Is this the look of Leopard??

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF View Post

I seem to remember Steve mentioning that the iPhone uses Core Animation, which, if I'm not mistaken, is new to Leopard.

Yep, I noticed that too (it even was on a slide or two), so I guess what we saw was indeed Leopard lite. Very nice! Can't wait for the iPhone to make it to Olde Europe.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by octane View Post

it's so true

haha ya if i wasnt mistaken vista was the copier of the leopard....thats why jobs planted 200+ patents on this phone, so people like microsoft wouldnt steal ideas like they did on OS X....vista is a complete mock up of the os x thats been out for a couple years now...how embarrassing for microsoft they have to copy everything now

i mean cmon windows now has "gadgets" instead of widgets, and a porcelain chess board instead of grass, and the spotlight search bar is on the bottom left instead of top right...and who had all these ideas first? apple..so dont ever say it looks like microsoft ill hang you like saddam
  • Reply 23 of 40
    oh and yes im almost 100% thats the iphone will come with leopard, and yes jobs' did say there will be core animation on the phone its a full version of os x so i think itll be the new leopard..why not its the new OS...
  • Reply 24 of 40
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

ill hang you like saddam

• Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

how embarrassing for microsoft they have to copy everything now

now?????
  • Reply 26 of 40
    haha ya theyve been doin that for a while...highly doubt internet came from gates either
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

haha ya theyve been doin that for a while...highly doubt internet came from gates either

Of course not... Al Gore made it!

[/sarcasm]
  • Reply 28 of 40
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matracer View Post

Looking at the iPhone interface just got me wondering. What do you guys think?

I don't know if this is going to be the actual GUI for Leopard. The color scheme looks a lot like vista.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I don't know if this is going to be the actual GUI for Leopard. The color scheme looks a lot like vista.

The color scheme could change quite a bit in 5 months though.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

Just thinking about Microsoft and Zune; I bet someone is banging their head repeatedly on a wall

This makes zune look like a cheap christmas cracker toy.

It's ridicu-stupid that Zune is incompatible with Vista.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinJosh View Post

It's ridicu-stupid that Zune is incompatible with Vista.

This no longer is true. You can get your update from MS. also, Vista isn't released to consumers yet anyway.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:

haha ya if i wasnt mistaken vista was the copier of the leopard....thats why jobs planted 200+ patents on this phone, so people like microsoft wouldnt steal ideas like they did on OS X....vista is a complete mock up of the os x thats been out for a couple years now...how embarrassing for microsoft they have to copy everything now

i mean cmon windows now has "gadgets" instead of widgets, and a porcelain chess board instead of grass, and the spotlight search bar is on the bottom left instead of top right...and who had all these ideas first? apple..so dont ever say it looks like microsoft ill hang you like saddam

You had me backward, I was agreeing with dstranathan, microshaft totally ripped their crap from OS X
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

This no longer is true. You can get your update from MS. also, Vista isn't released to consumers yet anyway.

Young marklar, your marklars are wise and true...
  • Reply 34 of 40
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Looking at the iPhone interface just got me wondering. What do you guys think?

It seems that many of the responses to the OP are mistakenly conflating the appearance of iPhone's OSX with the appearence of the computer version of OSX.

No matter whether iPhone is running Leopard or not, it will certainly look and behave differently than the desktop version of OS X. The difference in screen size and input methodology should guarantee that the two look and feel different. While both are obviously apple products and will exude shear appleness, the desktop version of leopard and the iPhone version of leopard are two different things.

It doesn't matter if iPhone is running leopard or not when discussing the possible look of leopard. It provides the same hints to possible leopard looks even if it is running a bastardized version of 10.4. If we were to discover tomorrow that iPhone is running either 10.4 or 10.5, it would still have no bearing on whether Leopard for macs will look like the iPhone interface.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

It seems that many of the responses to the OP are mistakenly conflating the appearance of iPhone's OSX with the appearence of the computer version of OSX.

No matter whether iPhone is running Leopard or not, it will certainly look and behave differently than the desktop version of OS X. The difference in screen size and input methodology should guarantee that the two look and feel different. While both are obviously apple products and will exude shear appleness, the desktop version of leopard and the iPhone version of leopard are two different things.

It doesn't matter if iPhone is running leopard or not when discussing the possible look of leopard. It provides the same hints to possible leopard looks even if it is running a bastardized version of 10.4. If we were to discover tomorrow that iPhone is running either 10.4 or 10.5, it would still have no bearing on whether Leopard for macs will look like the iPhone interface.

dfiler speaks the truth. The input and output differences between a desktop/laptop computer and a phone/iPod guarantees that:

a) the interfaces will be different (the color schemes could be the same but the underlying rules will assuredly differ)

b) the OS on iPhone is not a full blown OS X

Steve said that the iPhone was running OS X but this is only half-truth.

