Stuff that should be doable with ApTV or iPhone, but might not be.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
ApTV

1. Hook a keyboard, mouse, and monitor and use it as an NC.

2. Attach a USB HD for more storage.

3. Use as an Airport Extreme (in addition to its meant use)

4. Stream 1080p via ethernet (I assume it can process that, but wireless can't handle it).

5. Sync your ipod to it

iPhone

1. Track your location or other users location by GPS on map

2. Control with wireless keyboard

3. Function via wifi as a cordless landline phone when at home.

4. PDF viewing

5. OCR of pictures taken with camera.

6. Attach to USB hard drive/thumb drive.

7. Squirrel snare

In some cases I might have missed something in the provided materials, but I did RTFA.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nordstrodamus View Post

ApTV

4. Stream 1080p via ethernet (I assume it can process that, but wireless can't handle it).

5. Sync your ipod to it

Refusing to comment on the iPhone at the moment

In some cases I might have missed something in the provided materials, but I did RTFA.

1. Why? It just streams content, there is no need for this.

2. Why? From what I can tell, it only uses this as a rather large Cache. There's no need to attach External Storage.

3. I agree on this one, but then that would make Apple's new Airport Extreme old already, so they probably avoided this. I'm also trying to picture how I would access the Internet through it AND stream iTunes content to it without being kicked off of it multiple times a day.

4. 720p is only for anything that MIGHT be in HD (Macbreak Podcast, Movie Trailers, etc.) and 1080p isn't widespred enough. But 802.11n should be able to handle it using the HDD Cache anyways, so they probably just thought it wasn't needed.

5. Why? Why not just sync your iPod to iTunes, since thats the exact same thing you'll be syncing your iTV to to cache content onto the HDD? It's more like putting syncing in with the iPod just for the sake of it, and there is really no need to.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:

iPhone

4. PDF viewing

7. Squirrel snare

1. I agree about the GPS. That would be a wonderful little addition.

2. No, I don't see any point in having a wireless keyboard, that would pretty much defeat its purpose.

3. I like that idea, but it's useless, I think. Just get rid of your landline and use the phone as a primary device.

4. Good idea. Hopefully they'll add this functionality in a later version.

5. WTH? I'm a techie, but I'm bad with abbreviations.

6. This is a decent idea, but I think adding that new Samsung 60GB mini-HDD would be a better idea, in my opinion.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Padilla79 View Post

5. WTH? I'm a techie, but I'm bad with abbreviations.

OCR=Optical Character Recognition, or something similar

On the iPhone, GPS is a next logical step, whether it's through a doc connector accessory (like Nike+) or built-in (future). I'll be and if they don't support PDF viewing; it seems like a no-brainer.

Something they didn't show was if you could stream content from the iPhone to AppleTV. They showed Phil coming over with a laptop (iTunes) and sharing content temporarily, but no mention of that feature with iPhone (would that be too Zune-y?).
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by octane View Post

.Something they didn't show was if you could stream content from the iPhone to AppleTV. They showed Phil coming over with a laptop (iTunes) and sharing content temporarily, but no mention of that feature with iPhone (would that be too Zune-y?).

Of course they didn't because they didn't even say it would have this feature. Why the hell would you need to stream content from your Apple iPhone to the AppleTV when you can just use your Mac or PC?

Sebastian
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I'm on board for the squirrel snare. Damn squirrels... DOH!
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

ApTV

I see little value in this in my living room. However, if I had an old PPC G3 as well as a more modern Mac (as a friend has) I would happily throw out the old G3 and plug the appleTV into the existing monitor, keyboard, and mouse - providing I could run both keyboard/screens as if they were 2 separate computers.

Of course, I don't need a 40GB hard disk, or the component/HDMI/digital audio outputs, or remote control for that. Could drop the price down atleast $50

Quote:

Yes, may be possible, may not. We'll see.

Quote:

Like existing Macs can be used as Airport networks, I guess this could be useful. As long as routing wireless to wired didn't take processor time away from the Entertainment....

