Future Mac mini specs and pricing?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hopefully Apple will update the Mac mini soon!

My speculative Mac mini possible generic specifications and pricing...

1.83GHz Core2 Duo

60GB HD

512MB RAM

Combo Drive

$599

2.0GHz Core2 Duo

80GB HD

1GB RAM

SuperDrive

$799

My more optimistic specs?

1.83GHz Core2 Duo

80GB HD @7,200 rpm

1GB RAM

Combo Drive

Intel GMA 3000 graphics

802.11n

$599

2GHz Core2 Duo

100GB HD @7,200 rpm

1GB RAM

SuperDrive

Intel GMA 3000 graphics

BTO ATi x1400 graphics

802.11n

$799

What do you think will happen ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

My more optimistic specs?

1.83GHz Core2 Duo

80GB HD @7,200 rpm

1GB RAM

Combo Drive

Intel GMA 3000 graphics

802.11n

$599

2GHz Core2 Duo

100GB HD @7,200 rpm

1GB RAM

SuperDrive

Intel GMA 3000 graphics

BTO ATi x1400 graphics

802.11n

$799

What do you think will happen ?

1) 512 MB RAM in the base model

2) Super Drive in the base model.

3) 7.2K HDD should be sweet.

4) No Dedicated Graphics until we see some form of Graphic card in MacBook.

Other things are fine.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    I'm thinking your realistic specs + the GMA 3000

Macbook should get the GMA 3000 too btw, then I can buy one
  • Reply 3 of 53
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    hopefully, the Mac mini will be extremely customizable. where you can basically choose a processor, choose HD, choose graphics, choose ram, choose wireless + bluetooth, etc.

this will answer everyone's midrange headless mac thing, and allow a wide range of specs. so you can have the bare bones for 399, or a pretty good machine for $1100. it wont bust into the iMac's range because they come with a monitor, so people will feel they save on value.

also, i think apple should make cheaper displays to sell. i want to get a 20" display so i can use my macbook like a desktop when im at home. i would go for a nice cheap one, but i REALLY like apple's form factor. i think they should make cheaper lower resolution displays to come out with the new Mac minis. then, they could take the cinema displays and make them all hd, maybe make them able to play TV content, super high resolution, etc. it would be perfect.

Apple Displays

17" - $129

20" - $199

23" - $249

Apple Cinema Displays

20" - $329

24" - $399

30" - $499

40" - $799

Mac Mini: Suggested Configurations:

1.83Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

80 GB Hard Drive

1 GB Ram

intel gma 3000

combo drive

$399

2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

120 GB Hard Drive

1 GB Ram

ATI Radeon X1600

airport extreme

super drive

$699

2.33Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

200 GB hard drive

2 GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

airport extreme

dl super drive

$1299

and anywhere in-between
  • Reply 4 of 53
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Would be nice if Apple bumped the Mini's to C2D. I am dieing to get one.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Me too! I would order one tonight if they changed the chips to C2D, they could leave everything else alone and I would still buy it. But with the CD in it I can't see buying one at this time.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by docprego View Post

Me too! I would order one tonight if they changed the chips to C2D, they could leave everything else alone and I would still buy it. But with the CD in it I can't see buying one at this time.

I have a CD mini and it is not that bad but compared to my 24" 2.33 GHz 3 GB ram iMac, it sucks. I am going to pass my CD mini on down the line to my brother or wife (will have to pry her G4 mini out of her hands before she lets go of it).
  • Reply 7 of 53
    How much RAM does your mini have though?
  • Reply 8 of 53
    C2D mini was what i was waiting on on the 8th! if they upgrade THAT im getting one, i can add extra ram and HD space to it as and if i need, but at the min. you cant buy one with C2D.

as soon as that changes i see a rush in mini sales

i have a CD and its a great little machine, but its ending up under the TV ASAP
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Quote:

How much RAM does your mini have though?

It is maxed out; 2 GB I think. Every Mac I purchase gets the royal ram treatment.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    That's interesting, a 2GB mini gets trounced by a 3GB iMac. I mean I am not shocked but I wouldn't have expected the difference to be that significant. I wonder how it would be if this comparison was a 2GB C2D mini vs a 3GB iMac?
  • Reply 11 of 53
    they should cpu desk top cpus in to a bigger mini as well a x16 pci-e slot
  • Reply 12 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:

That's interesting, a 2GB mini gets trounced by a 3GB iMac. I mean I am not shocked but I wouldn't have expected the difference to be that significant. I wonder how it would be if this comparison was a 2GB C2D mini vs a 3GB iMac?

