2nd Generation Apple TV

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited July 2014
I'm curious. What will the 2nd generation of Apple TV look like? Taking into consideration Apple's strategy here with the Apple TV. They clearly want to make the computer the feeder of this device. Thefore I think the following WON'T be in the 2nd gneration
  • No DVD player - Clearly a last century device they're not going to mess with.

• No iTunes Store - If you added an iTunes store it would have to sync up whatever you buy with the computer, and they'd have to provide a convenient way for you to navigate the store, add a keyboard for entry, all that junk. It's a pain I don't see them worrying about.

• No DVR - It detracts from the whole point of the iTunes store.

None of the above fits in with apple's apparent strategy with this device where the Computer is clearly the focus of how the device operates.

I think we might see
  • Increase to 1080p

• Ability for iPhone to act as a source

That's really all that I can think of for them to add. I'm beginning to think this isn't going to be a major product that sees a lot of refreshes. More like, a utility. Similar to the Airport Express. It serves it's purpose, what more can it do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'd like to see it include a router, much the same way the airtunes was included with airport express. I was personally surprised they put a hard drive in the thing - I'd prefer leaving that out and instead allowing people to attach larger hard drives for storage if they want. Now that they've done it, I don't see them taking it out, but they could let users attach a hard drive via USB for greater storage and back up.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I believe the second gen Apple TV, will be a television. 32", 42", or 50" black Apple televsion with side-slot-load DVD player, Apple TV Edition Remote and Apple iTV inside with 100GB HD. That would be special.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I believe the second gen Apple TV, will be a television. 32", 42", or 50" black Apple televsion with side-slot-load DVD player, Apple TV Edition Remote and Apple iTV inside with 100GB HD. That would be special.

I agree. Why else would you call a non-TV an "AppleTV", when a Mac is a Mac, and a phone is an iPhone. This sub-par 1st gen product will eventually be replaced with an all-in-one real TV product.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree. Why else would you call a non-TV an "AppleTV", when a Mac is a Mac, and a phone is an iPhone. This sub-par 1st gen product will eventually be replaced with an all-in-one real TV product.

Yahoo!

Imagine.. 100GB to store most small DVD collections on, any Youtube or Google video, any video podcast, any TV Show, or any Movie, with some live content for news etc. I say I say, shall we throw out or digital cable box honey? That and this damn thing even plays DVD's. And with streaming from a computer with say a 500GB hard drive, what more could one want, woot!
  • Reply 5 of 65
    Quote:

hmm... haven't thought of that. I still doubt they'll have the slot load DVD, unless it's Blu-Ray.

But even if they do that, they're not going to replace the current device with the TV.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

I'd like to see it include a router, much the same way the airtunes was included with airport express. I was personally surprised they put a hard drive in the thing - I'd prefer leaving that out and instead allowing people to attach larger hard drives for storage if they want. Now that they've done it, I don't see them taking it out, but they could let users attach a hard drive via USB for greater storage and back up.

I have doubts about that. It seems like it would undercut the value of the Airport too much. And then you'd also be prone to network usage interrupting your TV.

I am still curious about that USB port. I suspect Apple has something up it's sleaves with that. Maybe it can be used for increased storage and they're just not telling anyone. It doesn't make sense to have it there for administration only. What could you do through the USB that you couldn't do wirelessly?
  • Reply 6 of 65
    Hey Ireland. Is "Ireland" your screen name on Digg? I see an Ireland there alot I'm just wondering if it's you.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    Quote:

So basically a 32", 42", and 50" iMac with a different form. Personally that's what I'd like. Then, can I have a 13" tablet I can use as a second monitor-slash-remote input device?

I'd be happy if they combined the Apple TV with the Airport Extreme and added Air Tunes.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Hey Ireland. Is "Ireland" your screen name on Digg? I see an Ireland there alot I'm just wondering if it's you.

That's me!
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancm2000 View Post

So basically a 32", 42", and 50" iMac with a different form.

No, not an iMac. Just as Apple refuses to call the iPhone a computer. I hope they will refuse to call this an iMac or a computer. This is a Television, and should be thought of a such, and hope they marketed it that way. This is the first of the next generation of TV's. In other words; No firewire ports, no DVi ports, though it may have one or two USB's. Just ports like the iTV. Like the iMac it will have no external powerbrick. This is a streaming, storing TV with a built-in DVD player, it's not a computer, it wont have Mac OS X on it, just front Row 2 or 3.0.

Add a second USB, a second HDMI, and a heavier power cord (like the iMac's) to this image, and possibly a scart or two;

..and you have the ports I would expect on such a device from Apple.

One other thing I hope they do is make it a plasma TV as the qualtiy of plasma kicks the living crap out of LCD's when it comes to televisions.

I'd pay between €1,400 and €2000 for the 32" version of this device, and I think they could easily sell in that ball park.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Finalized 802.11n spec, 1080p (powered by faster CPU/GPU), and larger hard disk are virtually guaranteed. I think enough people will bemoan over it lacking 5.1-channel audio that both QuickTime (H.264 AVC) and iTunes Store will add 5.1-channel audio. Less likely but should items include gigabit Ethernet, WAN port so that Apple TV can become AirPort Extreme Base Station, and USB port that can connect to iPod, printer, and external hard disk.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Finalized 802.11n spec, 1080p (powered by faster CPU/GPU), and larger hard disk are virtually guaranteed. I think enough people will bemoan over it lacking 5.1-channel audio that both QuickTime (H.264 AVC) and iTunes Store will add 5.1-channel audio. Less likely but should items include gigabit Ethernet, WAN port so that Apple TV can become AirPort Extreme Base Station, and USB port that can connect to iPod, printer, and external hard disk.

