RAM in new iMacs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just bought myself a new 17 inch iMac. I'm wondering if any type of DDR2100 RAM will work? I've had troubles in the past with older iMacs not working with some PC133 memory.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by alex_1800:

<strong>Just bought myself a new 17 inch iMac. I'm wondering if any type of DDR2100 RAM will work? I've had troubles in the past with older iMacs not working with some PC133 memory.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Recommend crucial for reliability...has good website to identify proper RAM:

<a href="http://www.crucial.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.crucial.com/</a>;
  • Reply 2 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The info is dispatched on the Apple site. You need a SO-DIMM DDR ram PC 2100 memory, who are unfortunately more expansive than normal DDR Ram.

Crucial has a good reputation.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    How much ram is recommended for the new 1 gig imac? Will 512 mb be enough for using iPhoto, iMovie and iDvd for the standard type applications? I won't be doing anything super fancy with the machine, just editing movies and pictures, internet and email.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by marcozino:

<strong>How much ram is recommended for the new 1 gig imac? Will 512 mb be enough for using iPhoto, iMovie and iDvd for the standard type applications? I won't be doing anything super fancy with the machine, just editing movies and pictures, internet and email.</strong><hr></blockquote>

512 MB is a good amount to enjoy your computer. of course one GB is better, but not absolutely necessary for your need.

256 to 512 : great speed bump

512 to 1024 : speed bump from very low to good depending of the software used.

Personnaly i have updated my G4 533 from 384 MBto 1,1 GB and i do not notice an important difference.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Adding a 512 chip would be best. Since the 256 it comes with is in the upper (inaccessible) slot, you'll have 768 total. More than enough for your needs. And if you should decide you want the full 1Gb later, you'd only have to replace the factory 256 chip.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. My local mac specific retailer will add another 256 ram for free (512 total), but charges $200 for a 512 "apple ram" upgrade. I would really prefer to buy from them, because they are locally owned and they have been very helpful in the past. I also know that they would allow a return of the machine for a 30 day period, no questions asked. I worry about buying from macmall.com, because I have a bad feeling a will get dead pixels out of the box or a yellow tinted base.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    [quote]Originally posted by marcozino:

<strong>..or a yellow tinted base.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Never heard of that.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    When the first version of the lamp iMac came out, I noticed, along with some of the mac techs, that some of the bases had a yellow tint to them. I haven't seen any since, but knowing my luck, it will happen to me. I think maybe it had something to do with initial batch that this store received. They ended up exchanging all of the yellow tinted machines out for their customers, so I know that they care about customer service.