New Airport Extreme

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
If I were to buy a new Extreme with 802.11n and set it up with my Intel Core Duo--and an Airport Express which is streaming music to my stereo--

Will the computer run at n speed or will everything run at g speed--the speed on my Airport Express?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

If I were to buy a new Extreme with 802.11n and set it up with my Intel Core Duo--and an Airport Express which is streaming music to my stereo--

Will the computer run at n speed or will everything run at g speed--the speed on my Airport Express?

So, you want to connect to the new Airport Extreme wirelessly -- that connection should be at "n" speed. The connection between your computer and the APX connected to your stereo will be at the "g" speed. Hopefully I understand...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rshogg View Post

So, you want to connect to the new Airport Extreme wirelessly -- that connection should be at "n" speed. The connection between your computer and the APX connected to your stereo will be at the "g" speed. Hopefully I understand...

Yes I would like to use the new Airport Extreme to stream music via my Airport Express--this should be at g speed, but will my computers (Intel Duo) run at g or n speed.

If they would run at g speed --is there any advantage in buying the new one? I can continue using the Airport Extreme that I have which is running at g
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Yes I would like to use the new Airport Extreme to stream music via my Airport Express--this should be at g speed, but will my computers (Intel Duo) run at g or n speed.

If they would run at g speed --is there any advantage in buying the new one? I can continue using the Airport Extreme that I have which is running at g

The connection between your computer and the new Airport Extreme will be "n" speed. Other than that connection (Desktop - Base Station), I don't see an advantage.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rshogg View Post

The connection between your computer and the new Airport Extreme will be "n" speed. Other than that connection (Desktop - Base Station), I don't see an advantage.

Thanks for your advice
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Thanks for your advice

you bet.

8)