New iPod soon?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
after looking at the new iPhone today it makes me want to new iPod so bad. Thanks to apple i cant get it here in Canada. Anyways do you think that the new ipod will have the OS like iPhone , basically be the iPhone just no phone cababilities but most likely with wireless.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    srewopsrewop Posts: 28member
    Wouldn't it be easy to just use the touch screen and slap new internals in to make it an iPod. Plz apple, 100GB.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    I imagine they could use the same screen, sensors and OS for a widescreen video iPod. It would probably be a little smaller but thicker and feature 60GB and 100GB hard drives. Some people might consider the iPhone the widescreen video iPod people have been talking about all this time but I doubt it. Not everyone wants a cellphone and those that just want a widescreen video iPod need more than 8GB. The iPhone is great but it's not for everyone. The only problem is with Apple not releasing the iPhone until June. That likely means no new iPods until after that happens. Otherwise they would steal sales away from it.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Steve did say this just the start of some amazing products in the next few months so let's see what else Apple announce!
  • Reply 4 of 26
    well lets hope the amazing products are more along the lines of widescreen ipod 6th gen and not itunes 8.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    yeah a widescreen touch ipod with anywhere from 80-120gigs is definetly on the way. Jobs can't expect everyone to buy the phone and besides they don't ship till june.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut View Post

well lets hope the amazing products are more along the lines of widescreen ipod 6th gen and not itunes 8.

Itunes 8 would be FREE. A widescreen ipod would not. I for one welcome FREE new software from apple.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

yeah a widescreen touch ipod with anywhere from 80-120gigs is definetly on the way. Jobs can't expect everyone to buy the phone and besides they don't ship till june.

But do you really think he would want a G6 iPod to ship with all these new features (minus the phone bit of course) before the iPhone? I don't think Steve would want the iPod to still the iPhones thunder so I think it might be awhile before we see a new iPod \
  • Reply 8 of 26
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I agree. I want an iPhone and don't see myself buying a 6G iPod Video. I have lots of content, but I'm never away from my computer long enough to listen/watch everything I could pack into 8GB. I don't really think iPod will upset iPhone (or vice versa) by much, if any--there are plenty of reason to go one way over the other.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    I agree with Feyman and a few other threads that Apple won't want a new iPod to compete with the phone. If there is a choice between an iPhone and a non phone version of the same thing it will erode the iPhone sales, at least a bit.

I'm betting on 3rd quarter for a new iPod.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I agree.

I would love one now. but unfortunately we have to be patience.

It seems that we will see it in september/october to take advantage of the holiday season shopping.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

after looking at the new iPhone today it makes me want to new iPod so bad. Thanks to apple i cant get it here in Canada. Anyways do you think that the new ipod will have the OS like iPhone , basically be the iPhone just no phone cababilities but most likely with wireless.

What Apple will offer in a new iPod is very much up for conjecture. But they will respond with an updated iPod and respond before the iPhone hits the market. They can not wait until June to update the iPod, the competition is not standing still. Hasn't Apple's share of the mp3 market dip?
  • Reply 12 of 26
    I think about the iphone with out cell ( or with it, just not used) and a 32 gig flash card. YES, I'd buy one now. Add GPS for me, please!
  • Reply 13 of 26
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    On the one hand, I can see Apple not wanting to steal the iPhone's thunder by releasing a wide screen, touch screen iPod before the iPhone even comes out. Then again, the last iPod update was fairly minimal, making some time after June a long time to wait for a significant iPod refresh.

I, for one, will probably want both things, although considering that I mainly use my iPod in my car, my current iPod suits my needs quite well as is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by octane View Post

I have lots of content, but I'm never away from my computer long enough to listen/watch everything I could pack into 8GB.

I just don't like to have to choose ahead of time what I might want to listen to between syncing my iPod one time and the next, nor having to decide what subset of my music to listen to at all. I prefer having everything from my library with me all of the time.

