iPhone's OS X Less than 500MB, Flash vs Hard Drive.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
MacRumors reports;

"Macworld.co.uk provides some quotes from Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of worldwide iPod marketing.

Joswiak provides some additional details about the version of OS X that runs on the Apple iPhone. He confirms that the operating system sits in the flash memory of the iPhone and takes up "considerably less" than half a gigabyte of storage.

OS updates will be provided regularly, much like iPod updates are provided.

Meanwhile, Joswiak also states that Flash memory was chosen for the iPhone over a hard drive due to the advantages of size and durability.

In another report Joswiak reports that Apple will be providing accessory makers more details about designing for the iPhone later this month:

"We will be giving our developers technical information by the end of next month that will outline those extra requirements. We’ll work with our developers to make sure that the products are properly shielded."

He also confirms that the only other applications to be expected for the iPhone will be coming from Apple for the time being. Macworld.co.uk speculates that the next iWork update may integrate with the iPhone. Indeed, the buzz on the Macworld floor indicates that many believe that the iWork and iLife updates have been delayed due to tight integration with Leopard. iPhone integration could also certainly be possible, but no concrete evidence yet to support this."

Wowzer! I'm quite surprised the OS is that small, looking at its obvious power. I'm thinking Core Animation was used everwhere, every transition the phone does on screen. So for example every time the home button is pressed Core Animation comes into play, great news. I was disappointed when I heard the size of the internal storage. I never care about expandability, I just wanted more storage. 8/16 GB would have even been ok, but 4/8 seemed very small. Now with this news it doesn't seem as bad. In iPhone related ramblings, the phones does not have 3G, but listening to a few podcasts last night it seems that only 10% of the States has 3G towers, so IMO what's the bloody point. In Europe, particulary in Ireland and the UK, we have blanket 3G coverage, so I'm guessing when it officially launches before Christmas '07 over here, we'll only see a 3G version, and we'll never even hold the Edge one at all. Being that it only requires a software update to take it from Edge to 3G, I can't see why it wouldn't happen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Yeah the 4GB/8GB size will certainly limit video capabilities for this "video iPod." But I would definitely think Apple would come out with a U-shaped iPod connector so that one could "piggyback" the existing 30GB/80GB video iPods to the iPhone. If not them then perhaps a 3rd party developer.

BTW, does anyone know the actual iPhone physical dimensions and the location of it's iPod connector WRT the video iPod?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Yeah the 4GB/8GB size will certainly limit video capabilities for this "video iPod." But I would definitely think Apple would come out with a U-shaped iPod connector so that one could "piggyback" the existing 30GB/80GB video iPods to the iPhone. If not them then perhaps a 3rd party developer.

BTW, does anyone know the actual iPhone physical dimensions and the location of it's iPod connector WRT the video iPod?

Look here iPhone Tech Specs

The connector is centered/bottom
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:

Make your own

http://tonydev.com/iPhone/
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Look here iPhone Tech Specs

The connector is centered/bottom

Thanks, I went to the basic page but must of missed that one.

Same width as the video iPod at 2.4 inches, and both products look like the iPod connector is centered/bottom, that's a start.

Somehow I'd expect Apple to market an adapter.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Make your own

http://tonydev.com/iPhone/

Saw it in another thread, but the PDF doesn't show the iPod connector.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

In another report Joswiak reports that Apple will be providing accessory makers more details about designing for the iPhone later this month:

Probably one of the first 3rd party accessories they will jump on is a physical QWERTY keyboard that attaches to the bottom port.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Probably one of the first 3rd party accessories they will jump on is a physical QWERTY keyboard that attaches to the bottom port.

Just plugging a keyboard into the dock port won't necessarily allow it to function. The OS expects text input from the virtual keyboard and may not recognize (if Apple doesn't want it to) an external keyboard.

I think the thumb typing method currently in use is lame. The Phone should evolve a three finger typing style (index, middle and third finger)?sort of like doing finger exercises when you're a kid and taking piano lessons.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

"The iPhone is running an optimized, but full version of OS X that weighs in at 'considerably less' than half a GB

So it is a full version of OS X. Interesting....

Quote:

Just plugging a keyboard into the dock port won't necessarily allow it to function. The OS expects text input from the virtual keyboard and may not recognize (if Apple doesn't want it to) an external keyboard.

