Storing and watching TV shows from the iTunes Sto

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm thinking about buying for my first tv show from the iTunes store, but wanted to fully understand my options when it comes to backing up and watching the video.

According to the apple website, I can backup my movies (and I will presume this applies to TV shows as well) that I have puchased from the store onto DVD for "archiving purposes" only. I presume this means that if I burned a DVD, I can't just pop it into the DVD player in my living room or my other laptop and be able to watch the video. Basically, the only other machines I can watch the video on (besides the computer it was purchased on) are video iPods and five other computers. How does this five computer limit work?

And besides the new Apple TV or a video iPod, how can I watch the videos I purchase from the iTunes Store on my TV?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    If you are going to buy the movie then burn it onto a DVD then figure out how to get it to the TV, why don't you just buy the DVD in the first place?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

If you are going to buy the movie then burn it onto a DVD then figure out how to get it to the TV, why don't you just buy the DVD in the first place?

Maybe it's because the video I want to buy isn't out on DVD yet?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

And just b/c you're asking that poses kind of a big problem for Apple's iTunes strategy. It is easier to just buy the DVD and not worry about where you're able to play it (in the home, that is).

He's talking about burning to DVD for backup purposes, which won't play in DVD players, etc.

To answer your question: you're able to play iTunes-purchased content and play it on up to 5 computers. Now, you can back up your content to optical media - cd/dvd - but it won't be playable in cd/dvd players unless you tell iTunes to burn you an Audio CD in WAV format. In this case, do some Googling.

Now you're able to authorize/deauthorize computers from playing back iTunes content - so if you are formatting or something, deathorize first then back-up. Doing so takes that played X number of times off and places it to zero.

Am I correct, everyone?

It's so gosh-darned DRMd !!!!!!!