VLC Streaming Issue?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm not sure if this is an application problem or a network issue, but I'm trying to stream a 700mb movie from my Windows PC over a 54mb 802.11g wireless network to my Mac using VLC. The movie pauses every few minutes for about 3 seconds. I'm asumming to rebuffer the stream. But I know the network can handle more than the stream's demanding because when I actually copy the movie over to the Mac's drive, it copies the whole thing in about 20 seconds.

Is there a way to increase the transfer rate so the stream is fluid? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smashbrosfan View Post

I'm not sure if this is an application problem or a network issue, but I'm trying to stream a 700mb movie from my Windows PC over a 54mb 802.11g wireless network to my Mac using VLC. The movie pauses every few minutes for about 3 seconds. I'm asumming to rebuffer the stream. But I know the network can handle more than the stream's demanding because when I actually copy the movie over to the Mac's drive, it copies the whole thing in about 20 seconds.

Is there a way to increase the transfer rate so the stream is fluid? Thanks in advance.

Your totally in wrong forum. If you look at the top it says this is Future Hardware, you need to post this in something like applications, genius bar, or general discussions.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Your totally in wrong forum. If you look at the top it says this is Future Hardware, you need to post this in something like applications.

Whoa, how did that happen?... I specifically remember clicking "Applications" before clicking "new thread"... Could an OP move this please?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    You are the OP. This isn't IRC
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Go to preferences-->Stream Output-->Access Output-->UDP and change the caching value to 5000(ms) that will cache 5 seconds worth of stream then see how that goes. It means when you pause it wont happen for 5 secs :-P I am pretty sure that is the one, I am at work so it is a quick looksey.

p.s. you need to hit the 'Advanced' checkbox down the bottom.