What exactly happened to the Playstation 3?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 322
    Isn't the PS3 HDMI only?

Not much people want to buy a PS3+a 3000$ tv with it just to get it too work i guess...
  • Reply 42 of 322
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drazztikka View Post

Isn't the PS3 HDMI only?

Not much people want to buy a PS3+a 3000$ tv with it just to get it too work i guess...

Only the $600 PS3 has HDMI. Both have component video.
  • Reply 43 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Only the $600 PS3 has HDMI. Both have component video.

They changed that because it created a bit of a ruckus. They all have HDMI.
  • Reply 44 of 322
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdnc101 View Post

Man oh man...and you think the guy you're quoting sounds like a moron...

1) Console sales and TV sales are two entirely different things. While there are 100s of different types of TVs, with different brands and different features, there are three main (this-gen) consoles out right now. When one isn't flying off sales when its INITIAL FIGURES OF DELIVERY WERE CUT IN HALF, it isn't a good sign. When eBay markup only lasted for two weeks, after which the sellers started to lose an average of 50 dollars / console? Again, not a good sign. So far, quite a few things about the PS3 show a (current) lack of demand.

2) The ancedotes shared in this thread are, multiple times, noted for their value of less-than-nothing, seeing as they are only ancedotal. The posters state this.

3) When people say the PS3 is overpriced, they aren't talking about the hardware that Sony is selling. It is hard to argue for a better Blu-Ray player. WHAT THEY ARE ARGUING is that it is too overpriced as far as consoles go, many (myself included) think that the current price tag is too steep for a general audience.

I personally have none of the next-gen consoles, not a huge fan of any of them - but your post was, in a word, ridiculous.

1. I know TVs and consoles are not the same thing. Look up the term "tongue-in-cheek," mmmk?

2. No, they don't. I do.

3. Then their argument is stupid, because it's not just a game console and Sony is losing money on each one. "Way overpriced" is a subjective term. I think what they mean is "way overpriced for me, because I'm a broke 15 year old."

Lastly, the PS3 WAS flying off the shelves and still is. It's only now that you can find one in some areas, speaking of anecdotal evidence.
  • Reply 45 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Market forces are a brilliant Darwinian mechanism for setting prices.

C.

Update - hot off the presses.

The Market says.... $600 is too high a price.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22243

That doesn't mean the market says anything or even that the price is the "issue." Boo-hoo...they only will sell 4.5m instead of 6! They're internal sales predictions for pete's sake.
  • Reply 46 of 322
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I'm sorry, but you sound like a moron when you say that.

Is that how you teach your children and students to talk?
  • Reply 47 of 322
    tdnc101tdnc101 Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

1. I know TVs and consoles are not the same thing. Look up the term "tongue-in-cheek," mmmk?

2. No, they don't. I do.

3. Then their argument is stupid, because it's not just a game console and Sony is losing money on each one. "Way overpriced" is a subjective term. I think what they mean is "way overpriced for me, because I'm a broke 15 year old."

Lastly, the PS3 WAS flying off the shelves and still is. It's only now that you can find one in some areas, speaking of anecdotal evidence.

Please, give me some articles that suggest this.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...rt-R2-Today-11

And, no. The "broke 15 year old" thing is not what they mean. In fact, quite the opposite - many people, with other time and financial constraints, don't want to pay such a large sum for a console.

Which, by the way, I think most will argue that its main function IS TO PLAY VIDEOGAMES. It is a console, no matter how you dress it up. The only other valid argument is for the Blu-Ray player, in which case the console is a good deal (the web browser is a fine feature but far from game-changing, IMO). HOWEVER, if someone is just shopping for a console that plays videogames, and Blu-Ray is irrelevant to them, then yes, it does seem overly expensive. Don't put a condescending age label on it, I don't see many people (who don't have moderate interest in Blu-Ray) who can CURRENTLY justify the PS3 price. Again, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE CURRENT STATE OF THE PS3.

