Workshop Ideas?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Im in an Apple group that is just starting at my college, and we wanted to do some workshops to let people know that its "ok" to have a mac. Beside the usually osx over view we were going to show people how to make a quick movie using iMovie and our mac labs. I was wondering if anyone on here has done something like this or if anyone had an idea on what we could do.

Our lab is intel based iMac's with loads of software. What programs would be effective in getting users to "switch" or join our group? thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nascarnate326 View Post

Im in an Apple group that is just starting at my college, and we wanted to do some workshops to let people know that its "ok" to have a mac. Beside the usually osx over view we were going to show people how to make a quick movie using iMovie and our mac labs. I was wondering if anyone on here has done something like this or if anyone had an idea on what we could do.

Our lab is intel based iMac's with loads of software. What programs would be effective in getting users to "switch" or join our group? thanks

One thing I would demonstrate is running windows under Parallels or Bootcamp, that'll get the die hard Windows fans to take a second look at Macs. Also, if people are running a Windows only program for a class or something, it'll make the Mac look that much more attractive.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lakingsfn View Post

One thing I would demonstrate is running windows under Parallels or Bootcamp, that'll get the die hard Windows fans to take a second look at Macs. Also, if people are running a Windows only program for a class or something, it'll make the Mac look that much more attractive.

Good idea, i knew there was stuff that I wouldnt have thought of. Thnks!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Just a few ideas off the top of my head (see note at bottom):

You need to show the ease with which everthing can be done on a Mac and the inter-connectedness of all of the iLfe apps as well as Pages and Keynote.

Put together a few short "how to"'s using video, screen captures, iMove, Keynote and let them see for themselves.

Start a newsletter using Pages. Use a large printer (A3 size or whatever the US equivelent of two pages of letter size is) and distribute. The theme could be tech oriented in general; tech in education, goldfish, whatever).

Start a webcast. A good one that is done regularly could require a staff of several people all doing different things (music, reporting, editing, directing, assembling, etc). Have different elements and you have a school news program. (One of the schools I teach at in Japan started a student news program, live over the intercom, every morning just before school... in English... they of course record everything and then post it to the school's site).

Create a tour of your campus that can be placed on an iPod and given to incoming freshmen.

Create a help class showing how to make proper bibliographies, papge formatting, quotations, etc. Some people don't know how to type; hold a typing class.

These may be bigger than workshops; workshops could be mini versions of the above.