Some things the iPhone NEEDS, imo

Comments

• Reply 81 of 144
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    They didn't explicitly say it will have iChat, they didn't explicitly say it won't. We'll know in June.

Quote:

Not having vibrate is a BIG DEAL

Perhaps vibrate and the motion sensors don't get along too well.

But again they did not specifically say it had vibrate nor did they specifically say it won't.
  • Reply 82 of 144
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Roughly Drafted has an article dealing with iPhone myths, which incidentally, directly addresses a lot of the pro-con points being made in this thread. For those of you that don't bother to read these links, here are some of the topics.

Myth 1: the iPhone is missing EVDO (or some other high end feature) which will stifle adoption.

Myth Two: The iPhone is priced too high. It needs a 2 GB version for $299 lacking phone features.

Myth Three: The iPhone should be sold unlocked, not tied to Cingular service.

Myth Four: The iPhone software is a closed model, therefore the sky is falling.

This is what Steve-o had to say about this:

These are devices that need to work, and you can?t do that if you load any software on them,? he said. ?That doesn?t mean there?s not going to be software to buy that you can load on them coming from us. It doesn?t mean we have to write it all, but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment.?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/te...in&oref=slogin

Myth Five: The iPhone is just a phone with features lots of other phones already have.

This seems to be the most prevalent one with the Windows fanboys at work.

Myth Eight: An integrated battery is a significant problem for users.

Myth Nine: OMG Scratches

Aquatic: if you think this phone sucks so much, then there is a simple solution: don't buy it.

Personally, I would not buy this phone, but the prospects of the implementation of some of this technology in an iPod is very exciting, and I will be buying one of those if the features/price is right.
  • Reply 83 of 144
    A couple things iPhone needs:

1) no lockdown to cell carrier and no contract

2) Microvision Projector

3) GPS

4) Skype/Voip over WiFi

5) Voice recording

6) Ability to record conversations to memory and upload to computer/iTunes, etc.

7) Video-out for connecting to TV / video goggles

Or, maybe all this needs to be the new iPod, and the iPhone can stay the way it is and fester in the hellish exclusiveness of Planet Cingular.

Sooo close, yet sooo far.
  • Reply 84 of 144
    Quote:

Microvision Projector

What the HELL?

Why does the iPhone NEED a projector?
  • Reply 85 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What the HELL?

Why does the iPhone NEED a projector?

Don't get me wrong - the lack of the Microvision Projector does not detract from how awsome the iPhone is (the Cingular+contract deal does), but it would be cool if you could project video, photos, etc onto a big screen/wall from such a small device.
  • Reply 86 of 144
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault View Post

A couple things iPhone needs:

1) no lockdown to cell carrier and no contract

2) Microvision Projector

3) GPS

4) Skype/Voip over WiFi

5) Voice recording

6) Ability to record conversations to memory and upload to computer/iTunes, etc.

7) Video-out for connecting to TV / video goggles

Or, maybe all this needs to be the new iPod, and the iPhone can stay the way it is and fester in the hellish exclusiveness of Planet Cingular.

Sooo close, yet sooo far.

1) No lockdown to cell phone carier is ultimately good, but bad for now. Apple would have to coordinate ALL of their new technologies based on ALL of their providers. Cingular seems to be the most open to making network changes, so this gives Apple a lot of freedom. ALL PHONES COME WITH A CONTRACT IN THE SENSE THAT ALL PLANS COME WITH A CONTACT EXCEPT PAY-AS-YOU GO, AND PAY-AS-YOU-GO PHONES SUCK!

2) This technology is EXPENSIVE and currently sucks quite a bit.

3) Cell phones can be located by the carrier and this information sent back to the phone, so with Google Maps, thats good enough. GPS is just ANOTHER expense.

5) No. Too complicated and Skype/VOip quality over wireless is not the best.

6) You don't know it doesn't have this, and this would be nice.

7) This can be done through the dock.
  • Reply 87 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

1) No lockdown to cell phone carier is ultimately good, but bad for now. Apple would have to coordinate ALL of their new technologies based on ALL of their providers. Cingular seems to be the most open to making network changes, so this gives Apple a lot of freedom. ALL PHONES COME WITH A CONTRACT IN THE SENSE THAT ALL PLANS COME WITH A CONTACT EXCEPT PAY-AS-YOU GO, AND PAY-AS-YOU-GO PHONES SUCK!

2) This technology is EXPENSIVE and currently sucks quite a bit.

3) Cell phones can be located by the carrier and this information sent back to the phone, so with Google Maps, thats good enough. GPS is just ANOTHER expense.

5) No. Too complicated and Skype/VOip quality over wireless is not the best.

6) You don't know it doesn't have this, and this would be nice.

7) This can be done through the dock.

3) Can the carrier pinpoint your exact location within a couple feet and give fly-through map directions - anywhere on the planet? Only GPS will do this.

