Pentium M-based Intel chip at heart of Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 101 of 144
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Who turns off their computer?

Power outages that outlast UPS battery backup?
  • Reply 102 of 144
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk View Post

But you might need internet connectivity to. The original article says:

Users can sync their entire iTunes libraries to the drive but will need an internet connection when attempting to play back licensed content purchased from the iTunes Store. (emphasis added)

If true, that means Apple TV can't be used for "offline" playback of FairPlay content? Ouch.

I'm guessing only if you turn your wireless router off with your computer. There was something in the keynote about the aTV being associated with only iTunes account but could stream from 5.

I guess that's how they handle "managed use" where someone comes over with a purchased movie on a laptop.

Vinea
  • Reply 103 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Um yes, I did say consumers, and in case you haven't noticed,the general consensus is that most people are dissappointed and wanted/expected more from Apple tv (read the forums, check the Apple discussions.)

And you really think forum users accurately represent Apple TV's target market?
  • Reply 104 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I'm guessing only if you turn your wireless router off with your computer.

Or a wired router, since Apple TV might be directly connected to one with Ethernet.

Quote:

There was something in the keynote about the aTV being associated with only iTunes account but could stream from 5.

I guess that's how they handle "managed use" where someone comes over with a purchased movie on a laptop.

So, Apple TV will use an additional online method to authorize content that may have already been authorized in iTunes to play on specific computers (including any Apple TV synchs with)? In other words, seems Apple TV alone can't be authorized for iTS FairPlay content playback.
  • Reply 105 of 144
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

And you really think forum users accurately represent Apple TV's target market?

Maybe, maybe not. But I honestly don't think I've read more than a handful of comments by people who think that this is the "killer" living room device that it could have been.. I mean, why spend $299 plus $179 for Apple's 802.11n router to playback near dvd quality movies without dolby surround when a $19 iPod av cable will basically do the same thing..

And In contrast to Apple tv, the general consensus on the iPhone is that Apple hit a home room.. We're going to have to wait a while to see how the market reacts to Apple tv, but considering it's limitations, I honestly don't see this being a hit or the must-have living room device that people were hoping for.
  • Reply 106 of 144
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Alternatively, they could've added another HD plus a slightly beefier processor and made the device, in effect, a 80GB, dual-turner DVR/media streamer (granted it would probably be a little thicker). Since DVRs are all the rage these days, Apple could see the DVR features available today and raise media streaming... all for a very low price of $400, flat.

Perhaps this will be a future version of the device, and Apple might just be testing the waters, but if the device fails, primarily because it doesn't include DVR capabilities, the AppleTV will not have a second chance. Apple needs to get the product right the first time, not the second time.

Not to pick you specifically out, but since people seem to keep posting this. Just to be clear. APPLE HAS NO INTEREST IN PRODUCING A DVR. They want you to purchase content through the iTunes Store. I doubt Apple would've sold what you're suggesting (80GB, dual tuner, faster processor, etc.) for $400, unless there was some kind of subscription involved. Even then, the specs on it probably would've been pretty wimpy (say compared to the DVR my cable company provides me for ~$10/month, that has 120GB, dual HD tuner, record/play 1080i content, etc.).

The real problem with the Apple TV is that even if you had a 3rd party Mac DVR solution, or other sources of video content, the Apple TV's specs are so weak that it's unlikely to support these other videos. You're paying $299 for 2005 hardware.
  • Reply 107 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

APPLE HAS NO INTEREST IN PRODUCING A DVR.

Nah.

Apple wants to give us a great media centre type machine. But more than that they want to create up a new paradigm of downloadable content and an Apple Store. To do that Apple needs to assure the media companies that it's on their side (and get their support!), rather than trying to skip their ads.

Quote:

Seriously, WHY is there a Hard Drive in this thing? It makes NO SENSE!

For me, I'd happily stream it all (and I'd rather have access to the 40GB to use as a backup!).

But imagine an Apple savvy husband with his laptop, and a not so Apple savvy wife. He sets up his laptop with movies/video/music etc for both of them, but if he goes out and if there was no sync, the AppleTV box would be useless to his wife (since his laptop is gone - no streaming). This pretty well sums up my parents. The AppleTV sync is perfect for a laptop user who's responsible for the household viewing experience
  • Reply 108 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ken(gr) View Post

Thank you for your answers. As for the iPod/CD, aTV/DVD relation, I cannot agree with that.

It's fast and easy to rip an entire CD, and it eats up 50-100MB of your hard disk space. And you do need as many of your CDs ripped in order to create playlists etc.

The situation with DVDs is a lot different. They eat up a lot of disk space, they are hard to rip (illegal too?), and there are DVDs that you rent, too.

Yes, you really do need a lot of diskspace but its a lot cheaper today than before. You can get a 1TB NAS for $700.

Legality depends on laws in your country. In the US the Library of Congress ruled no because of DMCA even though some folks believe yes due to fair use/backup.

Vinea
  • Reply 109 of 144
    Quote:

So, Apple TV will use an additional online method to authorize content that may have already been authorized in iTunes to play on specific computers (including any Apple TV synchs with)? In other words, seems Apple TV alone can't be authorized for iTS FairPlay content playback.

I read that to mean that you can't buy new content via aTV but already purchased ones should work even with the host iTunes machine off. Presumably new episodes wont stream in either until you boot your machine.

Vinea
  • Reply 110 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I do. Even if you don't think it is much, it's still a waste of power to leave them on all the time. Even sleep mode is a lot better than just leaving it on, and all it takes is a mouse click and a second to get back to normal.

