Vista's ReadyBoost

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey people,

For those familiar with Vista, will Vista's ReadyBoost, which increases RAM using a USB flashdrive, provide memory capacity beyond the computer's RAM limit?

Even if not, let's hope Leopard comes with something similar!

Thanks,

S

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmaniac View Post

Hey people,

For those familiar with Vista, will Vista's ReadyBoost, which increases RAM using a USB flashdrive, provide memory capacity beyond the computer's RAM limit?

Even if not, let's hope Leopard comes with something similar!

Steve B.

Likely not, but you can have a Mac Pro BTO with 16 GB of RAM, so why bother?

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I haven't seen Vista (personally), but this seems really gimmicky to me. This is what I would do if I needed every scrap of whatever to get my OS to boot a fraction better. Are people supposed to fill their USB ports with thumb drives? Is USB 1 less good than USB 2? Will my computer be faster to boot, but still not able to run Vista with all Teh Shiny ®?

People want to know!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    its a lame excuse for adding more memory without cracking open your system. slower than real ram, just slightly faster than your hard drive.

Adding system memory (RAM) is often the best way to improve your PC's performance. More memory means applications can run without needing to access the hard drive. However, upgrading memory is not always easy. You need to know what type of memory you need, purchase the memory, and open your computer to install the memory—which sometimes can invalidate your support agreement. Also, some machines have limited memory expansion capabilities, preventing you from adding RAM even if you are willing to do so.

Now ReadyDrive is much better, using a hybrid drive. That makes sense:

Windows ReadyDrive enables Windows Vista PCs equipped with a hybrid hard disk to boot up faster, resume from hibernate in less time, preserve battery power, and improve hard disk reliability. Hybrid hard disks are a new type of hard disk, with integrated non-volatile flash memory.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    i had vista and i used ready boost and it really didnt do anything at all. yah it was only 256 ram but it would almost slow my computer down becuase it had to think about the readyboost featurue... i stopped using it right away and then scrapped windows vista all together...now (sigh) its back to xp
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Interesting comments, all.

My thought was that for machines older than 3 to 4 yrs with a low maximum memory(less than 256MB, like laptops, say) that this might increase that max.

S
  • Reply 6 of 6
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    I believe in stead of writing a pagefile on the hard drive, it writes it on the thumb drive. Not a very big performance boost.