2mp Camera

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I noticed the camera wasnt mentioned much except to say it has one.

I know imaging with the camera isnt the main point of this phone but how good do you think it will be considering the absense of autofocus and a flash? Theres nothing wrong with a fixed focus cam but it would be nice to see some sample pics.

Also will it be capable of shooting video. If it cant I think thats abig downer indeed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    well... video on mobile phones already sks... but im pretty sure it will support video... but if it doesnt it doesnt bother me. and 2mp pretty decent for a phone... ive seen some pics taken on a 2mp phone (the enV) and the quality isnt all that bad.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Yes but there are differnt levels of quality ranging from poor phones such as Motorola to Nokia all the way to Sony Ericsson.

So im interestd to see how good./or bad the pics are.

Also it has to be able to record videos. Any phone that comes out that cant do that deserves a smack.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Is no one else interested in what the camera quality is like on it?

Can this phone even take video recording?
  • Reply 4 of 42
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    David Pogue asked Apple about the camera and reports video recording is a possibility.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    a possibility, so even though it was not on the version shown the other day, there will still be some extra features perhaps added before release?

Is that what your saying?
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Since it isn't yet shipping anything can be changed.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Just out of curiosity, who shoots video on their cell phone? And why? To send clips to friends? Which I think would run up data costs pretty quick.

I'm just wondering if some of the things people are wanting on the iPhone are actually useful or if it's just a matter of "other phones have it".
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Also, why do I care what the quality of the camera is? A camera with a tiny, fixed focal length lens is never going to be great, to me a camera on a cell phone is good for contact mug shots and the odd "hey look at this" sort of snap or possibly emergency field documentation type stuff.

Going from mediocre to slightly less mediocre doesn't seem like a high priority for a phone.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Quote:

Is no one else interested in what the camera quality is like on it?

Sorry - mediocre is the only way to describe it.

When I want a decent camera, I always turn to a superior film-based camera. A camera on a mobile phone is fine for frivolous activity: in England, kids use it for 'happy-slapping' (a term used to video or photograph a complete stranger being attacked and crippled by gangs of 10+ youths).

Digital cameras are great convenience consumer tools, but at 2MP, it's a real joke. A decent full sized sensor capable of 22MP is a bare minimum. And at the end of the day, it's still disabled by dint of being a digital capture medium.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Sorry - mediocre is the only way to describe it.

When I want a decent camera, I always turn to a superior film-based camera. A camera on a mobile phone is fine for frivolous activity: in England, kids use it for 'happy-slapping' (a term used to video or photograph a complete stranger being attacked and crippled by gangs of 10+ youths).

Digital cameras are great convenience consumer tools, but at 2MP, it's a real joke. A decent full sized sensor capable of 22MP is a bare minimum. And at the end of the day, it's still disabled by dint of being a digital capture medium.

I'd love it if one of the "happy" slappers got run over by a car... "Quck, post it to YouTube, Ronnie!"
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:

I'd love it if one of the "happy" slappers got run over by a car... "Quck, post it to YouTube, Ronnie!"

Surely, there must be another way to "re-form" a happy slapper, other than getting a car to make mincemeat of him?
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:

Come on now. You are comparing three different things that have little to do with each other.

-There is no way to load film into a phone.

-There is no way to place 22MP sensor on a phone.

-The camera phone is just for fun. Not at all intended for serious photography.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Read the poster's question again:

he wants to know why no one has bothered to talk about the camera's quality. A camera is a camera: that's what unifies a 2mp supposed-to-be-camera and a 22MP camera and a film camera.

No one's disputing that the 2MP camera was intended for happy-slappers. Far from it.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:

he wants to know why no one has bothered to talk about the camera's quality. A camera is a camera: that's what unifies a 2mp supposed-to-be-camera and a 22MP camera and a film camera.

I'm sure they were talking about in comparison to the quality of other camera phones not a $10,000 medium format DSLR.

There is no purpose in comparing digital and photochemical in relation to a camera phone.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Yes the happy slapper craze seems to have died now thankfully. It got to the point where people were filmed being shot and raped. It was all quite stupid really and from a very exact age group.

Anyway back to topic and yes your all completly right its only good for frivalous shooting ect......but it seems strange that no one ues phones to take video in the USA that much. Its not big big over here but its a nice feature to have. Im just saying it would have been nice for apple to maybe have had it 3.2 mp with autofocus.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

there is already a video taken from a phone on TV in the UK that shows a bunch of kids messing around on the foot path, just being kids..[NOT HAPPY SLAPPING] one of them wanders out into the road and gets hit VERY hard by a car.... the video ends.. the quality is poor, but the point is made. be VERY careful when your near traffic!

suggesting that running over a "happy slapper" is a good idea is like saying "two wrongs DO make a right"

i take it you dont have kids of your own?
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Yes the happy slapper craze seems to have died now thankfully. It got to the point where people were filmed being shot and raped. It was all quite stupid really and from a very exact age group.

Anyway back to topic and yes your all completly right its only good for frivalous shooting ect......but it seems strange that no one ues phones to take video in the USA that much. Its not big big over here but its a nice feature to have. Im just saying it would have been nice for apple to maybe have had it 3.2 mp with autofocus.

isnt there a film festival...held in france i think? not sure where... but ALL the films in the festival were made using ONLY mobile phones video capabilities

so people ARE using the potential of camera phones
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Apple have been using isights for years now and a lot of the basic VGA ones are of similar size to the one on the iphone, yet produces better pictures then some 3MP cameras ive seen on phones.

Also, you can record high quailty videos through it aswell, so I dont really know why they wouldleave it out.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

isnt there a film festival...held in france i think? not sure where... but ALL the films in the festival were made using ONLY mobile phones video capabilities

so people ARE using the potential of camera phones

I don't think that really speaks to the utility of vid phones. More like, "Hey, you've got these things, why not try to do something with them?" As opposed to "Gosh, people seem to be making short films with their phones, perhaps we should put on a festival".
  • Reply 20 of 42
    You lot are going of topic. Im surprised its not a bigger phenomenon in the USA. Which can probabaly be said for telecomms in usa aswell. I guess this is the reason that the euro iphone will get 3g.