I'd agree unless it's put to good use. Why not keep it on (for the convenience and to avoid wearing it out through thermal cycling) and run something like Folding at Home, which is socially of high value as this contributes to top research at Stanford University. Check out http://folding.stanford.edu/ download the app for your OS and get 'folding'. Join a Team (or set one up) and get that competitive spirit going! The Mac Teams are doing well but surely there are more GigaFlops of power just waiting to crunch numbers to help humankind?!
  • Reply 111 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Maybe, maybe not. But I honestly don't think I've read more than a handful of comments by people who think that this is the "killer" living room device that it could have been.. I mean, why spend $299 plus $179 for Apple's 802.11n router to playback near dvd quality movies without dolby surround when a $19 iPod av cable will basically do the same thing..

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but the fact that the AppleTV has an HDMI connector and an optical digital audio connector suggests to me that it is going to be able to work with Dolby Digital / DTS material as and when it comes available on the iTunes Store. There is no indication of the sound capability of existing movies (on the quick check I made on the US Store) but this does not preclude future ones from having multi-channel sound.

In principle it doesn't preclude existing movies from having multi-channel sound (does anyone know if they do?) as, at present, the sound may simply be being downmixed into 2 channels when played back in iTunes.
  • Reply 112 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drow View Post

can i please tell you what the components cost of a mouse is? pleeeeease? that should make your head explode.

exploding heads are fun.

No need for exploding heads: just buy some AAPL shares!
  • Reply 113 of 144
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sunbow View Post

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but the fact that the AppleTV has an HDMI connector and an optical digital audio connector suggests to me that it is going to be able to work with Dolby Digital / DTS material as and when it comes available on the iTunes Store. There is no indication of the sound capability of existing movies (on the quick check I made on the US Store) but this does not preclude future ones from having multi-channel sound.

In principle it doesn't preclude existing movies from having multi-channel sound (does anyone know if they do?) as, at present, the sound may simply be being downmixed into 2 channels when played back in iTunes.

I think it should be possible to have Dolby Digital or DTS output via HDMI or OpticalAudioOut on the AppleTV. The only multichannel source would be DVD streaming from Mac/PC to the AppleTV. We'll need someone to verify if this is the case. \
  • Reply 114 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe for a screen shot of the kernel booting. Even with the rapid development & experimentation on the Linux platform, it takes longer than that to get it to do something useful other than maybe routing packets.

Possibly. But the AppleTV uses parts with existing Linux drivers (I think). In addition, many of the Apple binaries are likely POSIX compliant and may actually be able to be used as is. Anyway, the linux community has hacked devices that are, in my opinion, a lot harder to hack.
  • Reply 115 of 144
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    And I thought it was the Windows crowd who get sold down the river on irrelevent specs!

All that bull about beefier processors and graphics cards is annoying cerebral masturbation & the implication that it's substandard technology will only deter sales to non-tech savvy potential customers (precisely the ones who should be buying it). They'll end up with a box, with higher spec hardware but a poor user experience and limited content, to sit in the corner.

The only specs that are relevent are the video playback which is 480p (1.5mbps for H.264 & 2.5mbps for MPEG4) as these relate to it's real-world capability, nothing to do with GHz

The kit should be fine for higher def video playback but Apple are historically bad at leveraging GPU capability (QT all but ignores them) so until a software update unleashes that capability let a black box be a black box - albeit cool & silver-grey.

Even 720p would hike up storage requirements at least 4 fold so current mid-range iMacs would hold around 80 hours (on top of normal useage) not much in the way of TV seasons & Movies

I'm getting one! (after they release TV on iTS outside the US)

McD
  • Reply 116 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

And I thought it was the Windows crowd who get sold down the river on irrelevent specs!

All that bull about beefier processors and graphics cards is annoying cerebral masturbation & the implication that it's substandard technology will only deter sales to non-tech savvy potential customers (precisely the ones who should be buying it). They'll end up with a box, with higher spec hardware but a poor user experience and limited content, to sit in the corner.

The only specs that are relevent are the video playback which is 480p (1.5mbps for H.264 & 2.5mbps for MPEG4) as these relate to it's real-world capability, nothing to do with GHz

The kit should be fine for higher def video playback but Apple are historically bad at leveraging GPU capability (QT all but ignores them) so until a software update unleashes that capability let a black box be a black box - albeit cool & silver-grey.

Even 720p would hike up storage requirements at least 4 fold so current mid-range iMacs would hold around 80 hours (on top of normal useage) not much in the way of TV seasons & Movies

I'm getting one! (after they release TV on iTS outside the US)

McD

Bingo. The GeForce Go 7400 is nice though ..."Cerebral masturbation" ... Heh, that's essentially what we do on AppleInsider every day
  • Reply 117 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

I'm getting one! (after they release TV [AND MOVIES] on iTS outside the US)...

Heh. So I guess you'll buy one in 2009. 8)
  • Reply 118 of 144
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

I believe it will work fine if you have red-blue-green compositive video ports on your TV. But a TV from 1994 won't have these. I'm not sure about convertors and how that would work.

I spent the day looking for converts. Couldn't find any. I found several that would up convert. But none that would down-convert 480i/p component to S or composite.

As far as the HD. The ?TV is the Video iPod. It is a 40GB iPod that syncs to iTunes in one computer. It will also 'share' with 5 computers. The internet connection is to validate that the computer it is synced to and/or streaming from is authorized to play that song/movie.

Network storage, look to the new Airport base station.
  • Reply 119 of 144
    Any idea if this will stream/transfer over other content than ITunes purchases?

DVD Rips, MPGs, AVIs, etc?
  • Reply 120 of 144
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigkid_in_ny View Post

Any idea if this will stream/transfer over other content than ITunes purchases?

DVD Rips, MPGs, AVIs, etc?

If the codexs are there it will play items stored in iTunes not just the iTS purchases. I don't know about sharing movies and photos that Front Row allows.