Beatles coming to iTMS?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
This is certainly worth a thread.

Steve chose several Beatles songs during the keynote, and cover art showed up on the iPhone.

Are the Beatles coming to iTMS? If so, will you buy?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

This is certainly worth a thread.

Steve chose several Beatles songs during the keynote, and cover art showed up on the iPhone.

Are the Beatles coming to iTMS? If so, will you buy?

I've already got all the Beatles I want on CD, but, given the above, plus the announcement that Apple Computer is now just plain Apple, the signs are very, very strong that Apple has worked out its differences with Apple Music. I expect that Beatles on iTunes is not far off, and the only reason we didn't hear about it during the keynote is because Apple would probably like to space out some of their announcements -- anything else Apple could have announced yesterday would have been overshadowed by Apple TV and the iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    I noticed that but of course, the tunes could have been taken from a CD. Maybe Apple is trying to win favour with Apple corp. I really wish companies wouldn't fight so much about these things. I'm sure Apple corp can benefit from the link.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I noticed that but of course, the tunes could have been taken from a CD

Not likely. Licensing legalities state that songs from CDs cannot be played publicly for commercial use, which is certainly what a Macworld Keynote would be defined as.

It is equally unlikely that SJ paid performance copyrights to use those songs at the Keynote, without having a iTunes deal pending ith Apple Corp.

I assume they finalized a deal, and it will be announced shortly.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Actually I think that the fact that Apple dropped the "Computer" from its name is the give away a deal has been struck. I expect to see an announcement soon.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I'd also expect a special iPod, similar to the U2 version. But aimed at the older Baby Boomer crowd?possibly with hearing aids built in.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave View Post

Actually I think that the fact that Apple dropped the "Computer" from its name is the give away a deal has been struck. I expect to see an announcement soon.

I was thinking about that too. Maybe Apple Inc. has bought Apple Corps? .
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Someone responded to a similar question on the Google Finace Board:

"Oddly enough the Beatles Apple deal is tied up because of the McCartney

divorce. She gets a % of what Paul is worth at settlement. Her lawyers

know that net worth soars when iTunes offers Beatles. Screwy but true.

The rest of the Apple Corp gang have wanted to offer digital music

downloads for more than 12 months. "
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Fortune reports that Apple may be close to bringing the Beatles music catalog online exclusively through iTunes.

Other music stores such as MSN and Rhapsody have reportedly courted the Beatles over the years, but with little success. However, David Munns, head of EMI North America, was recently cited as saying that the Beatles would be available online "soon".

The details of the deal are still being worked out, according to the article:

As Fortune went to press, numerous deal points were still being hammered out. According to a music industry executive apprised of the talks, the parties were discussing how lengthy a window of exclusivity iTunes might get and how many tens of millions of dollars Jobs - who is said to be personally involved in the discussions - will commit to an advance for the band and marketing costs.

If a deal is established, this would be interesting conclusion to a history of legal disputes between Apple Computer and Apple Corps (Beatles company). The most recent outcome favored Apple Computer's use of the Apple logo in association with the iTunes store.

from http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/...27103829.shtml
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Yea I noticed that too. I always thought it was a shame that iTunes didnt have any beatles since they were such a revolutionary group. it'd be nice to finally see some.

now all we need is some led zeppelin.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave View Post

I agree, the signs point towards a deal, but not for this reason. If anything, I would think dropping the "Computer" would add fuel to the fire of Apple Corps' complaint. It's that much easier to confuse the public with Apple Inc. and Apple Corps. Lawsuits aside however it's a wise move.

Between "Apple Inc." and "iPhone," maybe we need DRM at the copyright office.