Quote:

They said 720p. And if they sync the AppleTV then the wireless throughput doesn't matter. I assume it will not do this.

Quote:

5. Sync your ipod to it

Syncing may not be useful, but connecting could be. If I turn up at my parents with my iPod and want to show a video, just plugging it into the AppleTV and running it from the AppleTV would be cool (similar interface as connecting to other iTunes around the home)

Other things that may be possible, may not:

6. Plug in the elgato digital tv tuner (to the USB port) and watch live TV.

7. Operate without any iTunes computers in the house.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    the keynote says GPS wil be built in to google maps..we have 5 months for them to implement finding other users or directions..hopefully that will be included since Google shoudl give them everything as new partners especially that
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

2. Why? From what I can tell, it only uses this as a rather large Cache. There's no need to attach External Storage.

Thats just wrong. Its a hard drive. It syncs with iTunes. It may be a cache as a secondary function but this was not hinted at all. Quit spreading disinformation in all your posts its pissing me off. A hard drive with syncing would be very useful for those w/o 802.11n, a slower sync over time is much better than waiting for buffering with streaming. If all your media was right there it would speed things up a lot.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    All I have to say is: When the hacker community gets its hands on the AppleTV, it's going to be a field day.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

the keynote says GPS wil be built in to google maps.

Were we watching the same keynote?

Where'd it say that? He manually picks the location in the demo.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    yes i know hepicks it...but LISTEN, it says it will have GPS capablities...and if that happens google will go full out on their partnership and include directions...hopefully??...but i do know it says gps will be included, u gotta listen for it when he talks about the google maps feature
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

Thats just wrong. Its a hard drive. It syncs with iTunes. It may be a cache as a secondary function but this was not hinted at all. Quit spreading disinformation in all your posts its pissing me off. A hard drive with syncing would be very useful for those w/o 802.11n, a slower sync over time is much better than waiting for buffering with streaming. If all your media was right there it would speed things up a lot.

Apparently you don't understand what I mean by a Cache. I mean, like a Cache, it is used to store data from your iTunes/iPhoto libraries and pull up without streaming it, in this way you could store some Movies and TV, but it certainly doesn't sync your entire Library.

Don't disagree with me by agreeing with me and saying I'm spreading disinformation, or I'll accuse you of FUD!

Sebastian
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I see little value in this in my living room. However, if I had an old PPC G3 as well as a more modern Mac (as a friend has) I would happily throw out the old G3 and plug the appleTV into the existing monitor, keyboard, and mouse - providing I could run both keyboard/screens as if they were 2 separate computers.

Not a real value for the living room, but as an NC you could hook it up to a MacPro in a lab environment and have a cheap and easy to administrate solution.

Quote:

Syncing may not be useful, but connecting could be. If I turn up at my parents with my iPod and want to show a video, just plugging it into the AppleTV and running it from the AppleTV would be cool (similar interface as connecting to other iTunes around the home)

Good point.

Quote:

Other things that may be possible, may not:

6. Plug in the elgato digital tv tuner (to the USB port) and watch live TV.

7. Operate without any iTunes computers in the house.

It'd be nice to know how much they opened it to developers as I can really see Elgato wanting to do this, but I imagine they will have to just work on how to feed it through the networked mac.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Of course they didn't because they didn't even say it would have this feature. Why the hell would you need to stream content from your Apple iPhone to the AppleTV when you can just use your Mac or PC?

Sebastian

You missed the point entirely. OF COURSE YOU WOULD NOT STREAM CONTENT FROM YOUR PHONE TO YOUR APPLETV! Read the scenario I cited above, again. I don't think Steve said they were at Phil's house, now did he? (did you even watch the keynote?? ) My questioning that feature assumes a person doesn't take a laptop EVERYWHERE they go, follow me?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

You missed the point entirely. OF COURSE YOU WOULD NOT STREAM CONTENT FROM YOUR PHONE TO YOUR APPLETV! Read the scenario I cited above, again. I don't think Steve said they were at Phil's house, now did he? (did you even watch the keynote?? ) My questioning that feature assumes a person doesn't take a laptop EVERYWHERE they go, follow me?

