Some things the iPhone NEEDS, imo

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm in love with this thing, but I'm forcing myself NOT to buy it until a 2G iPhone is released. Here's a few things I'm looking for:

1. More storage -- I'd like to see more storage, along the lines of 16-32GB, or even that wonderful 60GB mini-HDD that Samsung is releasing

2. Utilization of WiFi -- Why not beat Zune at it's own game? Sync wirelessly with WiFi and/or Bluetooth with other phones and computers. Download something from the iTunes Store onto the iPhone and then sync it with the PC, and vice versa. Or how about iPhone-to-iPhone communication, much like what the Nintendo DS does.

3. 3G Network -- EDGE sucks. I use it on my Razr and it's HORRIBLE. 3G is the way to go, and I'm waiting for it.

4. More software -- I'd like to see AIM on my iPhone, even though I can just route my IMs to my phone and talk via SMS. Having an iPhone-tailored AIM would be perfect, I think.

5. Video camera -- I'm not sure if it has it or not, but I think the iPhone only has a 2mp camera. I'd like to see video functionality so that that wonderfully amazing widescreen could be put to even better use.

Don't get me wrong, like I said before, I'm in love with this thing, but I'd like to see a few of those aforesaid 5 things before I spend $600.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 144
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    the iPhone doesn't have a photocamera at all, or???

I'd rather buy a very cheap photocamera which performs 10 times better than the latest photo-phone.
  • Reply 2 of 144
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

the iPhone doesn't have a photocamera at all, or???

I'd rather buy a very cheap photocamera which performs 10 times better than the latest photo-phone.

Yes, it does. A 2Mpix, lens is on the back. That probably outperforms your cheapo camera right there.
  • Reply 3 of 144
    1. Absolutely, yes, I can't agree more. I still can't help but thinking that 4 or 8gb is some cruel practical joke Steve Jobs played on me.

2. Well I will give you the downloading wirelessly from stores and the like, and device to device communication. I somehow think the phone to phone communication is something they wanted but when proposed the heads of several people at the record labels heads exploded. See what MS went through with the Zune for an example. Syncing wirelessly seems completely pointless however. Why wouldn't I want to dock it while I sync and get a bit of a battery recharge. Given the projected battery life of this device I will have to charge it 3 times a day anyhow.

3. I believe Jobs has already stated this was coming. I heard that yesterday stated on CNBC (not directly from Jobs mouth however). The justification I have heard (not from CNBC) was edge is more widespread than 3g, so while 3g is clearly better, it won't help out some guy in Idaho buying an iPhone who doesn't have access to a 3g network. And gen 1 is all about trying to give something to everyone.

4. Yes I see what you mean, and I think widgets are the means to accomplish this.

5. meh. I understand the desire here, but on the other hand i think cameras on phones are a scurge invented by evil french Canadians to waste valuable space that could have been used to put in a better antena to improve cell phone reception. The last thing I want is more space taken up for a video camera I also won't use as it absolutely stinks vs the performance and features of my camcorder.
  • Reply 4 of 144
    Well, see, I like having a video camera on my phone for whenever I feel like taking a quick video. I'm not asking for some amazing HD recorder or anything, just a video camera which would take advantage of the widescreen and stuff like that.

And about the Widgets. See, I'm a PC user, and I'm completely unfamiliar with Mac software, so I didn't know you could make an AIM widget or whatever. That's pretty awesome. Oh, and btw, when I get this phone, I'll probably be switching to Mac w/ Boot Camp for my Windows apps.
  • Reply 5 of 144
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Padilla79 View Post

I'm in love with this thing, but I'm forcing myself NOT to buy it until a 2G iPhone is released. Here's a few things I'm looking for:

1. More storage -- I'd like to see more storage, along the lines of 16-32GB, or even that wonderful 60GB mini-HDD that Samsung is releasing

16 GB is doable now. However, the iPhone doesn't have an HDD, so 60 is completely out of question at this point.

Quote:

2. Utilization of WiFi -- Why not beat Zune at it's own game? Sync wirelessly with WiFi and/or Bluetooth with other phones and computers.

