12" powerbooks so hot - there's current on the case

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by peve:

<strong>

yeah? i never saw that issue with 15" pb's.<hr></blockquote></strong>

I think there were some entries about it on Macintouch, but it might have been somewhere else. But yes, I've read quite a few reports of similar things on the forums.

[ 02-22-2003: Message edited by: icruise ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 37
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    This is BS, no there is not even without the grounded cable.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, typically just through walking around you can build up a static charge on your body easily in excess of 250 volts.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    macratmacrat Posts: 35member
    My 667 TiBook does this as well. It hurts my palms if I type for any length of time. Unplug it from the wall, and all is fine. If you search on the apple boards you will find lot's of complaints about this. With the 1Ghz TiBooks they started using a grounded power adapter.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    fireants22fireants22 Posts: 119member
    none of the powerbooks in japan ever ship with a 3rd-prong plug (ground-plug)....even the powermac towers only ship with the 2 (plus a dangly wire that a person has to stick somewhere?) The problem is that in Tokyo, you would have a really hard time looking for a wall socket with even a spot for the 3rd prong.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macrat:

<strong>My 667 TiBook does this as well. It hurts my palms if I type for any length of time. Unplug it from the wall, and all is fine. If you search on the apple boards you will find lot's of complaints about this. With the 1Ghz TiBooks they started using a grounded power adapter.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep -- I was about to say, the adapter on my 867 Ti is grounded (if you slide in that module).
  • Reply 27 of 37
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    500Mhz TiBook i had: not grounded, no problem

1Ghz TiBook i Have: not grounded, no problem

And I've actually hooked my palms and the machine to a 2 input oscilliscope in an EE lab for kicks because I heard about this once. No measurable voltage.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    To be grounded the plugs in the wall needs to have three holes, no?

If so, then apple power bricks are not sold grounded here and normal installations doesn´t have the opportunity to ground things.

• Reply 29 of 37
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by fred_lj:

<strong>

Yep -- I was about to say, the adapter on my 867 Ti is grounded (if you slide in that module).</strong><hr></blockquote>

can someone take a pic of this module?
  • Reply 30 of 37
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by fireants22:

<strong>none of the powerbooks in japan ever ship with a 3rd-prong plug (ground-plug)....even the powermac towers only ship with the 2 (plus a dangly wire that a person has to stick somewhere?)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Assuming that the Japanese setup is not unlike an older American setup, the dangly wire is the ground. There should be a screw of some sort to fasten it to that connects to the building's ground.

I have a turntable with that arrangement.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    fireants22fireants22 Posts: 119member
    the dangly wire dont come on the powerbooks....only on the powermacs.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by icruise:

<strong>[/qb]

I think there were some entries about it on Macintouch, but it might have been somewhere else. But yes, I've read quite a few reports of similar things on the forums.

[ 02-22-2003: Message edited by: icruise ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I sometimes get a sort of uncomfortable tingle / slight pricking on my wrists off mine.

I don't really care.

• Reply 33 of 37
    If I remember my Random Facts correctly, it takes about 10,000 volts to spark an inch across air. That's a lot of wool sweaters in winter.

The hair on my legs get tingly when using my iBook plugged in, and that's before I get to the pr0n sites. No issues with battery-only. The source of this excitation appears to be from the screws.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    I have this same problem accross the plastic case of my iBook.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Yeesh, you'd think this board would realize what we're really dealing with: Steve's RDF!
  • Reply 36 of 37
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    you guys with your fancy laptops be careful, i heard about a dell burning a guys "yoohoo" once....
  • Reply 37 of 37
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    If you're going to surf for pr0n in the nude, that's your lookout...