5) WTF?! Skype quality has always been AWSOME for me - whether wireless or wired. Better than my landline phone!
  • Reply 88 of 144
    ok first i think the end product will have iChat built in, it must...

second i think that the 3G hardware will be in the phone, most definitly must have it, but i think they are going to keep it closed because there is no use for it thus drains battery, once it opens up i think they will speak to cingular and find some solutions

third, a projector? wtf is wrong with people seriously this isnt a housemade or your bitch, thats just rediculous

fourth, im pretty sure this phone will have GPS with all the buddy buddying apple has with google now, im sure it will at least have GPS triangulation

fifth, skype was also in that NYTIMES link ^ there, job's said he is trying to deal with cingular on this but they dont know if they will shoot for it because it makes cingular lose minutes, its all money u know

sixth, we dont know about voice recording, but i dont see a use for it personally neither do a lot of people, probably xnay on that

and last, about the damn software, its closed ended, but who cares, honestly id rather pay apple for their products no joke, i have my tmobile dash, only had it for 2 motnhs and its a peice of crap, why because of all these dumb 3rd party apps on there, they suck and they ruin the phones..im glad apple is creating everything, i just hope they make the things everyone needs, which they will..look at how cool and useful some of the widgets are for macs

so people stop bitching either buy it or dont, i went to t-mobile today and my buddy that works there already has the phone on pre-order..i asked HOW...he just simply said "its nice working for phone companies"....and then he showed me a reciept from cingular...dont ask me how but it came out to like $640 something...lol and i asked, but u work for tmobile how will u work this, its not unlockable...and he said..oh but i already sent the specs to our unlocking department and theyre already working on it, theyll have a key out by June....i was pretty impressed especially with that receipt...lol i want him to order me one but he said next month, he can only do 1 a month so i will update u all in february haha
  • Reply 89 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault View Post

3) Can the carrier pinpoint your exact location within a couple feet and give fly-through map directions - anywhere on the planet? Only GPS will do this.

5) WTF?! Skype quality has always been AWSOME for me - whether wireless or wired. Better than my landline phone!

Cell phone location by carrier is much more accurate than most would think. This is how E911 knows exactly where you are. At any rate, even if GPS is good in the long term, it is not right now. It would just be another added expense.

I've used skype a few times and the quality was about the same as my cell phone. At anyrate, its really just not needed for most. Afterall, your paying for your cell phone bill wether you use the minutes or not.
  • Reply 90 of 144
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Cell phone location by carrier is much more accurate than most would think. This is how E911 knows exactly where you are. At any rate, even if GPS is good in the long term, it is not right now. It would just be another added expense.

I've used skype a few times and the quality was about the same as my cell phone. At anyrate, its really just not needed for most. Afterall, your paying for your cell phone bill wether you use the minutes or not.

Some use Skype for it's Free Skype to Skype calls, then again, almost every IM (except most Jabber Based IMs) have this feature, and then for people without Skype, they just use their Minutes.

I'm in agreement with you though, you're paying the bill anyways so why not use it?

Sebastian
  • Reply 91 of 144
    Quote:

Agreed some people are making too big a deal over VOIP. But Apple should allow it to be used.

One good reason is people would feel like they have some choice. It would defeat the point of a mobile phone to depend on WiFI. So they would still end up using Cingular anyway.
  • Reply 92 of 144
    Quote:

Agreed some people are making too big a deal over VOIP. But Apple should allow it to be used.

One good reason is people would feel like they have some choice. It would defeat the point of a mobile phone to depend on WiFI. So they would still end up using Cingular anyway.

Here in San Francisco, Mobile Phone providers will learn to... how to put it... UTTERLY UTTERLY HATE ANY MOBILE DEVICE THAT CAN INSTALL SKYPE!!

I'm sure Apple may have considered it, but I doubt Cingular liked the idea very much with efforts like Google and Earthlink turning San Francisco into a gigantic Wifi Network, and a few other Efforts around the country, I think one in Portland, and I think Paris has something similar (not sure)

Sebastian
  • Reply 93 of 144
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes I agree AIM and iChat are needed and thus by extension being able to place calls for free in WiFi zones via Voice chat in iChat would be sweet. Not to mention videochat. But Apple follows The Man these days (like DRM for iTMS) and carriers like Slewis said absolutely HATE that idea. Sigh.
  • Reply 94 of 144
    Quote:

But Apple follows The Man these days (like DRM for iTMS) and carriers like Slewis said absolutely HATE that idea. Sigh.

Come on Aquatic you have to be reasonable.

Apple is not in total control of these situations. Everyone is in this for their own best interests and Apple has to negotiate everything. DRM on iTMS is not Apple bending to the will of the man. iTMS would not exist at all without DRM, period. Its a compromise.

The same between Apple and Cingular. Apple is not able to walk into the situation and fully control what Cingular will do. Apple has to compromise and Cingular has to compromise. Of course Cingular would not want the iPhone to use VOIP. In negotiating Apple may have had to give up that option in order to get something more valuable. If Apple does not compromise with Cingular the iPhone does not exist, period.

