Updated monitors didn't happen: any speculation on that?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was hoping to see some updates to the mini (C2D), airport express (N and gigabit ports), monitors (built-in iSight). I was ready to purchase all three but it seems no monitor updates. I need a 23" but want to wait until I see how they are going to go on the i-Sight.

I am guessing we will have some answers in a week on some hardware but monitors may wait until February before being upgraded to coincide with Apple TV? Then Apple Inc. is in the TV business but I am not sure the i-Sight would come with the monitors then.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Im in the same boat dude, I was so ready to order a 1920x1200 display... a bit dissappointed really & hope some information surfaces in the next few weeks...

All I need is a few more USB ports!

HDMI, iSights & IR would be sweet too

touch sensetive would be pretty cool too - do away with the mouse!
  • Reply 2 of 42
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Dell released some nice (cheap) monitors at CES, according to engadget.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Did no one see the black cinema displays in the AirPort diagrams? Look at the MacPro set up on the left. Either they're wearing a new darker hue, or that current alloy casing has some really weird lighting on it!
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brocklander View Post

Did no one see the black cinema displays in the AirPort diagrams? Look at the MacPro set up on the left. Either they're wearing a new darker hue, or that current alloy casing has some really weird lighting on it!

Looks like shadow to me, aka weird lighting.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear Friends

When was Apple's 30" display last updated? I seem to recall a relatively unpublicized update featuring better internals (no changes externally) that happened early in 2006 or late in 2005.

I've budgeted for the 30" display when buying a new Mac Pro upon the Creative Suite 3's release, and I'm really hoping for an updated display and a Mac Pro with eight 3GHz cores.

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post

Dear Friends

When was Apple's 30" display last updated? I seem to recall a relatively unpublicized update featuring better internals (no changes externally) that happened early in 2006 or late in 2005.

I've budgeted for the 30" display when buying a new Mac Pro upon the Creative Suite 3's release, and I'm really hoping for an updated display and a Mac Pro with eight 3GHz cores.

Sincerely,

Jaddie

I am waiting for the quad core Mac Pro, CS3, and a new 30"+ monitor as well for my photography hobby but I will settle for a 2.0 or 2.33 GHz instead.The highest speed Xeon Intel makes currently runs at 2.66GHz and has 120W TDP compared to 80W for the lower speeds.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    IMHO new Cinema Displays only at WWDC.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    I am very happy with my 23" cinema display right now. I don't really see a need to come out with new ones right away. Whats wrong with the current ones?
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

Whats wrong with the current ones?

Price/features, otherwise, nothing is wrong.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

I am very happy with my 23" cinema display right now. I don't really see a need to come out with new ones right away. Whats wrong with the current ones?

I agree - nothing is wrong with the current-gen displays, apart from the pricing on the 20" which is starting to look very silly.

C.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Quote:

Dear Digital Disasta & Friends

There's nothing wrong with the current displays. They're awesome.

But it's been six years since I've bought a new workstation. I'm replacing a single-processor 733MHz Power Mac G4 with 22" and 19" CRTs. That was the fastest Mac six years ago. (And that was a substantial upgrade from my Power Mac 7500 with a 300MHz G3 processor upgrade.)

Believe it or not, my only speed complaint with my current machine is that working with and saving 16-bit files in Photoshop CS2 is painfully slow.

I'm hoping to avoid dropping nearly US$2000 on a new display and then seeing its replacement three months later. Of course, that risk is inherent with many technology products.

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:

I'm hoping to avoid dropping nearly US$2000 on a new display and then seeing its replacement three months later. Of course, that risk is inherent with many technology products.

Sincerely,

Jaddie

Of course, I could commit heresy and recommend that you look into other display manufacturers for the time being.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    At the moment, Apple ship a 23" Cinema Display with a 1920x1200 res., and an iMac 24" with the same res.

Bearing in mind that the specs of the panels which Apple have fitted to the Cinema Displays to date, are superior to the panels that are fitted to the iMacs - I don't think we'll see the same 24" panel appearing in the updated Cinema Displays.

This means one of two things:

1. The display will remain 23", but feature a higher resolution.

2. The display will be larger than 24", and feature a higher resolution.

I would be surprised if they didn't fit an iSight whilst they were at it (for all they must cost) because Apple will be pushing iChat functionality across the board.

Just my tuppence worth.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    We're sure FCP 6, Photoshop CS3, and Leopard are all coming around the April to June time period.

Intel will bring major hardware updates in that time frame.

So its most likely Apple will have major hardware updates around that same time.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Right now the 30" Apple display is 50% more than the Dell 30" display ($1999 vs $1274) - so I imagine that they will drop the price soon.

Besides my inherent "computer greed", I don't know why I would need to upgrade from the 24" dell to the 30" Apple, but I might do it if the price dropped to $1500 and it included some more cool stuff.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Sincerely,

Jaddie

even if you pay that money for the 30" still you will be very satisfied with the results.

Amazing monitor. I want to get a second one as soon as the price drops. or maybe get a new larger than 30"

it's just worth to have it. Believe me, I cant' live without it!
  • Reply 17 of 42
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Of course, I could commit heresy and recommend that you look into other display manufacturers for the time being.

I'm interested in HP's new 30" LP3065 but so far availability is a problem. I could order directly from HP but would kinda like to see it at a store first. No retail stores have it yet.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Do the Apple and Dell models share the same panel, or just screen size?
  • Reply 19 of 42
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Do the Apple and Dell models share the same panel, or just screen size?

The 30" models use the same LG panel. Other sizes do not share the same panels.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I was hoping to see some updates to the mini (C2D), airport express (N and gigabit ports), monitors (built-in iSight). I was ready to purchase all three but it seems no monitor updates. I need a 23" but want to wait until I see how they are going to go on the i-Sight.

Thoughts?

we were all hoping for something, but that's not what this is about and that's not how steve jobs works.

compared to the iphone, all other technology apple could've announced is boring. steve is rightfully enamored by the iphone and everything it represents going into the future. to talk about leopard, mac updates or god forbid ilife or iwork would've been as boring as watching snot drip. the appletv is merely strategic to itunes/ipod growth, which they need for the next year or so.

to talk about the iphone gives them more front page press in all media outlets than any other piece of technology could do for them. the time to talk about leopard again is coming soon, and we can all expect the usual updates to happen at that time. but none of it gets apple this kind of attention, not even a strategic release of leopard to counter vista could do what the iphone has done. and assuming they are gonna do that, this conference was too soon for it. special events here we come.