Apple to air 'special' Super Bowl ad on Feb. 4 - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A deal between Apple Inc. and Apple Corps to bring the legendary music catalog of The Beatles to iTunes could see an announcement in the form of a Super Bowl commercial, according to a report published Wednesday.

Citing "sources with knowledge of the project," the Toronto Sun said remastered tracks from the British Fab Four's United Kingdom CD back catalogue are slated to be made available for downloading from Apple's iTunes Store as soon as next month.

Apple plans a "special" announcement scheduled for a Super Bowl commercial on Feb. 4, which may give more indication as to where the new remastered CDs will debut first, the paper said.

Echoing a report from Tuesday, the Sun also reported that the arrangement between the two Apples is for an exclusive three-month restricted distribution deal through iTunes that would likely prolong the release the actual remastered CDs.

Tuesday's report suggested that Apple Corps would make at least some of the British rock group's music collection available through iTunes on Valentine's Day, providing a convenient means of promoting the band's recent Cirque du Soleil project, Love.

Apple Corps and UK record label EMI reportedly declined to comment on the report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    Any chance that Apple, Inc. outright buys Apple Corps?
  • Reply 3 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Any chance that Apple, Inc. outright buys Apple Corps?

Not while Paul is the process of divorcing Heather.

He needs to hide as many assets as he can.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    mazzymazzy Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

that would be new money and would not go to Heather. Anyway it would go to Apple Corp and Paul could delay any personal payments until the divorce is complete
  • Reply 5 of 68
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcharna View Post

I hope Apple goes all out and makes another fantastic Super Bowl ad

Yeah, I hope it isn't just another variant on "colored silhouettes grooving to the music" thing. Not only is that getting a little old, it wouldn't convey much in the way of excitement or specialness.

Given the "new found harmony between old rivals near Valentine's Day to pimp the Love album" circumstances, seems like "All you need is love" is a given for the track.

I don't think they should show the iPod at all, or any of the über-cool funky young urban folk the agency is so fond of. Let this one be all about the Beatles, and the commingling of Apples. Do an Apple/ Apple Beatles/iPod text at the end.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    Maybe a special-edition iPod?
  • Reply 7 of 68
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdreams View Post

Maybe a special-edition iPod?

Cool!!! A black video ipod with a red click wheel. U2 scrated out... beatles etched in... with all of the beatles autographs (magically) printed on the back. Uh... no.

Will it include all of the great Beatles movies too?
  • Reply 8 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mazzy View Post

that would be new money and would not go to Heather. Anyway it would go to Apple Corp and Paul could delay any personal payments until the divorce is complete

I'm glad the British baristers are so well represented here. Do either of you have any idea what you're talking about?
  • Reply 9 of 68
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I wouldn't mind seeing an iPhone commercial with close-ups

of it being used, especially blowing up pics or scrolling through music.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    I guessed right on this one!

My post yesterday to AppleInsider's Beatles story:

Quote:

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see an iPod ad set to a Beatles tune during the Super Bowl, which is Feb. 4 and less than two weeks before Valentine's Day. Particularly if Apple is going to launch a new iPod or even refresh the line with storage bumps or new colors.

That seems to make more sense than an iPhone ad during the Super Bowl for a product that won't debut until June (though the movie studios routinely feature summer movies during the Super Bowl to generate early buzz).

• Reply 11 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

I guessed right on this one!

My post yesterday to AppleInsider's Beatles story:

Alright porchland! I'm impressed.

You know, I like the beatles and everything. But we would probably see this much hype over a new artist on iTunes if it had been Britney Spears who held out for so long
  • Reply 12 of 68
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Not to hijack, but Heather got hers when he married her.

He obviously loved her enough to be honest (no pre-nup), she should be honest enough to walk away!

end rant
  • Reply 13 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Cool!!! A black video ipod with a red click wheel. U2 scrated out... beatles etched in... with all of the beatles autographs (magically) printed on the back. Uh... no.

Yellow iPod with waterproof cover!

with one song installed: Can't Buy Me Love!!!
  • Reply 14 of 68
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    a british flag/beatles ipod would be tight
  • Reply 15 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

a british flag/beatles ipod would be tight

oh baby, SOLD!!
  • Reply 16 of 68
    How about this: the Apple/Apple special edition-- the Apple etched on the back is green. Comes preloaded with Love. Low key and classy.
  • Reply 17 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

I wouldn't mind seeing an iPhone commercial with close-ups

of it being used, especially blowing up pics or scrolling through music.

Too soon. No point in stoking lust for a product 6 months out. Initiating lust, ala the MacWorld announcement, is another matter.
  • Reply 18 of 68
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    a lot of people have probably seen the "i'm a mac, i'm a pc" ads, so perhaps a play on that.

i'm a paul, and i'm a ringo... blah blah.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

a lot of people have probably seen the "i'm a mac, i'm a pc" ads, so perhaps a play on that.

i'm a paul, and i'm a ringo... blah blah.

no offense but i hope not. not that im getting tired of those ads. that one just doesnt seem like a good idea. I like the English iPod idea with the union jack printed on it.

speaking of getting tired of ads is anyone else kinda tired of the normal iPod commercials with crazy colors and silhouettes and such. I liked the song in the last one but the concept feels tired
  • Reply 20 of 68
    The only way they will make an English Flag iPod is if it is for a Special Edition Def Leppard iPod.

The Beatles were world icons and them being from England had little to do with the content of their music or imagery. They took pieces of influence from all over the world mainly the US and India near the end.

I know I would definitely not buy an iPod draped in a British Flag and neither would a majority of people outside the UK. It would look as tacky as an American Flag iPod.

There is so much more imagery from the Beatles catalog that would look more fitting.

And about the commercial, no one here is going to predict what they will do for it. That's why we are all on message boards and not being paid the big bucks to sit in an Ad Agency and think ideas for commercials.