Who is switching to Cingular for iPhone?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    So far only Cingular can have the Visual VoiceMail. You might get another provider if you're willing to give that up, or wait until other providers can implement it.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    I agree with Kavik-Have been with T-Mobile a long time too

Have a plan that I am happy with and am able to sync up my phone via Bluetooth.

Thankfully am no longer under contract!

But am concerned for all the reason's stated. Cingualar's $59 plan for 600 minutes is not a deal

for me considering am paying $40 something for a thousand.

Hopefully Apple will have hammered out some sort of "seperate deal" regarding minute and data

use for Apple iPhone customers.

But like Jeff Goldblum said at the end of the first Titanium TV Ad " But Jeez your Just So Gonna Want One!"
  • Reply 23 of 52
    I spoke with an Apple rep yesterday when he was at my job and he said that the iPhone will NOT be CDMA. He said that Apple wanted to ensure QoS...so that's going to rule out Sprint, Verizon and who ever else still uses it. So it looks like it will be only Cingular and T-Mobile in the future....personally I have a Sprint Blackberry 8703e and I love the phone, especially when I tether it over EV-DO....just give me a touchscreen/widescreen 120 gig iPod and I'll be just fine!
  • Reply 24 of 52
    I am strongly opposed to any two year contract... and was so hoping that Apple could do this without getting into bed with one of the mega-companies. Might change my isp now that ATT bought them up (to switch away from them) but definitely wont be switching to ATT/Cingular.

It is an amazing product and I very much need a new phone -but one that is simple and easy -unencumbered by television, email, photos, and the web. It is disappointing to find oneself not among the chosen 1% but Maybe S.J. will come out with a "nano" phone later on.

(first post in a few years)
  • Reply 25 of 52
    I also have T-Mobile and have been really satisfied with it. Occasionally some dropped calls but mostly it's really reliable.

I want to know -- if Cingular is so technologically advanced (EDGE, etc.) why is their sound so poor? Everyone I know who has Cingular in the Midwest hates it and can't wait to get rid of it. So I am sooooo sad that Apple chose Cingular. I wanted to get an iPhone immediately, but I guess I'll wait a few years.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    I live about 45 miles north of Manhattan. Up here, Verizon has the best coverage. I happen to work in Connecticut and take mostly back roads to avoid traffic. Again, Verizon has the best coverage along the route. I've had AT&T/Cingular as well as Sprint; both have had poor coverage where I live. So, Verizon is the only reliable provider for me at this time. I also have to carry a Blackberry and there's no way I'm carrying two phones!

Frankly, I want an iPhone minus the phone (and add a HD)...I guess that would be the new iPod Video. I'll pay whatever Apple is asking for that device!

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 27 of 52
    It depends where you are for the quality of service, I think everyone knows that. Where I live none of the carriers are complete crap. What I'm hoping is that other carriers will adopt the same perspective as Cingular regarding the iPhone so that wherever I am living at the time that I can afford it, I'll be able to get the best service. The chances of this happening depend on iPhone's success, I think.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrwnTiger View Post

I spoke with an Apple rep yesterday when he was at my job and he said that the iPhone will NOT be CDMA.

All 3G networks are based on CDMA, so this rep is most definitely wrong. Reps aren't generally versed that much on future technologies, but I'm pretty certain the iPhone will go 3G at some point.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    I am currently with Cingular and I am wondering if I'll be able cancel my current contract and buy an iPhone without a early termination fee.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

I am currently with Cingular and I am wondering if I'll be able cancel my current contract and buy an iPhone without a early termination fee.

Thats not contract cancellation. You are always allowed to sign a new contract with the same provider.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

Newsflash: They all suck!

Everytime I've considered switching (and I've tried a couple of the others; Sprint and T-Mobile) either the service is no better than what I have, or for ones I haven't tried, seems everyone I know who has the "other" service tell me it sucks.

