Connecting Imac G3 OS 9 to internet w/o airport

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, I really hope someone can help me out with this issue. I have a Cable modem connected to my wireless router. I have a PC which connects wirelessly to the internet via a wireless USB adapter. I want to connect an iMac G3 running OS9 to the internet, but when I connect the ethernet cable from my iMac to my router, it doesn't connect to the internet. I was told to connect the cable modem directly to my iMac in order to access the internet from my mac, but if I do this, I will be unable to connect from my PC since the cable modem wouldn't be plugged into the router. The airport cards are expensive and I need an affordable solution to connect both my PC and imac G3 to the internet. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    First, two questions.

1) Does your wireless router have ethernet ports? If it does connect the iMac to one of these ports and try it.

2) Did your iMac connect to the internet when you connected directly to the cable modem? If not, check to see if you are configured for DHCP. Its been a long time for OS9 for me so I don't remember the if it was Network or Internet control panel you want.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Hi, thank you for replying.

1) Yes. My wireless router has ethernet ports. I have connected my imac to it and it does not connect to the internet.

2) I just connected my modem directly to my mac and it doesn't connect. I do have the DHCP setup. Is it possible that I need to reset my modem? When it was setup, it was setup on a pc.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HayLo View Post

Hi, thank you for replying.

1) Yes. My wireless router has ethernet ports. I have connected my imac to it and it does not connect to the internet.

2) I just connected my modem directly to my mac and it doesn't connect. I do have the DHCP setup. Is it possible that I need to reset my modem? When it was setup, it was setup on a pc.

Its very likely you need to shut both the modem and the imac down and then power up the modem followed by the imac. Home cable modems key off the mac (not imac) address of the ethernet appliance connected to it. You can't change that (pc to mac or visa versa) without powering the cable modem down and up. Stupid but I've spent enought time with tech help on this in the past.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Yup I just got off the phone with tech support and we tried restarting the modem. Tech support says it must be my ethernet card thats not working. I checked system profiler and it lists the ethernet as Link: down. I don't know what to do now.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Most of us have forgotten OS 9, but you can at least check the Control Panels and see what is set there.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Like lundy suggested, you'll have to set up your network settings in the right control panels to connect to the router. OS 9 will not automatically detect the router and set up things like OS X does. If the settings are wrong, it just won't work.