Once Apple has grown the iPhone market and the two year contract with Cingular expires they are in a better position to do what they want.
  • Reply 95 of 144
    honestly...im sure apple would like to do everything but they are in a tie down with cingular..and they have to give them something, doing VOIP and all that just simply excludes cingular's money at all, then whats the point
  • Reply 96 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

honestly...im sure apple would like to do everything but they are in a tie down with cingular..and they have to give them something, doing VOIP and all that just simply excludes cingular's money at all, then whats the point

Haha, how? Phone companies will hate any WiFi phone with Skype or similar. But the iPhone requires a contract to buy it, you're still going to end up paying the phone bill. At any rate, if you're paying the bill anyways, why not just use the phone plan you have?

Sebastian
  • Reply 97 of 144
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Padilla79

I'm in love with this thing, but I'm forcing myself NOT to buy it until a 2G iPhone is released.

Not a bad thing. This thing is a brand new platform and will require quite a bit of software refinement. I think the icons could stand a bit more refinement in their looks myself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Padilla79

Here's a few things I'm looking for:

1. More storage -- I'd like to see more storage, along the lines of 16-32GB, or even that wonderful 60GB mini-HDD that Samsung is releasing

2. Utilization of WiFi -- Why not beat Zune at it's own game? Sync wirelessly with WiFi and/or Bluetooth with other phones and computers. Download something from the iTunes Store onto the iPhone and then sync it with the PC, and vice versa. Or how about iPhone-to-iPhone communication, much like what the Nintendo DS does.

3. 3G Network -- EDGE sucks. I use it on my Razr and it's HORRIBLE. 3G is the way to go, and I'm waiting for it.

4. More software -- I'd like to see AIM on my iPhone, even though I can just route my IMs to my phone and talk via SMS. Having an iPhone-tailored AIM would be perfect, I think.

5. Video camera -- I'm not sure if it has it or not, but I think the iPhone only has a 2mp camera. I'd like to see video functionality so that that wonderfully amazing widescreen could be put to even better use.

1. Yeah. Jobs is in love with thinness, or perhaps that's a requirement of the smartphone market. If this thing is an iPod, a phone and internet communicator, it should have memory to handle the potential uses.

They could have very easily gone with 8 GB flash at the $499 price point and an 80 GB 1.8" drive at the $599 price point. An 80 GB version would be 0.6" thick and that messes with the aesthetics. A 30 GB hard drive could probably be under 0.5" thick though, and they'd be able to keep one thickness. I guess the big tradeoff was flash probably uses less power, and these machines need to save as much power as possible.

2. That's just a software update.

3. I don't think there will be a situation where using the wireless carrier's network for internet usage will be anything more than horrible. 3G will come by Q4 07 for Europe, and hopefully Apple refreshes for the USA at the same time.

4. They just need to write software.

5. The hardware is there, they just need to write the software.

One of the big complaints everyone has is that Apple decided to work with the USA wireless carriers instead of competing against them or doing something better than them since they are universally hated in the USA.

The thing that most everyone recognizes is that the iPhone as a platform has nearly unlimited potential with the multi-touch interface and how a lot of things could be added by bit of software.
  • Reply 98 of 144
    Quote:

Come on Aquatic you have to be reasonable.

Apple is not in total control of these situations. Everyone is in this for their own best interests and Apple has to negotiate everything. DRM on iTMS is not Apple bending to the will of the man. iTMS would not exist at all without DRM, period. Its a compromise.

The same between Apple and Cingular. Apple is not able to walk into the situation and fully control what Cingular will do. Apple has to compromise and Cingular has to compromise. Of course Cingular would not want the iPhone to use VOIP. In negotiating Apple may have had to give up that option in order to get something more valuable. If Apple does not compromise with Cingular the iPhone does not exist, period.

Once Apple has grown the iPhone market and the two year contract with Cingular expires they are in a better position to do what they want.

Compromise is UNACCEPTABLE! That's why I canceled my own wedding a year ago! Steve/Apple should NOT give into the demands of the music lables, cellphone companies, etc! Apple once upon a time was different from Microsoft in that they offered their users CHOICE, FREEDOM, etc! Now, Steve is working for Cingular and for Disney! It's just plain UNACCEPTABLE!
  • Reply 99 of 144
    well creating a whole new infrastructure, i doubt they would do their own cell phone network, imagine all the towers and satellites they have to send up to be their own, and with the music...wtf is wrong with you, what do you want apple to write its own tunes as well, if apple didnt compromise with record companies etc...they wouldnt have shit and you know it, that was a stupid comment grow up and realize REAL LIFE situations that are actually acceptable
  • Reply 100 of 144
    I have some good questions.

1. will iphone support custom ringtones. ( create your own ringtones ala sony ercisson phones )

2. will you be able to use mp3s as ringtones. ( the obvious answer is yes, but they never said anything about it during the podcast.

3. will you be able to assign a picture( can you even assign one? ) and ringtone to each contact you have?

4.voice recorder?

5. voice-dialing?

etc.