I don't see the point of this as opposed to using Bluetooth for it, which already provides suitable profiles.

Quote:

Download something from the iTunes Store onto the iPhone and then sync it with the PC, and vice versa. Or how about iPhone-to-iPhone communication, much like what the Nintendo DS does.

iPhone-to-iPhone communication is essentially already there. It switches seamlessly between cellular and WiFi.

Quote:

3. 3G Network -- EDGE sucks. I use it on my Razr and it's HORRIBLE. 3G is the way to go, and I'm waiting for it.

Steve said 3G is coming somewhere down the road.

Quote:

4. More software -- I'd like to see AIM on my iPhone, even though I can just route my IMs to my phone and talk via SMS. Having an iPhone-tailored AIM would be perfect, I think.

Agreed, but there is no indication so far regarding third-party apps. Might be possible from day 1.

Quote:

5. Video camera -- I'm not sure if it has it or not, but I think the iPhone only has a 2mp camera. I'd like to see video functionality so that that wonderfully amazing widescreen could be put to even better use.

Video chat is pointless without 3G, though.
  • Reply 6 of 144
    I think I may need to take back what I said about widgets. I read comments about it being a closed system. The implication seems to be there are widgets, yes, but it is closed to 3rd party development like the full blown OSX or yahoo widgets have.
  • Reply 7 of 144
    Quote:

Video chat is pointless without 3G, though.

Well, I'm not talking about video chat, I'm just talking about recording a movie and storing it, possibly sending it to someone via MMS. Video chat would be friggin awesome, but I doubt we'll see that anytime soon.
  • Reply 8 of 144
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Well, I'm not talking about video chat, I'm just talking about recording a movie and storing it, possibly sending it to someone via MMS. Video chat would be friggin awesome, but I doubt we'll see that anytime soon.

They almost for sure have that.

Hehe... I wonder if the iPhone has photobooth effects?
  • Reply 9 of 144
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I don't get the demands for more memory. Compared to what? The iPhone has far more memory than any other smart phone on the market.

HDD is out for the time being for battery life reasons. Everybody's griping about the price, another 8 GB of flash memory isn't really going to help that out, is it? Memory will grow as flash prices come down and Apple can maintain its price point. Unless battery tech gets a lot better, don't look for HDD anytime soon. This isn't an iPod, which only has to do one thing and do it fairly simply.

As has been noted, not allowing wireless downloads is pretty clearly a recording industry thing, on account of there endless stupidity. I'm sure Apple has everything in place, if the record execs ever get their heads out of their asses.

I'm not very experienced with EDGE speeds, but I've read in several places that the real bottle-neck is the Blazer browser that typically is used. The consensus seems to be that while slower, it's not deal breaker slower and the trade-off in ubiquity and battery life makes sense.

The jury is out on how much access to developers and third party apps Apple will allow. Of course at this point they are keeping things in-house, it only makes sense. It seems pretty likely that things will open up as the platform matures.
  • Reply 10 of 144
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I don't get the demands for more memory. Compared to what? The iPhone has far more memory than any other smart phone on the market.

They are comparing it to the iPod. Even if Steve announced it with 16GB I'm sure people would still complain.

Quote:

3G Network -- EDGE sucks. I use it on my Razr and it's HORRIBLE. 3G is the way to go, and I'm waiting for it

I'm hearing a lot of negative reviews about EDGE. Hopefully 3G will be available right away.

Quote:

The jury is out on how much access to developers and third party apps Apple will allow. Of course at this point they are keeping things in-house, it only makes sense. It seems pretty likely that things will open up as the platform matures.

Its difficult to tell with this one. Apple has been known to misdirect information and all out lie to enhance the oohh ahh factor when they officially announce products.

The fact that it uses widgets alone says it should be open to third party apps. It would be pretty frustrating to have favorite widgets or create useful widgets in Leopard but not be able to use them on the iPhone.

