Apple exists outside America - does it?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Let us have our moans we just want what you've got.

The iphone does look great but I am not convinced everyone will rush out and get one here. The price will be pretty high. If it is 3g it still is covered in all areas and the connection isn't always great when surfing the net.

It will be interesting to see what apple does with it's other ipods. They could just give us a ipod that looks like the phone but you know they won't want to do that and take attention away from the iphone.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rageous View Post

That's right, they could launch it all at once. But if that were the case, the movie store would still be a dream and the music store would have opened months later than it did.

You clearly are completely oblivious as to how huge of a pain in the ass it is to launch products in overseas markets. Apple can't just do anything on their timetable. They are at the mercy of governments and also in the case of the mobile phone they need to hook up with carriers. This is not something easily accomplished over night, over a month, or even over a year.

Well despite what people say, I am not oblivious to the pains of selling internationally. Why can't Apple just set up a plc in the UK to handle these sorts of operations? (I know I'm biased towards the UK). How comes other international companies can do things at the same time all over the world? How comes companies based in the UK can do it? Apple could set up a separate entity over here to handle distribution, legalities, etc. Although it might not eliminate the wait, surely it would cut it down significantly?

BTW, I know Apple is set up in the UK as a plc (LSE: ACP) but that just seems to be for its retail stores.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    how bout this: Because It's An American Company ...For America...
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

How comes other international companies can do things at the same time all over the world? How comes companies based in the UK can do it?

So lets see some of those examples of a company launching a service worldwide at once. And one that depends on 3rd party licensing, and has to navigate regional regulations. Its not like a clothing store releasing a new line of clothes people.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave View Post

So lets see some of those examples of a company launching a service worldwide at once. And one that depends on 3rd party licensing and has to navigate regional regulations. Its not like a clothing store releasing a new line clothes people.

OK, OK, let?s everyone calm down now. It?s not wrong to want what you guys have, and I realise that:

(a) it's not a priority for Apple;

(b) I understand the bureaucracy and paperwork, etc. involved;

(c) I still want an iPhone;

(d) and I want one now.

OK? OK.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

OK, OK, let’s everyone calm down now. It’s not wrong to want what you guys have, and I realise that:

(a) it's not a priority for Apple;

(b) I understand the bureaucracy and paperwork, etc. involved;

(c) I still want an iPhone;

(d) and I want one now.

OK? OK.

OK Fair enough...

I want one too.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    How is the iphone gonna work in japan!?! they don't have GSM. My guess is 3G is comming.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple doesn't exist outside America, or the UK.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by New View Post

How is the iphone gonna work in japan!?! they don't have GSM. My guess is 3G is comming.

Dunno, but I just got back from one of my favorite haunts (the electronics store across town) and they were already answering questions about the iPhone - in southern Kyushu in a small city where most people have never seen an actual Mac. The sales rep already has the scoop that the phone is coming next year and that SoftBank will probably have the rights to it.

The iPhone is coming to Japan. Yippie! I will buy three so I can conference call between me, myself, and I.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Jobs said in the keynote that more cool stuff will come to the iPhone. He explicitly said 3G (and it was on a slide, i think), but it will take some time. This might explain why it is sold in the US first, and later in Asia.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    im living in switzerland. apple products are quite popular here, but who knows how and when the iphone will be released here.

the local major operator, swisscom, is a bit of a mess when it comes to releasing new phones.

in all honesty, i agree with the first poster... macworld was disappointing because the iphone is so far away, and appletv really is pointless SO FAR. that might change in 2007. great. maybe it does. but what doesnt change is that macworld doesnt offer us europeans anything exciting immediately or in the short term. no doubt, quite a few of our american cousins feel the same way.... after all, appletv isnt exactly a revolution is it? i have been streaming stuff to my high definition projector wirelessly for more than a year from my xbox360... and although im most definitely not a microsoft fan (i compute on mac, i enjoy music on ipods), i have to at least give them credit that they made a good effort to release the xbox360 worldwide at the same time (well, a 1 week delay but thats nothing).

i was having a pretty shitty day when the iphone was released. my heart soarded when i heard about it. my brain almost exploded when i saw what it looked like and what it could do. i was pretty much as happy as it is possible for me to get. but then when i heard i had to wait a year or so (and which could be more to be honest)... it was one hell of a comedown... what a rollercoaster mood day. i would happily have taken anti depressants should they have been close at hand.

honestly speaking, i wish apple had held back with the announcement until a special event in june, whereby you could then immediately order the iphone in the states, and have at least a definite release date in europe. then release some other cool products to tide us over untlil then.

krlock
  • Reply 32 of 35
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Macworld wasn't a bust at all. Sure, it sucks that the iPhone is going to be released later, but I think people are more stunned by the implications of the tech incorporated into the iPhone.

Touchscreen iPods are coming. No doubt about it. THis will again launch Apple YEARS ahead in the mp3 player race. It also signifies the possibility of slimmed down iMacs that can quickly come off their mount and be carried around like tablets. I have never been a fan of the tablet idea until I saw what the iPhone can do.

There are HUGE implications brought forth by the unveiling of the iPhone that extend far beyond this one product for Apple. That is the bigger story here.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    rageous, i think you miss the point which was not, "was macworld a bust".

of course, we would all like to have our iphones on order NOW and be bitching about delivery times and tracking numbers instead. this is just such good looking tech that many of us really wish we didnt have to wait so long for it. that is nothing to do with macworld being a bust.

i couldnt agree with you more about the tablet idea.. exactly what i thought "until i saw what the iphone can do". the implications are pretty stunning. this is a game changer... a forward gap move.....

but we want our iphones now!!!! : )
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krlock View Post

honestly speaking, i wish apple had held back with the announcement until a special event in june, whereby you could then immediately order the iphone in the states, and have at least a definite release date in europe. then release some other cool products to tide us over untlil then.

krlock

The only problem with waiting until June is that in order to get FCC approval they must file publicly whereby they would not have been able to showcase the iPhone and all its amazing features like Steve wanted to.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by costique View Post

Whaaaa? There is a world outside America? You all are kidding, right? You might as well claim there is life on Mars.

Comments like these make it embarrassing to be an American.