Apple stuns Macworld crowd with multi-function iPhone device

Comments

• Reply 141 of 439
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I also like how Apple is not calling the UI OS X Mobile or OS X Lite.

Its all OS X.
  • Reply 142 of 439
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Prices should drop by June so it is possible Apple may bump the storage to 16GB.

I doubt the price of the 16GB flash will drop that much in six months. Apple may get the price-drop started if they open a large bulk order of the 16GB flash, but I'm not sure that what you suggest is possible in such a short period. It would certainly be nice to get more storage on these babies; and we'll certainly see it sometime, but it might cost a little more.
  • Reply 143 of 439
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, this means that the FULL boise state/oklahoma fiesta bowl i just bought off itunes two days ago would fill up 1/4 to 1/2 of the drive ALL BY ITSELF. it's nice that it does video, but you'll be swapping files off and on often to clear space to make it anything more than a cool feature that's underused.

but it is one hell of a piece of hardware, the UI is really good (though the "ripple" from the online demos needs to be toned down a little... typing on the keyboard is like trying to drive in the rain when you start typing really fast), and things like the accelerometer and light sensors and squeeze sensors... well, damn.

now when do you suppose it'll come to canada? if it was like the apple online store eons ago, we MIGHT get it up here in 2013. \

this is a device for those who want an ipod nano, and crave one friggin' sweet phone.
  • Reply 144 of 439
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

Since they don't have FCC approval yet they have to make that statement to be legal. The FCC is really hard on you if you don't.

I think it's kind of weird that they have that. It's not as if the promotional materials for an unreleased phone will emit harmful RF radiation.
  • Reply 145 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think so. For music, 1 gig is just fine. Probably another or two gig for video. It takes a little work, but iTunes can be set up so it can rotate in fresh media to replace any tracks that were played. It's unnecessary to have your entire library on your person all the time. It's probably impossible to go through 4GB of video on a single charge, it's likely going to be synched anyway.

What's wrong with an 80 gig drive is that it would make this thing a lot bigger, heavier lower battery life, more expensive and likely less durable too. There isn't a phone or PDA out there that uses a 1.8" hard drive that I've seen. The Lifedrive uses a microdrive and the thing is HUGE.

A lot of devices by Apple and other companies have their logo on the back of the device. iPods, Creatives, Zunes have their branding on the back that I remember.

1 gig is fine? Maybe for you, not for me. I don't want my music rotated. I want it with me.

If 1 gig is fine, why the hell did I buy an 80 gig Ipod. 1 gig sucks.

I understand the hdd battery life argument, but why not put some of this cutting edge research into battery tech. They may even make a buck or two just off of that.

The phone looks sweet. There is just no way I'm switching carriers and laying down 6 bills for a device that does not meet my wants and needs. That phone does not.
  • Reply 146 of 439
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rok View Post

now when do you suppose it'll come to canada? if it was like the apple online store eons ago, we MIGHT get it up here in 2013. \

I would guess at the same time that Europe gets it. I will also guess that it will be on Rogers.
  • Reply 147 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

It is unlocked in a sense. You should be able to use the phone with an internet connection without a cell phone company.

As far as 80GB I don't understand why there so much bitchin' about it. Its clear Apple is using the same flash drives as the nano. A spinning hard drive would quickly reduce the battery life.

Prices should drop by June so it is possible Apple may bump the storage to 16GB.

So in other words, I can use it at home, where I have my home phone, well gee, that changes everything.
  • Reply 148 of 439
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I'm sorry. I'm panicking. Got to hold it first.
  • Reply 149 of 439
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    It's a really nice device, but this is just way more than most people will pay for a phone, especially with limited storage and an exclusive carrier. I wouldn't get one unless the price dropped significantly, closer to $400 without a contract.