What do you do when you receive a word or excel document in your e-mail? They should allow the MacBU to provide word and excel for the iPhone. Closing the iPhone only hurts the platform as a whole.
  • Reply 11 of 144
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

They are comparing it to the iPod. Even if Steve announced it with 16GB I'm sure people would still complain.

I'm hearing a lot of negative reviews about EDGE. Hopefully 3G will be available right away.

Its difficult to tell with this one. Apple has been known to misdirect information and all out lie to enhance the oohh ahh factor when they officially announce products.

The fact that it uses widgets alone says it should be open to third party apps. It would be pretty frustrating to have favorite widgets or create useful widgets in Leopard but not be able to use them on the iPhone.

What do you do when you receive a word or excel document in your e-mail? They should allow the MacBU to provide word and excel for the iPhone. Closing the iPhone only hurts the platform as a whole.

Well one of the reasons they chose Mac OS X for the iPhone was Cocoa so I doubt you'll be limited to Widgets.

Sebastian
  • Reply 12 of 144
    Whatever form of OS X this is, embedded, slimmed down or radically modified, it seems pretty likely that for Apple it represents a platform. iPhone for now, a family of computing appliances in the future.

Given that, it seems almost impossible that Apple won't allow third party apps and development for the platform, even if the iPhone is somewhat locked down in the near term.
  • Reply 13 of 144
    Quote:

Here's a few things I'm looking for:

1. More storage

I think 8GB will do the job (for now), and we'll see more shortly. I am surprised that an 8GB Nano is $50 more than a 4GB Nano - but an 8GB iPhone is $100 more than a 4GB. What's up?

Quote:

2. Utilization of WiFi - Sync wirelessly with WiFi and/or Bluetooth with other phones and computers. Download something from the iTunes Store onto the iPhone and then sync it with the PC, and vice versa. Or how about iPhone-to-iPhone communication.

Interesting. phone-phone communication could allow network games. Being free communication though, we might use it too much and wipe out the battery.

I like the idea of downloading something from iTS onto the phone - then "sync purchases" back to iTunes. Could it equalise the information divide (so to speak) for people who can't get ADSL or cable? Imagine purchasing a season of a favourite show at home (on ISDN or dialup), having the iPhone be "on the lookout", and when you go near an Apple store or Cingular store, it connects via Wifi and downloads as much as it can.

Wifi voip calls would be good. Why fill the GSM network when you can use wifi?

Quote:

3. 3G Network.

Agreed. 3G is a requirement. It's being so heavily pushed here in Australia.

Quote:

4. More software -- I'd like to see AIM on my iPhone

I hope they'll allow 3rd party software. Integrating SMS-chat with iChat would be good. I can see some problems with letting anyone write anything - the ease of use might suffer!

Quote:

2mp cameras in phones are typically crap. The lense is simply not good enough.
  • Reply 14 of 144
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    I'd rather write with a stylus than tap on a keyboard (even a virtual, beyond the state of the art keyboard).

Moreover, I'd really want to be able to sketch on it (directions, ideas, etc.) and then email the sketches. Furthermore, I'd rather be able to quickly write down new information in the same way that I would with a small pad of paper. To me, THAT'S intuitive.

So close, and yet so far...

Damn!

Damn!

Damn!

The Treos have styli and that's one of the best things about them.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 15 of 144
    Well, about the memory. I know that a HDD is out of the question, I just think that a 60GB miniHDD is amazing. But, hey, Sandisk just announced a 32GB SSD (solid state disk...flash memory) for $600, heh.

But seriously, I think more memory is required. My music collection does not touch most other people's (I have about 1500 songs), but it takes up far more than 4GB of memory, around 6, I think. Then that leaves me room for pictures I'd be taking with the phone and such. If they're touting the ability to play movies so much, why not make it so that one could take a sizable amount of movies with them?