Well of course their would have to be drivers for the keyboard. That goes without saying.

What would it benefit Apple to lock out a physical keyboard?

Quote:

I think the thumb typing method currently in use is lame.

You don't have to type with your thumbs. Steve used his fingers in the keynote.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Somehow I'd expect Apple to market an adapter.

Why would Apple make an adapter? More likely, Apple will release a new iPod without the phone/internet additions and with a HD.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

Why would Apple make an adapter? More likely, Apple will release a new iPod without the phone/internet additions and with a HD.

Yes eventually, that could happen, but what is announced, the iPhone, isn't much use as a video player due to limited memory. Something tells me that a $30 adapter is in the works.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Yes eventually, that could happen, but what is announced, the iPhone, isn't much use as a video player due to limited memory. Something tells me that a $30 adapter is in the works.

So you're going to carry around two iPods...plus an adaptor? I'm sorry, I just don't see it.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

So you're going to carry around two iPods...plus an adaptor? I'm sorry, I just don't see it.

If you need a HD I don't see any other way. Besides what do you do now with your video iPod and a cell phone, you're already carrying two items as it is. It's a zero sum game less adapter, and I'm sure the adapter can be made quite small given the two items thicknesses (perhaps 0.5" by 0.5" by 1" not too big at all).
  • Reply 13 of 16
    As far as iWork integration, you could probably put your slide show right on the iPhone and it could easily handle it. What I would want though is just the ability to Bluetooth (or WiFi I guess) to my laptop and advance slides.

Ooo, it could display the current and next slide for you via a feed from the computer, as well as timing info, and maybe even act as a pointer. Tilt it into widescreen mode to maximize the current slide and then hit a buttton, go into Pointer or Highlight mode and drag your finger around.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Its not terribly hard to understand. HD consumes more power than Flash so Apple chose Flash.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Wowzer! I'm quite surprised the OS is that small,

really? that surprised you? its only back in 2005 that apple shiped 256meg in the imacs and minis and the mini still ships with "only" 512meg ram, and thats enough to run the os and a few apps

so assuming SOME striping of OSX for the phone then i dont see how its all that surprising.

pretty amazing as Steve might point out, that most other smart phones/PDAs use 64-128meg my p800 uses 12meg! {yes i KNOW i need to upgrade }

Quote:

I was disappointed when I heard the size of the internal storage. I never care about expandability, I just wanted more storage. 8/16 GB would have even been ok, but 4/8 seemed very small.

i think what most people complaining about storage need to rmeember is that this isnt an 80 gig iPod its a PHONE you can get (as i tested) about 80 albums into 4gig leaving you 4gig for movies and pictures on the 8gig version

the other thing that people seem to miss out on is the part Steve mentioned twice in the keynote, once with Apple TV and once with the iphone the ability to have iTunes automatically add your 10 or 5 or 3 MOST RECENT - UNWATCHED movies/podcasts or whatever.. if you use the apple TV or iPhone like this iTunes only syncs the stuff you havent watched! so you need LESS storage.

i think anyone using iPhone for movie watching on longhaul flights (which saves getting the laptop out) are likely to be syncing with their laptop in the hotel. so they only need a few movies on the iPhone at any one time.

anyone wanting movie STORAGE and playback should look for an iPod (and we all hope THAT gets an update soon )

the iPhone isnt about movie STORAGE where as an iPod IS about Storage of your "entire collection"

big differance

having said that, i cant wait till its at 8/16 gig options

Quote:

In Europe, particulary in Ireland and the UK, we have blanket 3G coverage, so I'm guessing when it officially launches before Christmas '07 over here, we'll only see a 3G version, and we'll never even hold the Edge one at all. Being that it only requires a software update to take it from Edge to 3G, I can't see why it wouldn't happen.

i think G3 is SO much a "given" over here that its hardly worth mentioning

my problem is with who the carrier might end up being vodafone are the pits when it comes to cust. serv. and ive been with Orange for YEARS now so ive got comfy... but Orange always seem to be the LAST to adopt a new phone model...

that and limited Ram, Data plans and lack of info RE the Camera capabilitys are really making me consider holding off... but for how long? Tsk... i wonder if going from my SEp800 (or 910 if i upgrade next month) to the iPhone will be like going from XP to OSX?

interesting times indeed!