iphone: OSX or OSX lite?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Is it really OSX in that tiny 4 gig phone?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,751member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gordio View Post


    Is it really OSX in that tiny 4 gig phone?



    It's OS X technology, but not the full blown OS X. The software is made up all parts of OS X, with no software taken in from outside sources.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    ya its pretty much os x lite..but i guess its capable with all desktop applications, they just need to be modified for the phone,



    im a little upset they didnt do wireless syncing with the phone to your mac, i hope that will be added before launch day
  • Reply 3 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,751member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post


    Im a little upset they didnt do wireless syncing with the phone to your mac, i hope that will be added before launch day



    Phone wont be released for 5 months.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    pbpb Posts: 4,237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gordio View Post


    Is it really OSX in that tiny 4 gig phone?



    As the others said, it must be a stripped down version of OS X. But does it really matters in the end? The message here is that the iPhone is a computer with unknown, at this time, processor and running its own OS and software.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post


    As the others said, it must be a stripped down version of OS X. But does it really matters in the end? The message here is that the iPhone is a computer with unknown, at this time, processor and running its own OS and software.



    iPhone processor has been confirmed to be supplied by intel.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    pbpb Posts: 4,237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toneloco28 View Post


    iPhone processor has been confirmed to be supplied by intel.



    The contrary would surprise me, but do we already know which processor exactly?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    The exact processor wasn't confirmed but a spokesperson from Apple, verified it was from intel. I expect it's a XScale variant of some sort.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    pbpb Posts: 4,237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toneloco28 View Post


    The exact processor wasn't confirmed but a spokesperson from Apple, verified it was from intel. I expect it's a XScale variant of some sort.



    OK, thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,549moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post


    As the others said, it must be a stripped down version of OS X. But does it really matters in the end? The message here is that the iPhone is a computer with unknown, at this time, processor and running its own OS and software.



    I reckon it could easily be the full OS X as we know it but obviously missing some components like the Apache webserver, Automator etc. Despite an OS X install taking 15GB+, the system is just 1.8GB.



    If it's based on Leopard (which you can expect with core animtion support) then it may be leaner anyway. I would guess you could get the full OS X system down to 500MB or less if you downsize all the graphics and remove all the frameworks and drivers that aren't necessary.



    It would be interesting to find out if OS X apps will run on it without modification. I think that would be a big key to its success because it would make seamless transfer from office to being on the move.



    Although it has 4GB, it has a card slot too I think so that is limitless memory as you can carry as many 8GB cards as you want.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    pbpb Posts: 4,237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    Although it has 4GB, it has a card slot too I think so that is limitless memory as you can carry as many 8GB cards as you want.



    Heh, take a breath and ask your wallet first!



    To tell the truth, I was surprised to see the iPhone with the iPod features (and much more) but without the hefty iPod storage.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    no room for a 30 or 80GB hard drive in that form factor, and the battery requirements to spin, read and write to a hard drive wouldreduce the talk time considerably.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    pbpb Posts: 4,237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gilwave View Post


    no room for a 30 or 80GB hard drive in that form factor, and the battery requirements to spin, read and write to a hard drive wouldreduce the talk time considerably.



    So, it is more thin than a normal iPod?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post


    So, it is more thin than a normal iPod?



    the iPhone is as thick as the 30GB iPod, slimmer than the 80GB model. But - the iPhone has the cellular apparatus and sensor grid tucked in there, as well as the proximity sensor and some other electronics. No room, either physically or from a power-consumption viewpoint, for a micro-drive



    -gil
  • Reply 14 of 14
    ya this phone is off the hook, and i believe you will be able to fit normal mac os x apps to it as well, steve jobs did say it was fully applicable to standard mac os x apps, its the full system...but probably downsized for the phone
Sign In or Register to comment.