iSuit! Cisco to sue Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    all i know is i dont think this phone is even 50% completed....and i certainly think Job's knows this and is creating his own strategy, ya cisco will take him to court but itll be months even a year before anything is settled...i give it by the time the phone is approve by FCC that the name will be changed to ApplePhone, AND features on the phone will be added like crazy compared to what he showed us on keynote...

like the speculation that apps wont be allowed by 3rd party dev on the phone..BS i think this will change by launch date..and the back of the phone, looks very unready, i think that will change somehow...

i beleive in this because..well why show it off 6 months early? maybe to take ideas from people on what should change to make a perfect phone, and then built even more on top of that in future years...i beleive so, like i have said in other threads...dont be shocked if you hear Job's on this very forum looking for our cool ideas..so lets give it to him haha
  • Reply 22 of 28
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

If they were defending their trademark shouldn't Cisco had spoken up a long time ago?

What are you talking about? Who would they sue? What would be the grounds for the lawsuit?

Apple announces the product and, within days, Cisco sues.

The only thing amiss here is the predictable Apple zealotry.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    all analyst demanded an Apple iPhone...

but iPhone is mucho more then just a mobile.. more a Newton II ...

sooo, let's do the PR-stunt, get worldwide attention, then "penitent crawl" back, accept Cisco's rights on name, give device REAL name ...

< conspiracy mode off >

• Reply 24 of 28
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Apple pays Cisco off.

Most likely.

Quote:

Apple buys Cisco.

Cisco's market cap. is $174 billions, Apple's is $82 billions.

Quote:

Apple changes the name of the iPhone (it was this in the popular mind before the announcement; iTV had to change its name).

That's what Apple should have begun with. If they were bold enough to announce it as ApplePhone, the whole problem would not exist at all and in a month nobody would remember about any iPhone.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

What are you talking about? Who would they sue? What would be the grounds for the lawsuit?

Oh, I don't know; Wu, Time Mag., NY Times, AppleInsider. There were an awful lot of published reports using the term iPhone. And they were not talking about Cisco. If Cisco intended to protect their trademark they needed to object anytime someone used their trademark to refer to something other than their product. Or at least acknowledging that this was a trademark owned by Cisco. Cisco did not do this. They let two plus years go by letting the public misused the iPhone trademark to refer to the Apple cell phone. My question is how long can the public misuse a trademark before it goes into the public domain.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k_munic View Post

all analyst demanded an Apple iPhone...

but iPhone is mucho more then just a mobile.. more a Newton II ...

sooo, let's do the PR-stunt, get worldwide attention, then "penitent crawl" back, accept Cisco's rights on name, give device REAL name ...

< conspiracy mode off >

I don't think this is such a kooky idea. At this point, in the four months until its June release, "iPhone" (the Apple one) will establish itself on everybody's tongue, and if Apple is forced to switch the name, everyone will call IT the iPhone and Cisco will wish they had conceded from the beginning because their "iPhone" will be laughable. Imagine it: someone asks for the iPhone for Christmas, and gets the Cisco one...? No way.

In other words, Apple's silence will remain just long enough that iPhone becomes acculturated and when they switch, it would be the same as if they suddenly switched the name of the iPod to "Apple Music Player" - technically the name would be different, but people would still call it what it is.

iPhone is here to stay.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    More up to date iinfor on the suit:

http://news.com.com/Cisco+sues+Apple...3-6149285.html
  • Reply 28 of 28
    My guess is that Apple will change the name to either Apple Phone, iTalk or iCom (yeah, I know the names a kind of hokey but this avoids the issue with Cisco Systems).