IMHO...Big Changes to iTunes Coming

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does anybody else look at the iPhone and see big changes coming to iTunes?

I think just as the iPhone converged "3 devices" into one with great software, so to will Apple converge certain components of iLife into one new bundled iTunes type app. Further I think this app will be cross platform and be renamed something other than iTunes.

If you look at the current version of iLife it has two functions; content creation (iMovie, iDVD, Garage Band, & iWeb) and content management (iTunes & iPhoto). The new dividing line will be drawn between creation vs. management.

When iPhone launches I think iTunes is going to get a slick new interface that helps you

1) manage content e.g. music, photos, & videos (imagine having coverflow animations when browsing your photo library) and potentially contacts

2) buy new content iTunes store

3) sync content with iPhone/iPod

Great hardware requires great software and I think part of that is not just the software on the device, but also on the desktop. It will require Apple to be creative in how they redesign iTunes, but this will be the direction they take for the best user experience.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    No I don't see changes that drastic coming to iTunes, especially since it's already equipped to handle the iPhone.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 12
    iTunes Music Store will probably be rebranded as simply, iTunes.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

iTunes Music Store will probably be rebranded as simply, iTunes.

Well you're a bit late on the uptake... that happened with the release of iTunes 7.0
  • Reply 4 of 12
    yea its been itunes store for awhile
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Bloody heck!
  • Reply 6 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple's new slogan; We have loads of more phones and some TV's planned.

I'm going out on a limb here to say I think we'll see a second more basic phone (iPhone mini if you will), a 100GB Fullscreen-touchscreen Video iPod, and two TV's from Apple Inc. before febuary 2008.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    If they were smart they would allow those windows apps that are important for business people to interface with iTunes which then would interface with the iPhone. This needs to happen before any of these people consider the iPhone because they need to use these apps.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    i dont think thats a good idea..i dont see windows allowing mac products on their phones...itll be the same for mac...u gotta decide who you like/need more...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    The business world is COMPLETELY DOMINATED BY MICROSOFT. If they want to sell phones to the vast majority of people that buy smart phones (business people who need all this functionality) they need to make it easy for them to switch or they will just go elsewhere. They are the ones who can afford to pay 600 bucks plus service for this phone. They will sell a lot more units.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

The business world is COMPLETELY DOMINATED BY MICROSOFT. If they want to sell phones to the vast majority of people that buy smart phones (business people who need all this functionality) they need to make it easy for them to switch or they will just go elsewhere. They are the ones who can afford to pay 600 bucks plus service for this phone. They will sell a lot more units.

May I ask who uses a Smartphone for anything outside of Email in the Business world? Surely you can't mean that someone actually uses the portable versions of Word Excel and Powerpoint. Notes? Taken Care of quite easily, hell there is even a stock widget to keep track of your Stock for you.

Sebastian
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ya purely amazing, and i stil beleive other apps can be added to the phone spite the rumors going on that it wont happen,i think it will
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

ya purely amazing, and i stil beleive other apps can be added to the phone spite the rumors going on that it wont happen,i think it will

The iPhone uses OS X and Steve made a point of mentioning Cocoa.

I think that settles it right there.

Sebastian