iLife 07 and iWork 07: Where are they?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I thought it was the defacto standard to keep the universe going that these suites be released after MacWorld this time of year.

Has this happened before, no iLife or iWork update at this time?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    tb6387tb6387 Posts: 59member
    I have no idea if this has happened before but I had my credit card ready to buy and was sorely disappointed to learn that it wasn't released.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TB6387 View Post

I have no idea if this has happened before but I had my credit card ready to buy and was sorely disappointed to learn that it wasn't released.

So was I. Huge anticlimax, as I did expect iWork07 and no phone. What I got was the reverse.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    iLife's not here, man.

Boy, Amazon must feel like a tit now.

Now I'm just hoping iLife and iWork become 10.5-only and break off all ties that may prevent them from using all the new technologies in Leopard.

Or better yet...they become part of 10.5.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    I wonder: was Amazon the reason that they didn't release them today?
  • Reply 5 of 29
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Peel View Post

I wonder: was Amazon the reason that they didn't release them today?

in a word, no.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    I suspect there'll be software announcements later this month. Apple obviously wanted everyone focussed on the hardware, Apple TV and iPhone, today. Sort of like the opposite of MWSF 2005, which was all software followed with hardware at the end of the month.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Give it a week. Apple will let the iPhone/Apple TV media buzz run its course, and another Tuesday is only seven days away.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    I have to say that I was surprised to see Steve discuss two products that aren't even available. This has to be the worst Apple event I've seen yet. What ever happened to hosting an event where people could actually get their hands on what Steve was talking about?

The whole waiting game is a typical Apple move, but to offer nothing substantive to consumers (the new Airport Extreme doesn't impress me in this respect) is just plain wrong. No updated Leopard preview, no iWork update or mention, no iLife update or mention (features provided on the iPhone don't count), and no Mac releases. There's nothing like waiting for MacWorld only to have the day go by with nothing offered by Apple. Thanks a lot Steve.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    I feel obliged to point out that the new Airport Extreme (not Express) accepts an External HDD in the USB Port, and a USB Hub for multiple External HDDs, and just plugging a printer in. Why is this important? It's important for Laptop users like me, who when using Leopard and Time Machine, won't generally have an External HDD plugged in directly.

Sebastian
  • Reply 10 of 29
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I was pretty much ready to buy both of these yesterday as well.

The buzz seems that they'll be announced or released with Leopard. When? Don't know.

When is the next 'suitable' Apple event for Leopard info (possibly announcing a release date)?
  • Reply 11 of 29
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I feel obliged to point out that the new Airport Extreme (not Express) accepts an External HDD in the USB Port, and a USB Hub for multiple External HDDs, and just plugging a printer in. Why is this important? It's important for Laptop users like me, who when using Leopard and Time Machine, won't generally have an External HDD plugged in directly.

Sebastian

Yeah, but I think this is the wrong thread though. I agree with you but it should have gigabit to help with the I/O of the computer to drive speed for wired network guys. Try backing up a 167 GB hdd over wireless or 100 ethernet. It sucks.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    If you listen carefully to the keynote, after the first talks, by saying: that that's all for the computer stuff, that there is more comming in the next weeks... and we should hold on for it...
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Yeah, I heard that you're talking about, sternone. It's made me second guess my decision to buy a Mac Book or Mac Book Pro right now but I'm not sure it's worth waiting a month or more. I need the notebook yesterday or sooner.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    I understand your feeling, we all have that when we need to buy a new mac... i would say just go for it after end of next week, since the most important it's now core 2 duo, a true 64bit cpu wich we need for 10.5. a better strategy is to buy what you need, and sell it on darned ebay next year so you can buy a complete updated one!!
  • Reply 15 of 29
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    There was security issue found with iphoto 6.0.5 which may have also been in iphoto 7. I also think we all will see both iLife 07 and iWork 07 sometime soon. There is also a chance they may need 10.4.9 to be usable.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Yeah, but I think this is the wrong thread though. I agree with you but it should have gigabit to help with the I/O of the computer to drive speed for wired network guys. Try backing up a 167 GB hdd over wireless or 100 ethernet. It sucks.

I pointed it out because the one above me complained about the lack of Leopard announcements.

I think this feature is mainly being pushed for Laptop users, because obviously if you have a desktop it doesn't matter as much, your Mac is on the desk anyways so there's no real harm in plugging in a USB Drive. But for Laptop users with few USB Ports already, it's more of a problem because Laptops are generally not tied to the desk. True enough Time Machine won't be usable at a Cafè unless I bring my External HDD with me everywhere, but at home it's nice to know I'll be able to backup without digging around for my External HDD and plugging it in, assuming of course Time Machine supports the new Airport Extreme, which I can pretty much gurantee because it makes far too much sense not to.

Now where's my wireless scanning function for use with my All-In-One -_-

Sebastian
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Agreed, using time machine through the airport will be a huge plus. I wasn't looking forward to manually plugging in every night AT ALL. Now the only question is, how hard will it be to upgrade my Airport Extreme card? Cause I got the MBP when it came out (1.83Ghz Core Duo), and I don't think it's N. I guess backing up will work over G, it just won't be as quick.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Agreed, using time machine through the airport will be a huge plus. I wasn't looking forward to manually plugging in every night AT ALL. Now the only question is, how hard will it be to upgrade my Airport Extreme card? Cause I got the MBP when it came out (1.83Ghz Core Duo), and I don't think it's N. I guess backing up will work over G, it just won't be as quick.

Yeah, you're stuck with G there.

Sebastian
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Or use an ExpressCard Draft-N card (assuming they exist)...
  • Reply 20 of 29
    hey, that would be sweet! I've never found any sort of express card things that I would actually use. I hope they release something like that.