This slick multipoint gesture version of OS X just begs to be put on a tablet device though.
    spheric
  • Reply 150 of 439
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    I love the way this thing runs. I really do. It really looks fun to use, and it's sleek as hell. My favorite features have to be the maps thing (eventually it'll probably just be google earth) and the motion sensor toggle controlled switch to coverflow you get while listening to music. My only fear is the smudged screen. Honestly... I don't know how Apple's going to get away with it. The problem inherent with touchscreens is that no matter how brilliant they may look initially, they'll get smudged and scratched eventually (or immediately) after some use. Maybe Apple has some new, extremely durable plastic material up its sleeve.

Bottom line: I can't wait to try one out for myself, but I'm not going to own anything like the iPhone personally for a number of years unless I know for sure it's smudge/scratch proof, or if the price comes down.
  • Reply 151 of 439
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

IMO, the most "stunning" part of the announcement is the high price.

This is just the suggested retail price tag.

You probably pay less, if you get a 2 yrs contract.

I guess.
  • Reply 152 of 439
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

I call fake!

Wonderful! Damn, but that's funny!!!

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 153 of 439
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Aaron, Then don't. This phone meets the needs of a lot of users even if it doesn't satisfy you. For the first version of a smart phone and iPod combo, it looks absolutely incredible. Show me something that does all that it can do and looks as good. Not to mention the intuitiveness of use. The demos at Apple's website really showcase this. I'll bet the execs at RIM, Nokia and Moto are sweatin.
  • Reply 154 of 439
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronHarmon View Post

1 gig is fine? Maybe for you, not for me. I don't want my music rotated. I want it with me.

If 1 gig is fine, why the hell did I buy an 80 gig Ipod. 1 gig sucks.

I'm just saying that, save for lossless audio, it's unlikely you can play a gig of audio on a single charge on any player. Carrying 100x more audio than that at all times simply becomes pointless.

Quote:

I understand the hdd battery life argument, but why not put some of this cutting edge research into battery tech. They may even make a buck or two just off of that.

It's not as if Apple can dance into materials technology and dance out with stronger batteries. It doesn't work that way, it probably takes tens of billions of dollars to develop a new battery chemistry.

In light that this is supposed to be a smart phone, it's a very nice unit, but I doubt a mechanical hard drive would ever make it to these things. If it doesn't do what you want, you don't have to buy it. It's a little expensive, but then, in my opinion, all smart phones are too expensive.
  • Reply 155 of 439
    edited
  • Reply 156 of 439
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Everyone:

Regarding memory, won't this thing be able to connect to Dot Mac accounts? Won't that (depending upon connection quality, which is my big concern with Cingular) allow access to 30GB+ of Stuff?

Memory capacity is only going to go up as new models are released, too.

V/R,

Aries 1B

PS: My Treo 650 and my wife's Treo 650 are SO doomed!
  • Reply 157 of 439
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcr34 View Post

It is tough to see where the iPod goes from here.

The major attraction of switching to the iPhone, as it appears to me, is the new iPod interface, the addition of coverflow and the widescreen video capability.

And Apple knows that -- its almost certainly why they haven't announced a new iPod with that functionality and no phone attached. The iPod stuff will drag in switchers.

But I, and I would guess many other people, don't want to change my phone number, and don't want to use Cingular as my provider.

With number portability, can't you transfer your phone number?

I wonder if some features are tied to Cingular and that an unlocked phone would not be worth it.

Steve
  • Reply 158 of 439
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member
    Oh, yeah, I want one.

I dislike the clumsy, unwieldy feel of Motorola's Razr in my hand - purty and all as it looks - I feel safer holding it with one and dialling it or texting or whatever with the other, just from the pic on Apple's site I'm worried it might be a bit the same.

If I had one I was using as a phone to the extent and in the manner I use my current Nokia I think I'd feel safer with a cord around my wrist, as inelegant as that would be.

But woah, buddy, I still want one.
  • Reply 159 of 439
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'll bet by June Apple will introduce a scaled down iPhone that will play music, take pictures and have the phone and voicemail capabilities. Price, $199.

I agree, and I bet it will be called the iPhone Mini.
  • Reply 160 of 439
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Just had a look at the UI from the high-quality photos provided by AI.

Why don't they group e-mails and sms (and mms which they seem to entirely ommit) together?