Doh...no Expresscard in the MB or we could game...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.fareastgizmos.com/computi..._computers.php

Too bad this thing is butt ugly too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I could see this being the future of gaming and consoles could even follow suit. Instead of shipping the GPU fixed in place, ship it as a standardized removable component. Then if you need an upgrade, you just swap out the card as easy as ejecting a CD. Just leave integrated graphics on all computers by default.

I don't think this would really have helped the Macbook though. The cost of adding an expresscard slot and buying the external card etc could easily reach the price of the low end MBP.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Instead of shipping the GPU fixed in place, ship it as a standardized removable component. Then if you need an upgrade, you just swap out the card as easy as ejecting a CD.

Wow, that sounds just like my PC! I must be living in the future...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    anyone know what the multiplier on the mbp EC34 slot is? Surely it isnt 16x?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

The picture of the example use basically looks like a painful operation. Imagine trying to game on a flight to Tokyo. Here is my my laptop, graphics card device, external keyboard, and external Monitor? WTF. I think I would just buy a good desktop. then All I would need is an external power device.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

In a way but you still have to open up your computer and for a laptop, this is much harder. This device could be plug and play.

I don't like the idea of it all being external like in the diagram but maybe in the future if they get the cards smaller.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

The picture of the example use basically looks like a painful operation. Imagine trying to game on a flight to Tokyo. Here is my my laptop, graphics card device, external keyboard, and external Monitor? WTF. I think I would just buy a good desktop. then All I would need is an external power device.

Always negative about technology that doesn't work exactly for you eh?

How many college students own a Macbook or laptop with just GMA graphics?

How many college students would like the option to play more graphics intensive games in their dormrooms on their laptops that just have GMA graphics?

How many college students game while flying to Tokyo?

If the MB had an expresscard port then this would be killer for the Apple platform (despite the looks). The MBP typically is okay for most gaming already.

While as a parent I wouldn't spring for this for a college kid I would pay for a laptop and larger monitor for the dorm. He (or she) can decide whether they want to buy a 360 or this thing for gaming out of their own money.

Vinea
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Oh heh...how many folks with work laptops with GMA that do have an expresscard slot that would be interested for home use?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    x1 and at that spped it beats the POS gma 950
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

x1 and at that spped it beats the POS gma 950

By 9 times. Yep the GMA 950 doth suck royally for games. Hoping the GMA X3000 is much better or the mini goes to something else.

Vinea
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    The speed of the link isn't the only factor that affects performance.

I don't know if this thing fills a need though. Most of those that want the video performance probably would have gotten a notebook with faster than integrated graphics in the first place. They don't state the price, but the price of the notebook + this thing surely has to be higher than the price of a more powerful notebook that has that graphics performance built-in.