I'm shocked that you're so consistently condescending in your posts when your arguments are rather tepid.

EDIT: Furthermore, I'm shocked that you would throw around age remarks when you're an educator.
  • Reply 48 of 322
    tdnc101tdnc101 Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

This is anecdotal evidence, which is worth almost nothing, but every time I have been in a Target or other big store with a video games section, I have seen at least one PS3. I have never seen a Wii.

Again, this is not worth much, but it certainly strikes me as very odd.

Read other peoples' posts before flaming them, SDW2001. This clearly states the ineffective nature of ancedotal evidence.
  • Reply 49 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Is that how you teach your children and students to talk?

I don't know...are you a child?
  • Reply 50 of 322
    My buddy sent me an email today, telling me that the guy directly in front of him in line got the last Wii from the store, leaving my buddy empty handed.

Poor guy
  • Reply 51 of 322
    I get the distinct sense that the Wii bandwagon has a certain, discernable fear of the PS3. That is, "are our Wii's going to be left as a fad when some truly great PS3 games, blu-ray videos, and broad HD acceptance come about in the next year or two."

I like the Wii too, but the negativity towards the PS3 just doesn't make sense. The difference between the two is like the difference between a Miata and an M5, a Mac Mini and a Mac Pro, a ping pong paddle and a tennis racket. There's plenty of market for both.
  • Reply 52 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I get the distinct sense that the Wii bandwagon has a certain, discernable fear of the PS3. That is, "are our Wii's going to be left as a fad when some truly great PS3 games, blu-ray videos, and broad HD acceptance come about in the next year or two."

I like the Wii too, but the negativity towards the PS3 just doesn't make sense. The difference between the two is like the difference between a Miata and an M5, a Mac Mini and a Mac Pro, a ping pong paddle and a tennis racket. There's plenty of market for both.

I think the negativity towards the Playstation 3 stems from two things. First is the whole rootkit fiasco, even though that was a different department of Sony entirely. The other being the fact that 15-year-old boys, the demographic most prone to untamed fanboyism, can't afford it.

Interestingly, it seems like there's a huge anti-Sony bias playing out in blogs and on forums. Yet when you ask people what system they'll likely buy in the future (one or two years out, when prices have dropped to reasonable), there's near unanimous support for the PS3. The haters are just an obnoxious minority.
  • Reply 53 of 322
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

The haters are just an obnoxious minority.

And there you have a nearly universal truth, across all arguments, politics, situations, and cultures.
  • Reply 54 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

And there you have a nearly universal truth, across all arguments, politics, situations, and cultures.

You're right that that line is thrown out there too often, but in this case it's genuinely true. Look at pretty much any poll of most-wanted next-gen systems. The PS3 tops them all, by a wide margin, especially in contrast to the pretty much full on vitriol it's received across the net.
  • Reply 55 of 322
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

You're right that that line is thrown out there too often, but in this case it's genuinely true. Look at pretty much any poll of most-wanted next-gen systems. The PS3 tops them all, by a wide margin, especially in contrast to the pretty much full on vitriol it's received across the net.

I think that was true. The PS3 did have an enthusiastic fanbase amongst the core gaming audience. But you have to ask why that was.

There are two reasons. Sony's previous domination of the games market. And the way that Sony has hyped the PS3 prior to launch. The massive hype campaign, citing gigaflops and Cell processors led tech journalists and consumers to believe that Sony had the superior hardware. The war was over before it had begun. Sony's marketing machine are good at creating hype.

But since the launch I think that enthusiasm has collapsed. And the sales bear this out.

Why? Not because of a negative backlash on the Web - but because the product and the games are disapointing. Look at Gears of War and then look at a PS3 title and its suddenly hard to see what the extra money is delivering.

This is the second time this has happened now. Perhaps the PS3 should be re-named the PSP-Senior.