Of course, give me a 3G iPhone, decent 3G service coverage, a few gigabytes of bandwidth allowed per month without additional cell phone charges, and a VPN connection into my home network, and then I'll just stream whatever I want from my home system as needed -- I could then treat the iPhone's flash memory as nothing more than a cache for my home library.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    I don't think Jobs is an idiot. He realizes Apple is sitting on hot technology with this touchscreen stuff. There's no way the iPhone could take off the way an iPod with this technology could. Sure, they may eat into each others markets somewhat, but the iPhone is limited to those who want both devices in the same unit and have (or are willing to switch) to cingular. It's naturally limited in it's reach.

Apple would be very foolish to keep this technology limited to the iPhone.

On the other hand, if they were planning on updating the iPod with this technology, why wouldn't they go ahead and announce it at Macworld? What's the point in waiting?
  • Reply 15 of 26
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    There is no way that there won't be a new iPod soon. Take the iPhone touchscreen interface, drop the phone hardware, add a 100GB drive and you have a great media player. I am sure they wanted to keep the focus on the phone aspects and not confuse the issue with new iPods.

I imagine in about a month or so we will have another special event announcement with new iPods and Mac revisions. There is no way we are going to have to wait until WWDC in June for Leopard either.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    I don't think I will buy the iPhone for a few reason. One being Cingular service SUX around here in NY/NYC. Two, I have verizon and getting rid of them, would be stupid, and expensive. Three the phone is 600 bucks, I am not spending 600 dollars on a phone right now, plus the phone that I have right now is way more than enough. I would buy the new iPod tho being that I am on subways for an hour plus a day during the week, and even more on the weekends, so the new iPod would be amazing. Train rides out of the city and everything else would be nice too, being that it would be a real wide screen. I'm waiting for it to come out.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

But do you really think he would want a G6 iPod to ship with all these new features (minus the phone bit of course) before the iPhone? I don't think Steve would want the iPod to still the iPhones thunder so I think it might be awhile before we see a new iPod \

They are two completely different products.

The iPhone is hardly a video ipod with only 8GB of storage. You might as well throw out the "video" part and just call it "short film" instead.

The iPod is definately no phone. This one is pretty self explanitory.

I dont see any cannibalism here for either product.

I believe there is only 8GB in the phone for the sole reason to keep the two products seperate. Put 40GB in the iPhone and now you are talking cannibalizing the ipods market.

Video buffs will not be satisfied with the size of the phone and will need both if looking for both a phone and a video player.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

I don't think I will buy the iPhone for a few reason. One being Cingular service SUX around here in NY/NYC. Two, I have verizon and getting rid of them, would be stupid, and expensive. Three the phone is 600 bucks, I am not spending 600 dollars on a phone right now, plus the phone that I have right now is way more than enough. I would buy the new iPod tho being that I am on subways for an hour plus a day during the week, and even more on the weekends, so the new iPod would be amazing. Train rides out of the city and everything else would be nice too, being that it would be a real wide screen. I'm waiting for it to come out.

I am with you.

I love the iPhone but the price and Cingular is definately a No-No.

Sorry Apple.

Hopefully a bare bones iPhone is following. but even then we have to deal with Cingular. Very hard.

I want 120gig widescreen video ipod now!
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Funny how there's has been almost no iPod rumors leading up to MWSF. My sister needs a new one, soooo... Come on Apple!

Prefereably 40 Gb at the bottom..
  • Reply 20 of 26
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freeny View Post

They are two completely different products.

The iPhone is hardly a video ipod with only 8GB of storage. You might as well throw out the "video" part and just call it "short film" instead.

The iPod is definately no phone. This one is pretty self explanitory.

I dont see any cannibalism here for either product.

I believe there is only 8GB in the phone for the sole reason to keep the two products seperate. Put 40GB in the iPhone and now you are talking cannibalizing the ipods market.

Video buffs will not be satisfied with the size of the phone and will need both if looking for both a phone and a video player.

Agree with this - some of the best bits of the iPhone are not the video bits but the way the phone works, especially the voice mail etc...

different products. As I have said in other threads, I think the iPhone will potentially canabilise iPod nano sales more than a true 100GB video iPod....