"Apple Computer" to "Apple"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is anyone else vaguely disturbed by the transition from "Apple Computer" to "Apple".

I hate the idea of Apple losing focus and becoming nothing but a producer of lifestyle gadgets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I agree, it's a little disturbing, but was inevitable I think.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    The way I look at it is Steve Jobs has publicly said he wants Apple to be the next Sony. So now, they are just coming out with new gadgets every few years. So many people over at the MacRumors forum are so scared Apple will drop hardware. That's silly. Apple is just maturing
  • Reply 3 of 16
    sony aint that great. I worked for Screen Gems (a sony arm) and they laid a bunch of us out and outsourced
  • Reply 4 of 16
    It does not disturb me. Microsoft is not "Microsoft Computer" for the same reason Apple is no longer "Apple Computer". Apple will not focus less on computers at all. In fact, they will focus more on computers. It's just their entire company will expand. It's a sign of whats to come.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Perhaps better represented as a Mind Map PDF... I've been thinking about making one for a while...

Sebastian
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Show us the MindMap, Lewis!

I'm not disturbed at all. I think Apple is probably very aware of where things are heading, and the possibility that computers are going to increasing become integrated elements of other devices, and possibly lose their uniqueness, as I think the iPhone is beginning to show.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Show us the MindMap, Lewis!

I'm not disturbed at all. I think Apple is probably very aware of where things are heading, and the possibility that computers are going to increasing become integrated elements of other devices, and possibly lose their uniqueness, as I think the iPhone is beginning to show.

Sure, I'll write it up today or something... 8)

Sebastian
  • Reply 8 of 16
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

increasing become integrated elements of other devices,

Yep. I remember a few years back IBM had this commercial where a kid was standing in some place in Rome screaming 'buy, buy buy' buyind pork futures and talking to his mom all with this wearable computer. I think that day is coming and that is where Apple is heading.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat;

Is anyone else vaguely disturbed by the transition from "Apple Computer" to "Apple".

No.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat;

I hate the idea of Apple losing focus and becoming nothing but a producer of lifestyle gadgets.

Apple losing focus? Their new phone runs OS X, and is designed to sync with their computers. iTV is a media extender, done in style, with a Front Row 2.0-type UI. The reason Leopard wasn't mentioned was because Apple wont require any feedback or help polishing of the last few bits, and they don't want to demo it until they can say; "Shipping Today!"
  • Reply 10 of 16
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I could have sworn that Steve had declared that Apple Computer would change it's name to 'Apple' a while back in a keynote. Am I mistaken or what?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

Is is just me or didn't Steve Jobs make a very similar (exact?) announcement when he first retuned to Apple or perhaps it was the year they introduced the first iMac? I dunno but I got a HUGE DéjÃ* Vu when I heard that. err... saw it blogged on the macrumors live feed transcript.

Am I the only one?

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 16
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crusader View Post

I could have sworn that Steve had declared that Apple Computer would change it's name to 'Apple' a while back in a keynote. Am I mistaken or what?

Hah !! So I wasn't the only one... (I musta still been typing when you posted)

Dave
  • Reply 13 of 16
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Won't this get them in trouble with Apple Records and the Beatles again? Maybe they bought the beatles company, and it just has not yet been announced.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Mac will continue as the "Digital Hub". These new accessories are extensions to the Mac.

The corporate name change to Apple, Incorporated is in line with the public recognition of Apple Retail Stores and www.apple.com. Who among us referred to Apple Computer, Inc. when talking amongst ourselves or proselytizing?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

The way I look at it is Steve Jobs has publicly said he wants Apple to be the next Sony.

That's exactly what I was thinking as I watched the keynote. Apple is turning into Sony. But so far anyway, they do everything better than Sony does, so I can't complain. Yet.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I was a bit bummed about that. Just because of nostalgic reasons.