Macworld: Apple's iPhone runs on chip from Intel

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If our early reports that Apple's iPhone would run a variant of Mac OS X didn't give it away, Apple this week confirmed the device will employ a microchip from Intel Corp. at its core.

In a statement picked up by Reuters on Wednesday, an Apple Germany spokesman is quoted as confirming the news.

"The processor is from Intel," the spokesman said, declining to go into specifics.

Apple on Tuesday also confirmed that the world's largest chipmaker will play a central role in its forthcoming Apple TV product product, due to begin shipping sometime next month.

But as is the case with iPhone, Apple isn't yet commenting on which family of Intel chips will be used.

I'd think that the most likely one is an Xscale chip, which is an ARM variant. They are very low power and ARM chips have been in iPods from the first model.

I would be somewhat surprised if it was something else.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'd think that the most likely one is an Xscale chip, which is an ARM variant. They are very low power and ARM chips have been in iPods from the first model.

I would be somewhat surprised if it was something else.

XScale was sold to Marvell, though.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

I suppose that's true now, but Intel still has them on their site.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:

They're still being made by Intel until Marvell comes up with their own manufacturing capabilities. I think XScale is the only non-x86 processor line (well besides the Itanium) that Intel has. And they aren't going to put an x86 in a phone...that would just be downright stupid.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    This story is incorrect. See this article:

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...c=66&type=qcna
  • Reply 5 of 24
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Rats, you beat me!
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malokata View Post

This story is incorrect. See this article:

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...c=66&type=qcna

Interesting. But it complicates things.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    If our early reports that Apple's iPhone would run a variant of Mac OS X didn't give it away, Apple this week confirmed the device will employ a microchip from Intel Corp. at its core.

In a statement picked up by Reuters on Wednesday, an Apple Germany spokesman is quoted as confirming the news.

"The processor is from Intel," the spokesman said, declining to go into specifics.

Apple on Tuesday also confirmed that the world's largest chipmaker will play a central role in its forthcoming Apple TV product product, due to begin shipping sometime next month.

But as is the case with iPhone, Apple isn't yet commenting on which family of Intel chips will be used.

In related news, Reuters is also reporting that Balda will supply touch-screens for the iPhone.

Shares of the German company soared by as much as 10 percent after a company spokesperson confirmed the news.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:

This guy knows nothing. He's just another blogger reading the news.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This guy knows nothing. He's just another blogger reading the news.

Can't I be both a blogger reading the news, and know something, at the same time?

Daniel
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel Jalkut View Post

Can't I be both a blogger reading the news, and know something, at the same time?

Daniel

When you are an industry expert, yes. Are you claiming to be that? Your blog had nothing in it to indicate it.

And who is your dad? Perhaps he is an expert.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

When you are an industry expert, yes. Are you claiming to be that? Your blog had nothing in it to indicate it.

Perhaps I misunderstood the meaning of your statement. All I claim to know is that a news article exists in which Intel denies its chips are being used. But I suspect your use of "knows nothing" was more nuanced (if easily perceivable as rude).
  • Reply 13 of 24
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    You'd be rather insane not to use an ARM based processor in a mobile phone product these days.

Especially when you have a lot of ARM experience from a major product line, the iPod.

The iPhone is meant to have both Samsung and Marvell chips inside. It could have a Marvell application processor (XScale) and a Samsung phone processor (including a phone-dedicated ARM chip).
  • Reply 14 of 24
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    This story is WRONG. Apple has issued a press release as has Intel stating that the iPhone is NOT running an Intel chip.

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/new...a-283052-1.xml
  • Reply 15 of 24
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Oooooo
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel Jalkut View Post

Perhaps I misunderstood the meaning of your statement. All I claim to know is that a news article exists in which Intel denies its chips are being used. But I suspect your use of "knows nothing" was more nuanced (if easily perceivable as rude).

Then let me make a point.

It's interesting when someone points us to a blog of someone we have never heard of, and who seems to be nothing more than one of millions trying to get some fame on the internet, and is not an authority on the subject. By far, the vast majority of bloggers fit into this catagory.

It is even more interesting when that blogger appears on the thread to whine about a comment not addressed to him, but is made about bloggers constantly.

One wonders why we were refered to this blog in the first place. Is the referrer a friend, trying to get some hits for his friend? It seems so. Otherwise how could that blogger pop up so suddenly?

Is that ethical in itself? Pointing us to a friend, rather than to a real source?

I don't know your relationship, but it does appear to be fishy.

And, you haven't answered my questions.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

It's interesting when someone points us to a blog of someone we have never heard of,

Now, now. Daniel Jalkut is quite infamous by now. If you've never heard of him, that only means you haven't been around the Mac developer scene much in the last year.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

Now, now. Daniel Jalkut is quite infamous by now. If you've never heard of him, that only means you haven't been around the Mac developer scene much in the last year.

I admit that I'm not good with names. I may have seen it but not interacted with him, so I probably wouldn't remember.

Thanks for the heads up.

Too bad I have to leave now.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    OK, so the article is wrong, needs to be corrected, but if it isn't an Intel chip inside, what is it?
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Don't worry Melgross, Jalkut's good people: his blog was something of a public self help group back during the Rev.A MacBook Pro hardware problems saga. I still subscribe to the RSS as he's sometimes quite interesting in his codery views. On this he's just voicing his opinion as Joe Public, like we are too.