Unofficial Mac tablet draws record crowd at Macworld (high-res photos)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Axiotron, Inc., together with distribution partner Other World Computing, is drawing huge crowds at the Macworld Expo in San Francisco this week, as attendees flock to take its new Mac OS X-based "ModBook" tablet computer for a test run.

Unveiled on Tuesday, the $2,279 device is an after-market hardware modification to Apple's MacBook notebook line. The companies claim it's the "first ever Mac OS X tablet computer solution."

Each ModBook starts off as a MacBook Core 2 Duo but undergoes a surgical operation where its original display and keyboard are severed, then replaced with a new 13.3-inch Wacom pen enabled widescreen display set in a chrome-plated magnesium top shell.

The device runs the current version of Mac OS X and utilizes that software's built-in Inkwell handwriting recognition. Meanwhile, the tablet retains all of the hardware features of the current Apple MacBook line, such as a 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, an integrated*camera and CD/DVD combo drive.

While the ModBook utilizes the original MacBook iSight camera, it has been slightly tilted downwards to allow video conference applications like iChat to better frame the face of the user.

Axiotron says the ModBook features the same Wacom*Penabled*hardware technology that has made Wacom pen tablets and interactive pen displays the preferred choice amongst professional artists and photographers. The technology requires no batteries and allows the Mac OS X cursor to be controlled in a mouse-like interface, even if the user's hand is resting on the screen.

A pre-production ModBook rests on a podium at the OWC's booth during Macworld 2007.

ModBook is also being coined as the only portable Mac solution to feature an optional built-in Global Positioning System (GPS). The Axiotron ModBook GPS Module was developed in cooperation with GlobalSat Technologies Corporation utilizing the industry leading SiRFstar III chipset for shorter first location fix times and improved tracking capabilities.

At the Macworld Expo on Tuesday, the public unveiling of the ModBook drew a crowd of hundreds, completely encircling Other World Computing's display booth. It is believed to be the largest Macworld exhibitor draw for a non Apple, Inc. announcement, according to the reseller. On Thursday, the tablet device was awarded "Macworld Best of Show" honors.

"Macworld is known for being the stage for the very best Mac technology advances," said Larry O'Connor, CEO of Other World Computing. "The long awaited Tablet Mac solution is here - and exclusively from Other World Computing."

Each ModBook runs Mac OS X featuring built-in Inkwell handwriting recognition.

The base configuration ModBook fetches $2,279 and includes a 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo Apple MacBook with full ModBook tablet conversion and a one-year Other World Computing warranty. Additional configurations include such options as: an Axiotron ModBook GPS Module, 2 year warranty extension plans, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, up to 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, up to 160GB (5400-RPM) or 200GB (4200-RPM) hard drive, 6x or 8x DVD±RW and CD-RW slot-load combo drive.

Other World Computing is accepting pre-orders for the ModBook in the US and Canada through an exclusive partnership arrangement with Axiotron. Customers can place orders at Other World Computing's website or via the reseller's booth at the Macworld Expo.

During Macworld and until January 31st, Other World Computing is offering the complete ModBook base configuration plus the built-in Axiotron GPS Module at a Special Introductory Price of $2,199.

Availability is set for April.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    Looks pretty nice but prohibitively expensive....
  • Reply 2 of 104
    Shrink that so it's about half the size, add pinch-technology as in the patent disclosure Apple has... add speaker-phone capabilities for voip and open development, and I'm so there!!

[forget the iPhone... we all want the New iNewton with inkwell!!]

Has it really gotten so bad at Apple that other people are making this to feed the market that desires this product?!
  • Reply 3 of 104
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Damn man, I love it, but it's slate style only . If I could flip it into a regular laptop that would be my next computer. No questions asked. But slate only just doesn't work for me. I hope Apple decides to answer.
  • Reply 4 of 104
    Is there a USB port? could you use the normal keyboard drivers when you get home?
  • Reply 5 of 104
    Very interesting... yeah, tooo expensive for me to buy in, but with the attention it's getting, maybe, just maybe, Apple... (shh, I didn't say anything).
  • Reply 6 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a11en View Post

Is there a USB port? could you use the normal keyboard drivers when you get home?

The main body of the MacBook seems relatively in-tact and you can see the USB port in one of the photos.
  • Reply 7 of 104
    I wonder if Cisco will find a way to ride these coattails too...
  • Reply 8 of 104
  • Reply 9 of 104
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    This is the future. Sadly apple got beat to the punch this time.
  • Reply 10 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AquaMac View Post

This is the future. Sadly apple got beat to the punch this time.

SOF in Iraq will be getting 10 of these for a special test.
  • Reply 11 of 104
    Hmm ... (I like it!)

An addition $1000 to have someone else incorporate a custom fitted Wacom Cintiq graphics tablet with a MacBook? I say fair price.

If you're an animator or artist of any kind, this is sure to be the tool of choice because, like the Cintiq, you can draw directly on your artwork.

And being a tablet you can take your art project with you to draw on the porch, the coffee shop, or paint that outdoor scene on an easel in the park, just like we used to with a box of paints and a canvas. You can't do that quite so easily with a Cintig plugged to a separate computer.