The HDMI port should be able to handle multi-channel audio. Gigabit should have been on the first generation product IMO. I think Apple should have had a firewire port and flash memory card slots as well.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The HDMI port should be able to handle multi-channel audio. Gigabit should have been on the first generation product IMO. I think Apple should have had a firewire port and flash memory card slots as well.

Yah, but TV episodes and movies from iTunes aren't 5.1 are they? I think this is the biggest disadvantage to converting DVDs with handbrake and using it as a media hub like I plan to do. I lose the good audio. What's the point of the audio features on the Apple TV if there's no media to take advantage of it?
  • Reply 13 of 65
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    here is a little tidbit said at the Financial Call today regarding AppleTV

"Do you see the Apple TV a niche platform or broad platform?

A: We see it as the DVD player of the 21st century. So clearly not a niche."
  • Reply 14 of 65
    Quote:

Yahoo!

Imagine.. 100GB to store most small DVD collections on, any Youtube or Google video, any video podcast, any TV Show, or any Movie, with some live content for news etc. I say I say, shall we throw out or digital cable box honey? That and this damn thing even plays DVD's. And with streaming from a computer with say a 500GB hard drive, what more could one want, woot!

The technology is all there and I hope they do it. That would be a sweet product
  • Reply 15 of 65
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Thefore I think the following WON'T be in the 2nd gneration

No DVD player - Clearly a last century device they're not going to mess with.

Apple can't compete in the dvd space because they don't make their own and can't offer it as cheap as the heavyweight CE companies and now next gen formats are on the way, so it's out of the question.

Quote:

No iTunes Store - If you added an iTunes store it would have to sync up whatever you buy with the computer, and they'd have to provide a convenient way for you to navigate the store, add a keyboard for entry, all that junk. It's a pain I don't see them worrying about.

On screen keyboard al-la most video games is pretty easy to implement and all it'd have to do is let you choose the option of either download to the ?tv itself or download to the comp of your choice and then stream or sinq to ?tv, it's not that hard.

It's pretty goofy to have to go on the computer for a few mins and then go to your tv each time you want to watch something new. That's not an elegant solution imo.

Quote:

No DVR - It detracts from the whole point of the iTunes store.

of course not ?tv is a dvr for your computer and itunes in a sense.

Quote:

I think we might see:

Increase to 1080p

definetly, but it might be possible through firmware since the proc is clocked down.

Quote:

Ability for iPhone to act as a source

only if future wireless ipods get the same treatment, but even then there isn't much cool about such a feature, unless a friend could come over and show me something she/he's got on their ipod/iphone.

Quote:

That's really all that I can think of for them to add. I'm beginning to think this isn't going to be a major product that sees a lot of refreshes. More like, a utility. Similar to the Airport Express. It serves it's purpose, what more can it do?

It can't have a lot of refreshes, people don't replace things like that often or for no reason. How ofter do you buy and new vcr? A new dvd player? A new reciever? That's the kind of environment the ?tv is destined for, refreshing it often would just piss off consumers. The only way I can see around this is price brackets, like lower the ?tv's price after a while and debut a new one with 1080p and bigger HD and couple of extra gimicks for the current or higher price.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

I agree. Why else would you call a non-TV an "AppleTV", when a Mac is a Mac, and a phone is an iPhone.

Why would you call a non-iPod device an "iPod hi-fi"?

IF Apple makes TVs it won't be for a long time.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    support for iphone as a source could be brought in using a software upgrade and the usb/wifi connection. Also the apple tv may be capable of up to 1able of up 2 1080I with it being advertised
  • Reply 18 of 65
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Yah, but TV episodes and movies from iTunes aren't 5.1 are they? I think this is the biggest disadvantage to converting DVDs with handbrake and using it as a media hub like I plan to do. I lose the good audio. What's the point of the audio features on the Apple TV if there's no media to take advantage of it?

Um yeah they are, or at least I think they are.

It's been a long time since I streamed the It's Showtime video, but I remember Steve mentioned something about Dolby Digital something being in Movies.

Sebastian
  • Reply 19 of 65
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I remember Steve mentioned something about Dolby Digital something being in Movies.

No, I'm pretty sure the movies are in Dolby Surround sound. That kind of 4-channel signal (left, center, right, mono rear) can be carried in a stereo signal.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

On screen keyboard al-la most video games is pretty easy to implement and all it'd have to do is let you choose the option of either download to the ?tv itself or download to the comp of your choice and then stream or sinq to ?tv, it's not that hard.

It's pretty goofy to have to go on the computer for a few mins and then go to your tv each time you want to watch something new. That's not an elegant solution imo.

An onscreen keyboard may be easy to implement, but so would a tiny PDA-like keyboard. But Apple didn't do that because they're a pain to use. Just like an onscreen keyboard is. Using a remote to move around a keyboard is a royal pain in my opinion. I just think there's no way Steve would let Apple make something like that. Going to the computer for a few minutes and then to the TV is alot less goofier than trying to type with an onscreen keyboard.

Now I could see them maybe doing an iTunes store with it set up to just browse through everything the same way you do your own music collection. So, I guess that's not quite as far fetched as I thought if they go that route.