I don't know, I think the iPhone is cool, but I'm gonna wait before I spend $600. Apple is notorious for releasing pretty good upgrades down the line, so I'll be waiting happily. That, and switching to a Mac laptop (whatever they're called) when I go to college this fall.
  • Reply 16 of 144
    I am one of those pleading for more memory. The reason why is simple, I am looking at the device as a media player first with phone functionality thrown in. While some will look at that view in horror, it is a valid position. Sure as a smart phone it has terrific memory and the price is right in there with new smart phones hitting the market, it's terrific. But before I am sold on it as my next phone I need some more details that will surely come out in the next several months about it's corporate email abilities.
  • Reply 17 of 144
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I'd rather write with a stylus than tap on a keyboard (even a virtual, beyond the state of the art keyboard).

That's certainly a personal choice. Look at the market. No one else out side of Palm is adopting the stylus, QWERTY keyboards are far more popular.

Quote:

2mp cameras in phones are typically crap. The lense is simply not good enough.

The lens quality is not determined by the megapixels.

Megapixels in some ways mean nothing. The quality of the sensor is more important.

A 2MP sensor with higher quantization and better color sampling can easily beat a crappy 5MP sensor
  • Reply 18 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post

I am one of those pleading for more memory. The reason why is simple, I am looking at the device as a media player first with phone functionality thrown in. While some will look at that view in horror, it is a valid position. Sure as a smart phone it has terrific memory and the price is right in there with new smart phones hitting the market, it's terrific. But before I am sold on it as my next phone I need some more details that will surely come out in the next several months about it's corporate email abilities.

Clearly the iPhone is not for you. It's a mobile communicator/web appliance with a Nano expressed in software.

I think we all agree the touch screen interface will migrate to the iPod line, from the top down. Might see the "true video" 60/80GB model sooner than later. As far as a mainly iPod model with phone ability "thrown in", I dunno. The phone/conectivity stuff is too elaborately worked out for Apple to settle for "iPod that can make a call", it looks like to me.

Like I say, it looks to be a platform, and just as Apple wouldn't be likely to sell laptops that dropped a bunch of functionality to keep the price and size down, I don't think they're keen to start chopping this thing up. The iPod is a special case because of its importance the overall Apple ecosystem.
  • Reply 19 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aries 1B View Post

Yeah that is surprising. Maybe it's too slow, or something?

I wouldn't mind making voice recordings. Click on a date in my calendar, talk into the phone, and fix it up manually when I get home. Same for replying to emails... how about record a voice-reply and email that?
  • Reply 20 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post

1. Absolutely, yes, I can't agree more. I still can't help but thinking that 4 or 8gb is some cruel practical joke Steve Jobs played on me.

2. Well I will give you the downloading wirelessly from stores and the like, and device to device communication. I somehow think the phone to phone communication is something they wanted but when proposed the heads of several people at the record labels heads exploded. See what MS went through with the Zune for an example. Syncing wirelessly seems completely pointless however. Why wouldn't I want to dock it while I sync and get a bit of a battery recharge. Given the projected battery life of this device I will have to charge it 3 times a day anyhow.

3. I believe Jobs has already stated this was coming. I heard that yesterday stated on CNBC (not directly from Jobs mouth however). The justification I have heard (not from CNBC) was edge is more widespread than 3g, so while 3g is clearly better, it won't help out some guy in Idaho buying an iPhone who doesn't have access to a 3g network. And gen 1 is all about trying to give something to everyone.

4. Yes I see what you mean, and I think widgets are the means to accomplish this.

5. meh. I understand the desire here, but on the other hand i think cameras on phones are a scurge invented by evil french Canadians to waste valuable space that could have been used to put in a better antena to improve cell phone reception. The last thing I want is more space taken up for a video camera I also won't use as it absolutely stinks vs the performance and features of my camcorder.

agreed

1. space is ok would be nice it was at least 20gb tho..

2. i think this will actually end up being on the final product before launch date in june

3. ya i beleive you right, 3G is a waiste of time, ive only see it in NYC and NJ etc...its not even in Los Angeles, which is i beleive the 2nd biggest city of cell phone users, EDGE is widespread and more useful...

4. ya i dont care about the camera..i have a canon rebel for that...cameras on phones are good for quick shots to send to friends easily to show them something funny or familiar..like an inside joke, not to use for your science project or art show..