G5 Desktop Harddisk Configs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi... i just purchased a used Dual 2.7GB G5 Desktop. Prior to that I had a Dual 2.0 G4. I new my way around the interior of that machine fairly well. My question is? How many internal hardiscs does it support without piggy back peripherals? There are 2 harddrives installed in there right now. Is there a location for a 3rd?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deeper View Post

Hi... i just purchased a used Dual 2.7GB G5 Desktop. Prior to that I had a Dual 2.0 G4. I new my way around the interior of that machine fairly well. My question is? How many internal hardiscs does it support without piggy back peripherals? There are 2 harddrives installed in there right now. Is there a location for a 3rd?

No, piggyback is your only option.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

No, piggyback is your only option.

thanks!

8)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    You can fit two hard drives internally without any modifications ? so out the box the machine will support:

? two independent drives

? two drive RAID-0 setup

? two drive RAID-1 setup

? two drive JBoD setup

You can also install a replacement baffle that holds an additional two hard drives. AFAIK these additional drive connect to a dedicated PCI card.

After that, you're looking at external solutions via FW400/800 & USB.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Two is what it is designed to fit. If you can make a mount, you can out a third one in without an add-in adapter by changing the IDE cable so it's long enough to place another drive on that chain. I've done that, it works without a serious performance impact that I can tell. There are several kits available that you can mount drives in the PCI bay or in front of the CPU fans.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Could any one recommend hardware for installing an additional hardrive in a G5 desktop? Dual 2.7Ghz

Right now I have 2 drives.....but i would need some sort of piggyback mount and wiring i would think. And I don't even know if there is room inside for a 3rd harddrive. I have 3 external drives.....so I really need an internal one. One of these days when I can afford it I'll but a multi TB external raid array....but for now....

Has anyone done this.....had success installing a 3rd drive in the G5?