Superdrive Tibook upgrade

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is their anyway this will be an option from someone. I would love to be able to upgrade to a Superdrive sometime. Thanks for the help.

Teddy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    <a href="http://www.mcetech.com/sdpbg4.html"; target="_blank">Superdrive Upgrade</a>

Supposedly it'll be out in a couple of days. I, for one, would love to hear if it works or not. Especially since it claims to have iDVD support.

I'm curious what they would do to my current drive, though. Also, the price is kinda steep and they have to perform the upgrade, so you may be without your TiBook for a while.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    And HOLY COW!!! Its 2X!!! if this is true, why wouldn't Apple use it in their own Powerbooks???
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Well, I know that my Ti 800 DVI gets really warm after buring several CDs in succession. Imagine an entire DVD. Then imagine an entire DVD at 2X. I don't know that much about DVD burning, but it seems to me that faster would mean hotter. Could the fan handle increased heat?

(Remember that picture a while back of the Ti with a melted keyboard?)

/shudders/
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jmpjmp Posts: 31member
    [quote]Originally posted by filmmaker2002:

<strong>And HOLY COW!!! Its 2X!!! if this is true, why wouldn't Apple use it in their own Powerbooks???</strong><hr></blockquote>

About a month ago there was a report that Apple went with 1X burning for the powerbook superdrive because at 2X the burn would frequently be ruined if the powerbook was moved around. However at 1X the burning was supposedly very reliable, even if the powerbook was moved/bumped.

I don't know whether it was ever confirmed, but the idea sounds reasonable. So does the heat/power consumption idea though-maybe some truth to both?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Thanks for the info. Even so, how often are people on a bus trying to burn DVDs at 2X. This would be great to make my TiBook a true desktop replacement, and when I burn DVDs, I would just sit the PB on my desk and leave it alone. Thanks for the info though.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    the only concern for my 800dvi, is that I believe this upgrade would definately void any waranty/Applecare...that would suck.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    neurokidneurokid Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Thanks for the info. Even so, how often are people on a bus trying to burn DVDs at 2X. This would be great to make my TiBook a true desktop replacement, and when I burn DVDs, I would just sit the PB on my desk and leave it alone. Thanks for the info though.

Have you guys seen the MCE website lately? I've been checking periodically -- the site now says that it's Superdrive upgrades for the TiBook are 1X. What happened to the 2X?

I'm not buying anything until I have assurance that it works with iDVD3 -- I bought iLife, but I can't even *install* iDVD3 without a Superdrive
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Apple initially announed the 17'' powerbook at 2x as well, didn't they? I think I heard that it had to with the burning process not being reliable at that speed.

I have also been checking the MCE website, and they have been postponing the release of the Superdrive upgrade for a while now. I really want it to work with iDVD as well, but I'll wait to see it confirmed before I shell out $500.