The iPhone runs on an ARM chip...the parts that were needed to create the iPhone interface (CoreAnimation (for the fancy 2D animations), WebKit (for Safari, Mail, Widgets), probably some network code, etc. had to be ported. There's a lot of pieces missing for the iPhone OS to actually be considered OS X and with good reasons...you wouldn't want to port everything since a lot of OS X technologies only apply to desktop computers. And some things that might be worth porting haven't been ported yet...namely QuickTime, the JavaScript engine that normally accompanies WebKit, Flash.

Don't be fooled by the Steve's marketing, folks. Steve is trying to get people to switch to OS X. If he says the iPhone is running OS X and people love the iPhone interface, their next computer will be a Mac. In fact, the iPhone was so highly publicized by media in the last couple days that a lot of PC users might actually think what they saw is OS X and affect their decision if they're buying a new computer soon. Hell, Steve even fooled some of you long time Mac users.

If Steve said to everyone the Apple II was a Mac...would you all believe him? No. It's the same thing here...the OS on the iPhone is way too different to be considered OS X. Call it OS X Mobile if you want though.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Just following on to the two posts above, just what about the iPhone interface would be "the look of Leopard"?

Widgets look like widgets, and that's the bulk of the thing right there. I guess that dashboard might get a tweak to match up with the iPhone. If we're talking about navigation, hard to see how the UI of Leopard is affected much one way or the other by gestural touch screen input.

That leaves, what, color scheme? Sure, maybe. But I don't see a single thing on the iPhone that would have any bearing on the "look" of, say, mail or the finder or the desktop environment or iTunes or anything else.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Hmmm I see what you guys are saying, but I was looking at it from a style point of view.

Core animation is going to be used in Leopard for Time Machine and Spaces for sure and most likely screensavers. Looking at the iPhone it appears to use a lot of fancy flips, zooms and general image manipulation. If all thats in the phone why not in Leopard cant see core animation being created for just 2 or 3 features I suspect it may be used throughout the ui. Imagine a rewrite of Expose in core animation!! or the Genie effect, icons, buttons etc I think they will blow vista away.

Also multi touch. Why keep it just for the iPhone. I can imagine new Macbooks coming out with the Multitouch features on the trackpad. A little flick of the trackpad and the new finder scrolls according to velocity, plus the rubberband effect at the end. Click on a jpg and use the pinch motion to zoom out or the spread motion to zoom in. Total coolness and if its patented; Microsoft cant copy it.

If we look back in history I bet there were people saying I can't see any features of the Newton being implemented in the Mac OS and look what happen in 2001 ...the dock was carried over complete with apps vanishing in a puff of smoke. When you think about it isnt the iPhone; the new Newton.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Hmmm I see what you guys are saying, but I was looking at it from a style point of view.

Core animation is going to be used in Leopard for Time Machine and Spaces for sure and most likely screensavers. Looking at the iPhone it appears to use a lot of fancy flips, zooms and general image manipulation. If all thats in the phone why not in Leopard cant see core animation being created for just 2 or 3 features I suspect it may be used throughout the ui. Imagine a rewrite of Expose in core animation!! or the Genie effect, icons, buttons etc I think they will blow vista away.

Also multi touch. Why keep it just for the iPhone. I can imagine new Macbooks coming out with the Multitouch features on the trackpad. A little flick of the trackpad and the new finder scrolls according to velocity, plus the rubberband effect at the end. Click on a jpg and use the pinch motion to zoom out or the spread motion to zoom in. Total coolness and if its patented; Microsoft cant copy it.

If we look back in history I bet there were people saying I can't see any features of the Newton being implemented in the Mac OS and look what happen in 2001 ...the dock was carried over complete with apps vanishing in a puff of smoke. When you think about it isnt the iPhone; the new Newton.

Now multi-touch gestural input on the trackpad would be totally hot. In fact, now that you mention it, I can't imagine that it isn't in the works. It would be an amazing differentiator for the platform, and, properly implemented, would surely drive laptop sales even higher.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    I really hope not, I think they should just keep aqua.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    There's a hell of lot of interesting clues in the iPhone UI, and a bunch of things that lend credence to the "Illumnious" UI rumor (i.e., a Mac OS X UI refresh that uses light and shadow as its thematic elements)

- The "slide to unlock" button that uses a shimmer of light animation (I could easily see this being the new default button state to replace the Aqua pulse)

- glossy black buttons that respond with an intense white glow when pressed

- tasteful and effective use of CoreAnimation everywhere.

Some other interesting notes that may only relate to the iPhone, and its space-constrained, highly focused UI -- or may be signals of something new:

- a look that takes many cues from Dashboard widget design

- Glossy dark toolbars that are gray on black when inactive and use a glossy blue to indicate active state

- Increased use of black to highlight contrast (it's hard not to notice that Apple is moving away from white to black plastics and metal)

All this stuff is just the surface look, though. (Not unimportant but there can be so much more.) I'm feeling increasingly certain that the UI for Leopard won't just be a "new theme", but have some truly significant changes.