I've yet to hear a universal "X-Brand Cell Service" is great!

ya every phone company sucks sorry to say they all have their goods and bads...and you can trust me on this ive had verizon nextel tmobile and now im definitly going to cingular for the iphone, only company i havent had in my area is sprint (southern california)....

im going to cingular because i use the network anyways, by this i mean, having t-mobile, there isnt a tmobile tower for about a 50 mile radius around me, so my phone pretty much always says cingular on it, not once have i experienced a dropped call in 9 months...not even while driving, so i dont mind the switch, now im antsy to see if they will put together an unlimited data plan like tmobile did with the sidekick...hopefully!
  • Reply 32 of 52
    kavikkavik Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

im going to cingular because i use the network anyways, by this i mean, having t-mobile, there isnt a tmobile tower for about a 50 mile radius around me, so my phone pretty much always says cingular on it, not once have i experienced a dropped call in 9 months...not even while driving, so i dont mind the switch, now im antsy to see if they will put together an unlimited data plan like tmobile did with the sidekick...hopefully!

Don't bet on them being anywhere near as competitive as T-Mobile. Remember they're the biggest so they don't have to be. ...and just wait until you have a billing problem or have to get ahold of customer service.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

It will be available for Sprint before too long. Verizon, I'm not sure: Verizon is the king of crippling phones.

Maybe 2009, but not before then I guess.

I'm assuming Apple chose a Service that works great around Cupertino

Sebastian
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rayapple View Post

Cingular Sucks!

Newsflash:

If Apple had gone with T-Mobile

T-Mobile Sucks

If Apple had gone with Sprint or Nextel

Sprint-Nextel Sucks

If Apple had gone with Verizon

Verizon Sucks

If Apple had gone unlocked

The iPhone would Suck

If Apple had gone MVNO

The Service Plan would be too expensive and there wouldn't be enough coverage

Sebastian

The Truth Sucks

• Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:

All 3G networks are based on CDMA, so this rep is most definitely wrong. Reps aren't generally versed that much on future technologies, but I'm pretty certain the iPhone will go 3G at some point.

I'm pretty sure that rep must have been talking about... you know, the iPhone that's coming out in June then.

So he would be correct in saying CDMA is not in the iPhone and neither is 3G.

Sebastian
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

So he would be correct in saying CDMA is not in the iPhone and neither is 3G.

We all know that the iPhone, as it stands now, is not 3G. But "will be" specifies any point in the future. Even not counting that, it almost seems foolish for any device coming out in June to be less than UTMS at the very least. UTMS, for the record, uses CDMA and is handled by Cingular. It's the worst of the 3G standards, but it's from the GSM bloodline so what more can you expect. . .
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

Newsflash: They all suck!

Everytime I've considered switching (and I've tried a couple of the others; Sprint and T-Mobile) either the service is no better than what I have, or for ones I haven't tried, seems everyone I know who has the "other" service tell me it sucks.

I've yet to hear a universal "X-Brand Cell Service" is great!

Have you tried Verizon--here in Seattle I have had no problems
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:

We all know that the iPhone, as it stands now, is not 3G. But "will be" specifies any point in the future. Even not counting that, it almost seems foolish for any device coming out in June to be less than UTMS at the very least. UTMS, for the record, uses CDMA and is handled by Cingular. It's the worst of the 3G standards, but it's from the GSM bloodline so what more can you expect. . .

We know that 3G will be in the iPhone. What we don't know is if it is built for it now. My guess is no, and as of June, the iPhone won't be 3G, whether it is built for it or not.

Sebastian
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:

Newsflash:

T-Mobile Sucks

Sprint-Nextel Sucks

Verizon Sucks

The iPhone would Suck

If Apple had gone MVNO

Sebastian

The Truth Sucks

That is not true--I have had to lend my Verizon phone to people who couldn't get their carriers to work--one of the things holding me back from considering an iPhone is Cingular
  • Reply 40 of 52
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Quote:

Newsflash:

T-Mobile Sucks

Sprint-Nextel Sucks

Verizon Sucks

The iPhone would Suck

If Apple had gone MVNO

Sebastian

The Truth Sucks

I couldnt agree more!

Either get the phone with the service provider or dont and stop the bitching already.

This will be one of those subjects where 2 years down the road people will still be complaining that Apple didnt pick their service provider.

My provider wasnt picked either (Sprint).

Aside from Sept 11th (I live in Manhattan), I have had no phone service problems with Sprint.

On the other hand, I have been very unhappy with the customer help we get as well as billing issues. But this is previlant in every service provider. They all add tiny charges you usually dont notice and they make it very difficult to cancel the service when you want to leave.

I want an iPhone and expect nothing less then crappy customer service and billing issues with Cingular.

My big issue with the iPhone is the battery that cant be changed. But that is for another thread....