I got it loud and clear, and while it could make sense, they definitely didn't announce it. This iPhone is supposedly the Final Design that will be released for FCC Inspection before launch.

Yes I watched the Keynote, and Phil was able to Stream content from his Laptop because that's what the AppleTV does, it streams content from someones computer. I concede I did not pay very much attention to the first part of the Keynote though, so unless the AppleTV does something outside of Streaming to your TV by Caching to the 40GB HDD, I'm at a loss of what I overlooked.

Sebastian
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

I got it loud and clear, and while it could make sense, they definitely didn't announce it. This iPhone is supposedly the Final Design that will be released for FCC Inspection before launch.

Yes I watched the Keynote, and Phil was able to Stream content from his Laptop because that's what the AppleTV does, it streams content from someones computer. I concede I did not pay very much attention to the first part of the Keynote though, so unless the AppleTV does something outside of Streaming to your TV by Caching to the 40GB HDD, I'm at a loss of what I overlooked.

Sebastian

I apologize if my previous post sounded offensive, it seems that way reading over it again.

The point from my original post was I would like to take an iPhone to a friends house and stream a tv show or movie from the phone that my friend doesn't have. It's not a necessity; I'll still buy one, it would just be (IMO) better than taking a case of DVDs or my laptop everywhere. 8)
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

I apologize if my previous post sounded offensive, it seems that way reading over it again.

The point from my original post was I would like to take an iPhone to a friends house and stream a tv show or movie from the phone that my friend doesn't have. It's not a necessity; I'll still buy one, it would just be (IMO) better than taking a case of DVDs or my laptop everywhere. 8)

Ah, well like I pointed out, Apple hasn't announced it, and I don't know if I mentioned this here or somewhere else, but the phone Apple showed, is the final model that Apple submitted to the FCC for them to approve.

I think you'll have to use your Laptop in this case.

I didn't take it as offensive. This is Apple Insider, everything can easily be taken as offensive if you look hard enough. 8)

Sebastian
  • Reply 18 of 18
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

ApTV

5. Sync your ipod to it

1. Monitor is your TV. Keyboard and mouse? Yes, that would be cool, in certain limited scenarios. But is a mini all that much more expensive? (Twice as expensive...but a million times the power and versatility).

2. I think that's what the USB plug is for. What else could it be? (It's either this, number 5, or both.)

3. I think it will be this too. After all, that's what Airport Express is/was.

4. Agreed. If only for the marketing/bragging rights. The HDTV world is now capitalizing on their years of misinformation by selling "real" (i.e., 1080i/p) HDTVs. People are now becoming aware that 720p is not "Full HD" (even if they can't actually tell the difference.)

5. Agreed.

Quote:

iPhone

4. PDF viewing

7. Squirrel snare

1. I want GPS too. Think of how many calls are made to ask "where are you?" He did mention GPS in the keynote, right?

2. Meh.

3. Meh.

4. Already supported.

5. ????? You mean to use it as a portable scanner? How many people would use this, and how accurate would it be? I wouldn't want to stake Apple's rep on this. Hopefully, they'll just allow third party apps.

6. Why? Where/How? (iPhone doesn't have a USB port.)

Someone mentioned streamming from the iPhone to the Apple TV. That should be a no-brainer for Apple. (Is the iPhone "g" or "n"?)

I really want the ability to create third party apps. One thing I would think would be ultra cool is using it as a remote a la Salling Clicker.

Also, how Wii-like is the accelerometer in the iPhone? Imagine using the iPhone as your "mouse." Heehee (or Hiihii). (Probably not...)

On the ATV, people need to realize that it is not just a Airport Express with Video. It's probably better to think of it as a large iPod with an external monitor that has Wifi streaming. You are supposed to keep things locally on it, though you have the option of streaming as well.

Another cool thing would be to be able to stream (say music) from the ATV to Wifi speakers (say connected to an Airport Express) around the house.