For the right tool for the job, it's worth it!
  • Reply 12 of 104
    If it weren't for the iPhone, this could have been the coolest thing to come out of MWSF 2007. It is indeed a boutique product for a true niche market, but boy has it got some interest including from the "needs missing feature X" lot like me. There's something so right about OS X, WACOM, Inkwell and toting it about in a sleek Mac form factor. Well, perhaps sleek isn't the right word to use for a 13" slate which can play 1080p and churn Photoshop filters faster than many a Power Mac, so long as you're using CS3. But compared to some of the crud out there right now, Axiotron and OWC have done a pretty slick job with their Frankenmac right here.

For Apple to take interest and start thinking about a tablet Mac, we'll need to see the following:
    • This thing sells as fast as they can make them

• New models are brought out, think 100% alubook style enclosure MacBook Pro version

• Mac resellers join in the act and begin stocking ModBooks

• Another 3rd party outfit joins in for competition since the worm is biting

• Steve fancies trying some crow pie!

Apple have all the technologies today to make the sweetest damned tablet ever seen by human eyes. But they need convincing that there's a market to justify the expense, and that a Mac is what tablet people want. The guys behind this have my thanks for putting this into motion. I wish them well. But I can't buy their tablet alas, as I'm in the wrong continent and couldn't justify the $$$$. But time will tell. I surely want something quite like it. Now if only they can throw in gestures and a finger based onscreen keyboard to work alongside that WACOM tablet. Screw cellphones indeed.
  • Reply 13 of 104
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    When you take all the attention of the ModBook, and then combine it with our knowledge of Apple's new version of OS X that uses multi-touch-sensitive screens, it seems hard to believe that Apple is going to let ModBook have all the fun.

The only reason I will not be buying a ModBook is the lack of a keyboard. I want a swivelable touch-screen to get dual functionality out my notebook.

I'm impressed with the Apple-like attention to certain details. Like the tilted iSight camera. If I were to speculate, I'd say even Jobs likes the ModBook design; of course, not without saying that he knows he could do it better... and I hope he tries.
  • Reply 14 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If I were to speculate, I'd say even Jobs likes the ModBook design; of course, not without saying that he knows he could do it better... and I hope he tries.

That's fightin' talk!

I bet he'd take issue with the weight of the thing on picking it up for starters. A slate carries very different expectations than a laptop. You want something like a sketchpad in bulk, rather than a weighty hardback. In a Steve certified slate Mac, I reckon the optical drive and the 2.5 incher HD would be first to go. Flash is quickly making itself felt in everything Apple does, throw in a totally new mobo design and ULV Intel processor, and you're going places. As it is, I get the feeling that for all its genuine kudos, this ModBook has a certain Brick-like feeling in practical use.
  • Reply 15 of 104
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Quote:

Unveiled on Tuesday, the $2,279 device is an after-market hardware modification to Apple's MacBook notebook line. The companies claim it's the "first ever Mac OS X tablet computer solution."

So does this mean you buy a macbook then spend an additional $2279? I seems particularly expensive considering the Wacom Cintiq is only $300 selling for around $2,524.99!
  • Reply 16 of 104
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    This is cool! It is also a testement to Apple's ability to design and miniaturize so well that their products can be modularized and can hold up to remanufacturing. I don't see why Apple wouldn't sell them half-made chassis with all of the goodies (+ a healthy profit) so that they can drop a few more hundred dollars on the deal and get the price closer to $1800.

Then of course Apple should be able to do the same all on their own. It's not like they have to put a tremendous amount of R&D into the thing!!! iPhone tech in a tablet form with full OSX. How could they lose money?!?!?!?
  • Reply 17 of 104
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When you take all the attention of the ModBook, and then combine it with our knowledge of Apple's new version of OS X that uses multi-touch-sensitive screens, it seems hard to believe that Apple is going to let ModBook have all the fun.

The only reason I will not be buying a ModBook is the lack of a keyboard. I want a swivelable touch-screen to get dual functionality out my notebook.

Doesn't it make more sense for Apple to make a wireless multi-touch tablet that is very thin and only needs to communicate to a MacBook Pro or Mac Pro that is sitting in the other room or in your office out of the way? Won't the next step for Airport Extreme make this the easier option?
  • Reply 18 of 104
    I think if this was a viable market for Apple to get into they would have already. There are lots of tablets out there.
  • Reply 19 of 104
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Well, the only bad thing that I'm unclear about on this, is that it doesn't look like you can rotate the screen from landscape to portrait. Usually tablets are designed to be held in portrait mode with one arm while you're moving with them. At least I haven't seen a picture of this yet with the screen rotated.

Now, what I really want is the iPhone variant of OS X running on a tablet. Preferably smaller than this, an 8" or 10" screen (though I'd take the 13" if given no choice), and I doubt this supports multi-touch input and we'd need that.

Come on Apple, give us a slick multi-touch gesture tablet while everyone is waiting for the iPhone to go through FCC licensing.

Still, I'm impressed with this ModBook. I'm sure they will sell quite a few of them. Their timing couldn't have been better, a Macworld Expo where Apple failed to announce any new Macs.
  • Reply 20 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think if this was a viable market for Apple to get into they would have already. There are lots of tablets out there.

tablets ain't all that. Bought one, sold it. screen resolution caused poor writing resolution, and couldn't keep track of pages. Oh, yeah, and XP. TEH SUKD.