The different in clock speed alone is enough, especially if it's the 1.66 GHz Mini. That's 670MHz per core = 1.34GHz. That's almost another full core. I've tested a 1.66 Mini against a 2.16 Core 2 Duo iMac and the difference I found was only slightly more than the difference in clock speed but that still equates to about 30%.

All I wish from a Mini revision is a decent dedicated GPU. Even the Geforce 7400 GPUs out of all the unsold Apple TVs there will be would do. Core 2 Duos at the same speed as the Macbooks wouldn't go wrong - there's absolutely no reason for Apple to cripple the low end machine just for the sake of it.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The different in clock speed alone is enough, especially if it's the 1.66 GHz Mini. That's 670MHz per core = 1.34GHz. That's almost another full core. I've tested a 1.66 Mini against a 2.16 Core 2 Duo iMac and the difference I found was only slightly more than the difference in clock speed but that still equates to about 30%.

All I wish from a Mini revision is a decent dedicated GPU. Even the Geforce 7400 GPUs out of all the unsold Apple TVs there will be would do. Core 2 Duos at the same speed as the Macbooks wouldn't go wrong - there's absolutely no reason for Apple to cripple the low end machine just for the sake of it.

I have the 1.83 GHz CD and 2.33 GHz 24" C2D iMac. The 24" iMac will boot Windows in Parallels in 5 seconds while the other takes about 12 - 13 seconds. Not a big deal but I can tell the speed issue in almost all aspects of computing I do.

You are right, the CPU power alone and then throw C2 technology in the mix and you have an outdated mini.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    IMHO the C2D and better integrated graphics are a given. What I'd really like to see is a Mini that can use 4GB of RAM and have at least one of it's two Ram slots easily accessible.

As for things like a x16 pci-e slot, etc. where is the minitower (Apple hasn't had one since the MDD G4) that would fill

the H-U-G-E gap

between the Mini and Mac Pro.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Hopefully Apple will update the Mac mini soon!

My speculative Mac mini possible generic specifications and pricing...

1.83GHz Core2 Duo

60GB HD

512MB RAM

Combo Drive

$599

2.0GHz Core2 Duo

80GB HD

1GB RAM

SuperDrive

$799

Unfortunately I think that's pretty much spot on.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Unfortunately I think that's pretty much spot on.

Apple REALLY need to stop selling expensive computers with Combo Drives.... it's 2007 now.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    i cant find the thread that mentioned this, but the AppleTV is 7.5 by 7.5 as is the new airport extreme...

this lead me to thinking that "perhaps" if the mini got a redesign (after all its 2 years old now, isnt it?) then it might get these beefier proportions would 7.5 by 7.5 allow for a FULL SIZE HD ? or even a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drive?

just a thought
  • Reply 18 of 53
    I don't see AppleTV as having any connection to the mini whatsoever. First of all Apple would never make an elegant product less elegant (bulkier) in a revision. Secondly Apple sees the AppleTV as living under your television, not under your Mac Mini. For these 2 reasons the form factor will not change.

I think Ecking was correct in his revision predictions with one exception; I see all Minis coming with 1GB of RAM standard in the next revision in preparation for Leopard.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Sooner or later, I'd like to see a MacMini w/RG-6 input, HDMI out, and Blu-ray Disc. I'd buy one today if I could.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:

I don't see AppleTV as having any connection to the mini whatsoever. First of all Apple would never make an elegant product less elegant (bulkier) in a revision. Secondly Apple sees the AppleTV as living under your television, not under your Mac Mini. For these 2 reasons the form factor will not change.

I think Ecking was correct in his revision predictions with one exception; I see all Minis coming with 1GB of RAM standard in the next revision in preparation for Leopard.

the angle being taken on the other thread was that "just from a picture" people had assumed the aTV, airport extreme and mini were all the smae size.

it IS against apples usual style to make a bulkier product, but interesting, at least to some, as to WHY they chose to go for a different size than the mini?

my mini is headed (like a fair few others) for under the TV, you can get similar styled HDs for the mini so why not take advantage of that stacking and design the aTV to be part of that stack?

as i say, it makes me ask the question "Why choose a different size?"

does it imply a bulkier xMac type computer? i dont know.

everyone seemed to be wrong about WHERE the click wheel would be placed on the iPhone... because it wasnt included at all.

as to 1 Gb of RAM being included i REALLY hope so, but i wouldnt put money on it.