Briefly: Q107 results, Dashcode for Tiger, new Get a Mac ads

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple will announce results from its first fiscal quarter of 2007 after market close tomorrow. Meanwhile, the company is making a stripped down version of Dashcode available to developers running Tiger. And three Get a Mac ads have cropped up on the Apple website.

Apple earnings tomorrow

Apple will announce results from its first fiscal quarter of 2007 after market close on Wednesday, January 17, 2007.

On average, analysts polled by Thomson Financial expect the Cupertino-based company to report earnings of 78 cents per share on sales of $6.42 billion.

Apple will provide a live audio stream of the quarterly conference call with analysts and members of the media beginning at 2:00 p.m. PST. The live audio webcast will be accessible via QuickTime through the company's web site.

Dashcode for Tiger

In a newsletter to developers, Apple this week announced that it is releasing a beta versio of its Dashboard widget authoring tool that has been stripped down to work on the current version of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

"This beta release has been scaled back to be compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) in order to get feedback from a broad range of users," the company said. "We appreciate your participation in this beta program and welcome your feedback about bugs fixes and enhancements that would make developing Dashboard widgets even more fun and productive."

Dashcode will only be released officially as part of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), which should be on the market by July 15, 2007 (when the Dashcode beta is set to expire).

Three new Get a Mac ads

Apple over on its website has posted three new commercials from its "Get a Mac" national television advertising campaign.

The first, dubbed "Surgery," depicts the PC in a hospital gown headed into surgery to upgrade to the necessary hardware required to run the full-blown version of Microsoft's new Windows operating system.

Another, called "Sabotage," plays out a foiled attempt by the PC to sabotage the latest "Get a Mac" spot by feeding a Mac impersonator his lines. The real Mac intervenes and garners praise from the impersonating Mac as the spot ends.

The third and final ad -- Tech Support -- draws a chuckle as it shows an IT guy duct-taping an external webcam to the PC's head for some "serious video conferencing." The PC's enthusiasm is short lived, however, as the IT guy points out that Macs already come with built-in iSights.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Well I downloaded Dashcode for Tiger last night. It looks pretty nice, although not sure how many Widgets I'll be developing as the templates only really help for the basic stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I didn't notice until I just watched those ads, but when the commercial shows a mac at the end, it's not iMac. It says AppleMac, like on AppleTv. All of the commercials are like that.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous View Post

I didn't notice until I just watched those ads, but when the commercial shows a mac at the end, it's not iMac. It says AppleMac, like on AppleTv. All of the commercials are like that.

Are you sure they weren't always like that?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I thought it was always like that.

I used Dashcode in Leopard, and it needs alot more templates to get less-educated-developers (like me) to use it, but I guess the designs are just examples, not for us to use in our end-products

-tj
  • Reply 5 of 18
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    ha!

"I'm a big fan."
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Are you sure they weren't always like that?

It's apparently always been like that. I just didn't notice. I thought it was interesting and pointed it out to see what other people thought. Did you notice that from the beginning?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Ok maybe I am dumb, but can someone explain the surgery one to me. The mac says "speaking of peripherals...", and I have no clue what he means by that.

Otherwise the other 2 are hilarious, but I would not broadcast the surgery one because not even I understand it.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post

Ok maybe I am dumb, but can someone explain the surgery one to me. The mac says "speaking of peripherals...", and I have no clue what he means by that.

Otherwise the other 2 are hilarious, but I would not broadcast the surgery one because not even I understand it.

That was the one they showed at Macworld! I would've shown the installation one. oh well.

Overall, those are better than the last batch.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by reallynotnick

iphone
  • Reply 10 of 18
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

This beta release will cease to function on July 15, 2007.

Hmm? Leopard?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    And btw -- in case no one noticed... the sabotage commercial is hilarious... you can see the PC mouthing the words.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Hmm? Leopard?

I thought that but I think it's more a contingency plan. Apple are probably thinking Leopard will definitely be out by then so there's no harm in setting that date as it gives nothing away. I was very surprised at the lack of announcement at MacWorld. I hope it's out by April, just because that was their target. Although a later, less buggy release is always better. I wonder what those secret features are and when they'll be shown!
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

he was talking about the fact he could see PCs dick and ass when he turned around in the hospital robes
  • Reply 14 of 18
    "dick and ass"
  • Reply 15 of 18
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    I hadn't thought about that. I thought he was referring to the aftermath of PC's flatulence "left behind" when he walked away..
  • Reply 16 of 18
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Surgery is new?

You were able to view it anytime you wanted since Apple unveiled it at Macworld

Sebastian
  • Reply 17 of 18
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Hospital gowns are open in the back, so it's a double entendre PC means peripherals as in attachements for a computer Mac means peripheral as in peripheral vision because he can see his ass.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

It has two meanings.

Justin Long is obviously referring to John Hodgman's exposed butt when he turns his back to long and walks off set.

However, this commercial was introduced the same day the iPhone, AppleTV, and new Airport Extreme Base Station were announced. Did Jobs plan it this way? I'd surely bet money that he did.