C.
  • Reply 56 of 322
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

I think that was true. The PS3 did have an enthusiastic fanbase amongst the core gaming audience. But you have to ask why that was.

There are two reasons. Sony's previous domination of the games market. And the way that Sony has hyped the PS3 prior to launch. The massive hype campaign, citing gigaflops and Cell processors led tech journalists and consumers to believe that Sony had the superior hardware. The war was over before it had begun. Sony's marketing machine are good at creating hype.

But since the launch I think that enthusiasm has collapsed. And the sales bear this out.

Why? Not because of a negative backlash on the Web - but because the product and the games are disapointing. Look at Gears of War and then look at a PS3 title and its suddenly hard to see what the extra money is delivering.

This is the second time this has happened now. Perhaps the PS3 should be re-named the PSP-Senior.

C.

You can't really argue about the Hardware, seeing as how the PS3 has nothing but 1st Gen Games.

As Graphics become more and more realistic, the margin between newer systems and older systems is going to drop. And when you compare a game that has been in development for a console that is already out, and thus has had a chance to tap out the hardware or come close, compared to the usual Launch Game Rush Development, the argument that Gears of War looks better or as good as any other PS3 game doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Sebastian
  • Reply 57 of 322
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    I have absolutely no idea what point you are making.
  • Reply 58 of 322
    Quote:

I have absolutely no idea what point you are making.

I'm assuming, but probably something along the lines of this:

Comparing an AAA game like Gears of War to worthless launch titles is pointlessly stupid.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go compare the graphics of Final Fantasy XII to Katamari Damacy.
  • Reply 59 of 322
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I am not interested in football, riced up cars, virtual mammaries or Yet Another First Person Shooter, and I thought the 360 had a rather poor launch lineup. To this date the only games I know of I'd like to play on it are GoW, Viva Pinata, some PC ports and Live Arcade games (Geometry Wars, etc. Siedler der Catan coming out on Live Arcade soonish). How long did GoW and Viva Pinata take to come out?

In contrast the PS3 will already have a "must-play" title in Virtua Fighter 5 in February, well before European launch. The most interesting PC game ports that the 360 has, FEAR and Oblivion, are also out in Feb. Gran Turismo HD is already out as free download. More interesting stuff is out later this year with unannounced dates. The common theme seems to be that the titles will be released "when they're done" and usually that's when the real gems and groundbreaking games are created - witness Half-Life, Starcraft, Max Payne, etc. I thought the PS3 would have difficulty in coming up with games but this doesn't seem to be the case. Judging from the projected releases, in summer the PS3 game selection has the 360 equaled, and before Xmas it has the 360 surpassed. Again, maybe it won't have every version of Madden released for the 360, but it will have the good stuff.

Don't take this as fanboy talk. I'd love to have every console. For now I'm buying none due to prices, and because I want my console to run JPN and US games, and because I want to run a fully functional general video player. (Running Linux on PS3 would allow that but there are downsides.) There are no proper modchips for anything out yet, just some chips for the 360 which let you run backup and pirated discs, neither of which I'm interested in.
  • Reply 60 of 322
    Quote:

I think the negativity towards the Playstation 3 stems from two things. First is the whole rootkit fiasco, even though that was a different department of Sony entirely. The other being the fact that 15-year-old boys, the demographic most prone to untamed fanboyism, can't afford it.

Interestingly, it seems like there's a huge anti-Sony bias playing out in blogs and on forums. Yet when you ask people what system they'll likely buy in the future (one or two years out, when prices have dropped to reasonable), there's near unanimous support for the PS3. The haters are just an obnoxious minority.

I'll tell you what it is. It's the aforementioned 15 y/o fanboys, but not just them. It's the "alternative" generation x/y crowd as well. You know, the 20 somethings that get excited over things like the Honda Element. These folks decided the Wii was their console, because really they're just a bunch of former Zelda and Super Mario 2 nerds that like the name "Wii" and it's "revolutionary" controller. Oh, and you can play Zelda on it! \