy business after all

Yah...seriously if they are targetting 10M sales and not all will be current Cingular customers or perhaps like me willing to sign up for another 2 years just to get one.

But that data plan better not suck or it will only get used around WiFi spots.

Vinea
  • Reply 78 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by User Tron View Post

Cosign that! It's bad enough getting fingerprints on the external screen of my RAZR, or marks from having the internal screen against my ear too long.

My MBP has made a me a compulsive hand-washer (it's SO shiny), I wouldn't want to have to handle my phone with kid gloves too.

I suppose the other issue for Mac enthusiasts is redundancy. If you already have an iPod for music, and a MBP for working on the go, is there really any need for the iPhone? Yes, you won't want to take your laptop everywhere, but you probably will want to take the iPod if you've got a ton of music on it, rather than having an abridged selection on your iPhone.

So while it seems nifty, it hardly feels like a must-have for me.

Then there's the issue of pricing. Apple maintains a pretty tight rein over its resellers - notice how even when a (usually old) product is discounted, it's discounted uniformly across every store?

This can't be popular with the phone companies, who like to deeply discount models or even offer them free as an incentive to sign on to a particular plan. This works if the iPhone is predominately intended as a device to bring Apple to the masses.

It mightn't work if they still want to preserve high prices to make it a pretty exclusive product. Which would be fine and good, except, who is the market for such a product? People like us, who, as I've already discussed, don't really *need* an iPhone at all.

It may be that the functionality and features are truly mind-blowing. But at first gloss, the difference between this and any other smart phone seems much less than between my MBP and an Inspiron, or that between an iPod and a SanDisk.

In fact, to make a fairer comparison, the difference is less even than that between a 1G iPod and the mp3s than were on the market then. I know it's only early days, but Apple's set themselves up as the company to beat, frankly they can't afford to do mediocre...
  • Reply 79 of 114
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I can't believe that I've now gone seven whole MacWorlds begging for a darn spreadsheet.

Why must we suffer like this?

I didn't even get a Dual Quad Core Mac Pro as consolation. BTW, how do you have a MacWorld Keynote without any Macs?

On the other hand, it was nice to see a most modernized take on the Newton concept, even if Apple is taking every step not to have it called that.
  • Reply 80 of 114
    Quote:

Hmm... something that makes me wonder is the fact Apple appearanly didn't build in handwriting recognition. Wouldn't Inkwell be the perfect technology for this?

Because the interface is non-stylus, and inkwell with big fat fingers may not work as well (you can write smaller and more accurately with a stylus). At least that is my guess...